Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old April 17th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

ATTENTION Star Trek XI: Most likely TOS-era

I didn't see anything about this in the forums, but I want to see it there, so I'm doing it.

Supposedly, the next Star Trek film is supposed to be set in the year 2010 and deal with the Eugenics Wars. It's going to be filmed in Australia. This is the only good source I've been able to find right now:

http://www.trekweb.com/articles/2005...80605171.shtml

So, if anybody knows of any other sources, even if it's just a rumor site, please list them below. This one little source is barely enough to wet my appetite and I want to know more. Thanks in advance.
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:46 AM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Ok, I realize the last little rumor post was a year old, but Trek fans feast your eyes on this baby hot off the press:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=3&id=35587

It would appear that the producers are going a slightly different direction.....
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

ATTENTION

So, am I the only one over here that wants to talk about this thing? C'mon, I know there are Trek fans here with opinions. You think it's going to be the best movie they've made? You think it'll be a huge pile of monkey dung? Let's talk about it.

Here, just in case you need another source with the lowdown about this thing, here's the best one:

BREAKING NEWS: J.J. Abrams to Produce/Direct "Trek XI"

There, direct from the source.

I personally think the movie has potential, though it also has a chance of being the worse thing since Highlander 2. (Sorry to Highlander 2 fans, but that was garbage. I mean, he killed the big immortal and won the prize. THE END. This does not count the Highlander TV series, as that happened before the first movie.)

So, somebody respond. If you think ignoring me will make me go away, you are sadly mistaken.
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

The first question that came to my mind was who will play younger versions of Kirk and Spock?
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Ah, those questions came to my mind as well. Also, will the person who plays Kirk speak in that ridiculously overdramatic fashion in which William Shatner speaks? Remember, that came in handy in The Paradise Syndrome, so you can't just dismiss it.

I can't think of anyone that's out there right now that would really fit either role. But, I'm sure they're still a while away from casting, the director just got assigned, the script still needs to be written. It will be iteresting to see who the pick, though.
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #6
Alisa

I'm excited to see another trek movie. This one looks interesting. I would really love to see ones with the DS9 / Voyager crews, to see what happened after those series.
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'm with you on that one. I'd also like to see one with the Ent crew and the Romulan wars. Also, I hope they develop the early idea for doing the Eugenics Wars into a future movie.
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Alisa

If they can get some good writers, there's SO much subject matter they could develop from things that were started in the various series..

One thing that worries me..the new one is 11 - and I seem to recall that the odd number films never did well..and weren't as good as the even ones - let's hope this will break that trend!
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #9
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Actually, Nemesis was #10 and it sucked it hard at the box office. I personally loved it, but it did the worst out of all of them. I think that's why the powers-that-be got some fresh blood in for this one.
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Alisa

Good point. I have to say that I've never seen a trek show or movie that I really HATED ;-), but Nemesis certainly wasn't my favorite.

It definitely will be interesting to see what the MI crew does with the Trek universe.
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I want to see M:I III. That looks sweet. Really, the Trek movie that is in the bottom of the barrel is STV, that one went off the beaten path a little too much. My all-time fav is STIV. That was my first experience with Trek when I was a kid and it's still the best.
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #12
Alisa

I think my 2 favorites were II and IV. The humor in IV was just wonderful - as well as the relationships between the crew that made the show so wonderful (that quality was definitely missing in the first movie). I wasn't crazy about V, either...maybe tied with I for my least favorite. Of course, least favorite is relative - I'd still rather re-watch almost any Trek movie than many others. :->

I don't tend to go to the movie theatre other than for new Trek movies, so will look forward to catching MI III when it comes to HBO or Showtime.
Old April 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #13
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Usually I wait for movies to hit DVD before I watch them. Movie theater prices are way too high these days.

