Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old October 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
kb7rky

Default Star Trek: Prospero

Hi all:

Long-time viewer, first time poster

Acting on a tip from tnpir4001, I decided to join this site to help draw attention to my new venture into the world of 3D animation.

I'd appreciate any and all input (constructive criticism GREATLY appreaciated ) on the following YouTube videos for the new Trek-based fanfilm, "Star Trek: Prospero"

Scene 2 is here.

I admit, it's rough, and could be a lot better, but I'm limited to what iClone 4 Pro has to offer (and to what I'm able to afford. Being unemployed sucks )

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and criticisms.

BTW: my name's Doug. "KB7RKY" is my ham radio callsign

PS: Moderator/Admin: if this thread's in the wrong forum, please move it to where it's more appropriate. Thanks!

Last edited by kb7rky; October 18th, 2011 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Corrected spelling, grammar, and added msg to admin/mods
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: Star Trek: Prospero

Welcome aboard Doug.

I like what you have done so far, I have very little idea how iClone works but I like it. not been an animator I cannot offer much in the way criticisms.

One of the things I read a lot of is lighting, again without knowing the limitations of your program I cannot point you in the directions I would normally do.

Have you considered trying Blender as an alternative, it has been making many strides since it first appeared.

You can find it and other free programs here.
http://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=22681

Getting back to the lighting and perhaps tnpir4001 would be the one to help better,

tut12-layout06 Image by Kier Darby

But its better to have key light and fill lights. If I find a better tutorial I will let you know.. or if anyone else can.

as our Image system is on the fritz you can use Flickr. its free

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3
gmd3d
Admin

Thread moved to On The Horizon section

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4
kb7rky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Thread moved to On The Horizon section
Thank you, sir! Very much appreciated!

Doug
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5
kb7rky

Quote:
Welcome aboard Doug.

I like what you have done so far, I have very little idea how iClone works but I like it. not been an animator I cannot offer much in the way criticisms.

One of the things I read a lot of is lighting, again without knowing the limitations of your program I cannot point you in the directions I would normally do.

Have you considered trying Blender as an alternative, it has been making many strides since it first appeared.

You can find it and other free programs here.
http://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=22681

Getting back to the lighting and perhaps tnpir4001 would be the one to help better,

tut12-layout06 by Taranis3dgladiator, on Flickr

But its better to have key light and fill lights. If I find a better tutorial I will let you know.. or if anyone else can.

as our Image system is on the fritz you can use Flickr. its free
Hi Taranis:

Thanks for the suggestions. iClone is an all-in-one renderer/movie maker (much like Blender and DAZ Studio), and it does have it's own lighting, but with an older computer, I have to pick and choose what I can run. I can't use iClone and any other imaging program (such as Blender, for instance) at the same time. When I'm gainfully employed again, I plan to purchase a faster computer.

I've got DAZ Studio as my alternate back-up (mainly for stills), but the models from Google 3D Warehouse won't work with that I use iClone because it offered a far better classic Star Trek "warp drive effect" (and because I haven't found a suitable one that will work with DAZ Studio), and because I can add better foley effects than I would be able to with DAZ. I don't know what renderer tnpir4001 uses, but he does fantastic work.

I'll try repositioning the lights in iClone and see how that works. It's a pain to get them just where I need them, let alone getting the timing and shading right

I have a Photobucket account that I use for my images and anew YouTube channel for when I get "Prospero" completed.

iClone is at http://www.reallusion.com

Incidentally, I was supposed to get a free version of iClone 5 Pro with my upgrade to iClone 4 Pro, but I have yet to see that. It's supposed to be much more user-friendly than the previous iClones.

Thanks again for your suggestions...I will certainly implement those as I get the successive scenes written and rendered.

And, thanks for moving this thread here. Greatly appreciated!

Doug
Old October 18th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #6
gmd3d
Admin

No problem.

glad to have you aboard and its always great to see a new TOS trek project

I really cannot help with the iClone aspect ..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 18th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #7
kb7rky

Quote:
No problem.

glad to have you aboard and its always great to see a new TOS trek project

I really cannot help with the iClone aspect ..
That's not a problem...your diagram was very informative. I plan to implement this at some point in the production. It's good to get plenty of assistance, even if said assistance is just a few suggestions to make improvements.

I've always wanted to write an episode of Star Trek...now, to have the capability to write an entire series is mindboggling

Doug
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #8
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7rky View Post
That's not a problem...your diagram was very informative. I plan to implement this at some point in the production. It's good to get plenty of assistance, even if said assistance is just a few suggestions to make improvements.

I've always wanted to write an episode of Star Trek...now, to have the capability to write an entire series is mindboggling

Doug
Have to say the diagram is part of a old tutorial by Kier Darby for his Better Space tutorial, alas the website is now gone.
but I should have given proper credit to Kier.

I have wanted to try my hand at over the years, we even involved in a few fan films .. only one was ever finished and I only created a visual effect.

I look forward to seen what you create

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs