Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old January 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #1
SONGOKU316

POST Godzilla Movies

This thread is for "Godzilla" movies and all other movies which are made by Toho studios or any other which fall within this genre.
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

All Godzilla *except* that "remake" American version, right?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #3
SONGOKU316

POST "Gojira" the original uncut movie.

I saw the original movie "Gojira" A.K.A "Godzilla" movie last year.It is way better than the 1956 american dubbed movie,with a darker and more poigniant tale of the atomic age
monster.This movie is in japanese with subtitles and it looks as good as ever on the big screen in B&W.Go see this movie before it comes out on DVD,it is worth it to see this classic at the movies.And also post your reviews here,Thanks.
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #4
SONGOKU316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
All Godzilla *except* that "remake" American version, right?
1956 & 1998 are both bad american remakes ,but it makes for a interesting post.
"Americanization" of godzilla movies in the past including american actors in the films,good or bad?Your opinion? :thumbup:
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

The '98 version is MUCH worse than the '56 version. At least the '56 version still had the original Godzilla in it.

Anyways... My fav overall has to be Destroy All Monsters.
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #6
SONGOKU316

O.K. the "56" american version is good but Raymond Burr's acting is bad.
But i agree with you on Destroy All Monsters it's good :thumbup:
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #7
XFozzboute
Flight Instructor

My favorite has always been Godzila vs Hedora. Although Destroy All Monsters is right up there.
I found Final Wars very dissapointing.
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Mustang

In Godzilla: KOTM(King of the Monsters) Raymund Burr was very believable in his description of Godzilla's Attack on Japan, the Visual effects would always through me and I'm not one for old black and white so I recorded the movie's sound via a Karaoke Machine and listened to Burr's reports on my Radio.

If you do it during a Thunderstorm, it is unbelievable.

Godzilla 1985 was also good, it showed the Darkside of G, as opposed to such childish hsows like 'Godzilla vs. Atlantis.' where jet Jaguar guest starred. I was mad that though in it, Burr did not report on the eventsl ike in KOTM, in fact no one did. Ocassionally you heard a radio broadcast saying, "Godzilla is here! RUN, FLEE!" but the overall movie was executed nicely since it gave more realism then the good guy Godzilla phase. Gozilla is described in stages, which ones I can't quite remember but it is like the shin goji era was where he played a good guy was friendly looking. I prefer his darker times to be honest.

My favorites are,
KOTM
Godzilla vs. Biollante(sequel to 1985)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidora
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II & III(really cheesy though)
Godzilla, Mothra, & King Ghidora All out Monster Attack(By far the best adaptation of Godzilla, he represented the souls lost by the innocent in WWII, the Visual effects were the best out of all Godzilla films and it had a compelling story)
Godzilla vs. Gigan(yes its the good guy era, but I like thiso ne because Godzilla talked!)

Last edited by Mustang; February 13th, 2006 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: spellchecked
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #9
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I know this is coming out of left field a little, but has anyone seen the latest Godzilla flick: Final Wars. It's pretty f*n outstanding. The aliens from Planet X are back and they're up to no good. Basically, it's 2 hours of Godzilla fighting every monster out there and a new one or 2. (He even fights and kills a monster called Zilla that looks a lot like the U.S. Godzilla from the '98 movie.) I have it on DVD. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

As for Godzilla movies in general, I love them all except for Godzilla's Revenge. That one with everything being in that kid's mind was stupid in my book. The rest are awesome.
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #10
Fretslayer

I saw GFW. It was a fun movie however it was like watching Xmen+Star Wars+Matrix set against the backdrop of a Godzilla story. I did get a kick out of what they did with 'Gino'.

Would anybody know where I might find a Godzilla mesh?
I've been trying to create one for a long time but I think it looks more like a pile of rubbish than an atomic hellbeast.

Oh and if you haven't seen the real (Japanese) version of Gojira - check it out. It is 100x better than the 'Raymond Burr' version.
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #11
XFozzboute
Flight Instructor

I just picked up a new double DVD that has both the original Gojira and the Ramond Burr American version. It kicks ass although I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the American version yet.
Old October 7th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #12
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks, guys. Now I'll have to get this new DVD and replace my old Raymond Burr version. I don't know why they think we're stupid here in America and need that "Americanized" version with American actors, but I always enjoy the Japanese Gojira films with just a straight translation, not Raymond Burr walking around saying, "What did he say?" and "I'm afraid my Japanese is a little rusty."
Old October 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #13
XFozzboute
Flight Instructor

It's not too hard to understand because the Americanized Godzilla was brought to use by Harold Ross & Richard Kay, there biggest success before that was a movie called Untamed Women. These guys where olny a step or two above Ed Wood.

Even worse is the remake of the Amercanized Godzilla is that Ramond Burr's character was named Steve Martin. For the remake they never actually mention his full name becasue the producers thought the audiance would get confused because the comic Steve Martin was popular at the time.
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #14
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, he was Steve Martin in the original, but just "Steve" or "Mr. Martin" in the 1985 version. Like people are that friggin' stupid that they're going to get Raymond Burr's character confused with the actor Steve Martin. After all, most of us who saw the 1985 movie saw the Americanized original and knew his name was Steve Martin in the movie.l

I didn't know who did the original Godzilla, I just know it's not as enjoyabe as it should be because of the Raymond Burr parts. But, it makes sense now.
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #15
Fretslayer

After seeing the real Japanese version of the movie, now when I see the U.S version it's more like a comedy.
Just watch the awful editing and dialogue between the characters.
It's really quite funny.
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #16
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I do that on a lot of movies.
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #17
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

I now have the Gojira and BurrZilla DVD's, as well as Final Wars, and 2000.

I loves me some Godzilla stomping Tokyo!