I like Star Trek TMP, especially the Collector's Editon DVD with the CGI in it. Though, I do love 4, where they let their hair down some. 2 was great also, especially in the space battle area. Insurrection was also fun with the humor, especially after serious FC. (that battle scene in FC needed to be about 20 minutes longer, though )
Old April 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #14
Alisa

Let's hope the new movie will live up to some of these greats!!
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #15
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Apparently the idiots at StarTrek.com are even more stupid than we already knew they were. They released the story about J.J. Abrams to do the next movie a little prematurely. And the story about doing the film on Kirk and Spock is apparently a bunch of felgarcarb. (did I spell that right, Warrior?)

Abrams Objects To Inaccurate Reporting On Trek XI
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #16
Alisa

Thanks for the update!
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #17
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

At least somebody appreciates all the work I did to find this on a thread on another site's forum and steal it.
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #18
Alisa

Lol!!!
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:03 AM   #19
ada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
Lol!!!

it will be time !!!!!!!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM   #20
batboy853
Shuttle Pilot

well, the thing with nemesis was that it was released at bad time.

i mean lord of the rings III was realeased the next week, so that gave it a bad shot

but i am pumped about the new movie, how ever i would have rather have seen the romulan war trilogy. that was also what rumors were saying six months ago.
batboy853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM   #21
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I was deployed to Afghanistan when Nemesis came out and didn't know how it did until recently, but I like it. Fortunately, about a week after I got back from Afghanistan, it came out on DVD and I bought it.

I'd rather see the Romulan war or Eugenics war myself, but who knows what they'll do with it. After all, Abrams just got signed and doesn't even have a script yet. He's only hinted about how he may go with it.
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #22
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I just hope to hell this is viscious rumor with no basis on factual events at all.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/c...entryid=320544
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #23
morganzacd5p

Oh Dear God!

On the one hand, I have a deep dislike of him. But on the other, i like to give actors a chance to play a character.
Maybe.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #24
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

About the only good thing that might come from Affleck playing Kirk is our assurance that he will in fact be able to speak in that stupid manner that Bill made popular.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #25
djw1971

I'm new here, but have been throwing this topic around on another website. This premise with Kirk and Spock in their academy days was first introduced by Harve Bennett years ago, and was completely shotdown by the powers that be. I could see something like this as a tv movie or possibly even a new series, but I just cant see it making it as a feature movie.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #26
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Welcome. Yeah, that sounds like something Harve would have come up with, he and William Shatner co-wrote ST5, need I say more. That's fine for a TV show or TV movie (hopefully on cable so I don't have a chance of accidentally catching it) but I agree that they need something better for a big screen flick. This idea of Harve's is like Star Trek meets Saved by the Bell.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #27
djw1971

If I remember correctly without digging out old magazines, he originally wanted to do it as a tv movie, and have it start out with Shatner and Kelly reminiscing, and then go from there. Like I said, it would definitely make a good tv special. I've been trying to think of something they could do that would be awesome, but nothing really spectacular comes to mind right now. All the series have pretty much covered everything they've done over and over...and I dont feel Enterprise would really make for good movie material. If they wanna go into the past, they should come up with something really original instead of going back to the same characters. At least in my opinion
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #28
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Romulan Wars

Eugenics Wars

'nuff said.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM   #29
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

OK, I know I haven't updated the news recently, but that's because I haven't been able to find much more than scraps. Here's what I've got right now:

Lost executive producer Bryan Burk is on board now (big surprise) and he's saying that the Starfleet Academy story with Kirk and Spock leaked too soon, dismissing the notion. Unfortunately, he didn't exactly deny it either. *shudders*

Here's a link to a full interview with him:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=36261

That's about all I have right now. I know it's not much, but that's because the updates on this are harder to find than details on the Vulcan mating rituals.

More later. (hopefully)
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #30
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

I think we need something totally different. A Starfleet Academy story or anything with Kirk and Spock would just be picky, like which actors should or shouldn't, etc. I think they need something fresh, something different and something with new people (if they're adamdant that they won't be bringing back the TNG cast, etc.)
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote