Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old April 3rd, 2002, 12:44 PM   #1
Rustedborg

Default Where do you get your books?

Anyone who has a book collection of more than 100 or so books probably has a favorite place to buy them. Where's yours?

I'm partial to a Half Price Bookstore down the road from my place. I also bid on the occasional book at ebay.

Is there an unknown source for books that's been the find of a lifetime for you?
Old April 3rd, 2002, 12:58 PM   #2
Ryoken3D

Coles.. If they don't have it they get it

Ryoken
Old April 3rd, 2002, 01:11 PM   #3
pcmacman
Word Association Guy
Obese Threadmaker

Family...

Most of the books on my shelf are either perminantly borrowed from my parents or relatives. And some I just found and put there and eventually read them. Many of them are books that I've had to read for school but enjoyed them enough to make my brother buy his own copy when he had to read them.... most of them are plays. And alot of the books are just general reference. I have a set of popular mechanics how-to books from the 50s.
I beleive this night holds for each and every one of us the very meaning of our lives.
This is a war and we are soldiers.
What if tomorrow the war could be over?
Isn't that worth fighting for?
Isn't that worth dying for?
[/i]

"Is it fair for the stuffed dog and the stuffed duck to hold the same place in your heart?" - Fry

[url=http://pcmacman.deviantart.com]pcmacman.deviantart[/url]
[/size]
[url=http://www.dialasong.com]dial-a-song.com[/url]
pcmacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2002, 01:17 PM   #4
Crossbow

Half Price Books for most of my fiction, and a good part of my non-fiction too. Barnes & Noble (especially the discount stuff) gets the majority of the rest. Occasionally I'll order online or buy at a con. There's also a little place near me called Max Backs, where I tend to get a lot of my scifi and fantasy...
Old April 3rd, 2002, 01:46 PM   #5
Sho

Amazon.de
Old April 3rd, 2002, 02:04 PM   #6
Nadia

over the internet. since most of the book we have are in russian and there aren't too many russian bookstores around pennsylvania, we get 'em over the internet. i also go to half price books and borders. well, i go to borders to sit in the comfy chairs and read more than anything else.
Old April 4th, 2002, 09:19 AM   #7
chrono

Well I get quite a few of my books from Waldens, only because of the discount and low priced book section. They've never had a HUGH section of books in any of their 3 local stores, so I tend to 'shop-a-round' for the books I can't find at Waldens. Lately though I've been going to Borders more and more because of their freaking HUGH select of book titles. Their SF section alone is about triple the size of Waldens and they also have a far more diverse magazine collection also.
Old April 4th, 2002, 09:46 AM   #8
Kai
Victorian Engineer

me? I hunt for them

a midsized tranq dart is good for bringing down a Terry Prachett.....

seriously I do hunt for them.. 2nd hand stores, fairs etc...

Oneday I hope to have a First Edition Arkham House HPL book... tho they go for £2,500 upwards....

I have a standing book order list at the Fantasy Center in holoway rd london..... A shop I recommend for collectors... everything from the 1950's Pulps through to modern day paperbacks...
The shakes become a warning
It is by Caffiene alone I set my mind in Motion
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #9
Arrghman

usually i just get stuff from amazon, being too lazy to actually drive to a book store and all
Old April 4th, 2002, 11:14 AM   #10
Ryoken3D

Oh and 'Chaptors' is nice too..

Ryoken
Old April 4th, 2002, 06:00 PM   #11
Guinan

I"m not too picky. I get the ST hardback books at Barnes and Noble or Waldenbooks in the mall. I used to pick up paperbacks at Walmart, where I live now, Wally world is too far to go for a book. :p It's mostly Waldenbooks or I look them up on Amazon.com.
Old April 4th, 2002, 06:43 PM   #12
Commodore-SirJohn
Larger than the
average starship
captain

Anywhere I find them...
Old April 7th, 2002, 08:33 AM   #13
Caudex

Bookcity, the oldest and largest bookstore in Hollywood - all second hand, 1 buck for mass market paperbacks. Great sci-fi section, and they even have a framed pic of Isaac Asimov on the wall
Old April 10th, 2002, 01:51 PM   #14
Fëanor

I usually get mine at Borders, garage sales, markets and the USS Hornet Museum gift shop :p I get a 25% discout at that last one