Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old December 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default "Blood and Fire" released

The new New Voyages episode (and the first since they changed the name from New Voyages to Phase II) has been released.

Star Trek: Phase II: Blood and Fire

For those who don't know, David Gerrold originally wrote this script for TNG but they shelved it because he wrote in a couple of gay crewmen on the Enterprise, which would have gone further towards showing Roddenberry's vision of a tolerant future but the studio execs didn't want to take that chance, I guess. But it's finally been made and part 1 has been released.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Fretslayer

Default Re: "Blood and Fire" released

'...they shelved it because he wrote in a couple of gay crewmen on the Enterprise.'

What?!
Who says you can't have happy people in space?

...huh?
Oh?
Really?
That's what gay mean?
*shudder*
Well then dern right they shouldn'ta had em on there!
LOL!
Some people.... sheesh.

Ok, really though - that shows the fear of the production staff. I mean, isn't that the same show where Riker had a fling with an androgynous character from planet shemale?

I remember all of the people were this boring unisex thing and they all wore brown jumpsuits. Riker was all sorts of messed up because he was attracted to one of them... Of course they made sure they mentioned that 'one' felt 'female' so I guess it wasn't that brave of a move.
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yes, I remember that one also. And I guess that was OK, but homosexuality wasn't. Plus, that gender-free thing was having a gender crisis and realized it was a "she," so all was well.

I'm waiting for the .wmv version to download this fan film. Hopefully it will be up soon. They have Quicktime up now, which is more than they had earlier. But I despise Quicktime. Yes, I know the Quicktime files will play on Windows Media Player, but they usually look crappy. (besides, I really like .wmv format)
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #4
mcmiller

The kids doing the snuggle scene in the middle of this act weren't really convincingly comfortable in showing some intimacy. But overall this series -- especially the acting -- has really improved over the last few years.... A very good professional look and polish to it. I noticed that David Gerrold directed this ep as well. I can't even imagine how much it takes to finance each of these productions.
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmiller View Post
The kids doing the snuggle scene in the middle of this act weren't really convincingly comfortable in showing some intimacy.
Yeah, but who watches these things for the acting? I mean, it's not like they can afford superb actors or anything, but they do the best they can with what they have.

Quote:
But overall this series -- especially the acting -- has really improved over the last few years.... A very good professional look and polish to it. I noticed that David Gerrold directed this ep as well. I can't even imagine how much it takes to finance each of these productions.
Yeah, I've wondered that as well. Though, Gerrold originally wrote the script for TNG. Maybe part of his "fee" was getting to direct it (I'm sure the guys at P2 didn't mind having a veteran at the helm anyway.) Plus, I think all of the big names who get involved in these films are like us, they love Trek and they're probably willing to take a pay cut to be involved in a project like this.

I'm thinking of downloading that Quicktime version after all. I really want to see this. Besides, it's Phase II, I'm sure it's good quality.
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Fretslayer

I guess I need to take a few more looks at this thing.
I saw a few Trek fan films in the past but life is that thing that happens when we're busy making plans and I've not kept up with it.

Guess I should.

Seems to me like the endorsements it's seeing from this site would warrant my attention.
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I got BaF all downloaded. So that I can watch it on my TV, I converted the .mp4 files to MPEG2 files and burnt a Super Video CD. I was gonna go DVD but the DVD files weren't much bigger than the MPEG2 files and that seemed like a waste of a 4.3 GB DVD. But the Super Video CD plays just fine on my DVD player.

In Harm's Way is still their best episode, IMO, but this new one is a worthy addition to the series.

Quote:
The kids doing the snuggle scene in the middle of this act weren't really convincingly comfortable in showing some intimacy.
Yeah, that did seem a bit forced, especially the longer it went on. I bet both of the actors were glad when they were done with that scene.