Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #1
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

Default Doctor Who 2005

Well, all us Brits are close to finally answering the question on everyone's lips - what is Bad Wolf? But for you other US, Aussies, etc. you just have to wait and see how really good this series is.

So, as Warrior wants, talk about it :P
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #2
Kakaze

I don't have to wait for jack, thanks to the miracle of the internet.
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #3
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakaze
I don't have to wait for jack, thanks to the miracle of the internet.
Word!
shugotenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #4
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

I'm not too keen on downloading films or TV shows, being an aspiring filmmaker myself, but I can't wait to see if somebody picks up the new series here in the States.
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:29 AM   #5
moovok

Trust me, 95% of the episodes are top notch, of course you have the odd blip here and there...

Spoiler
Dalek's appear. We see the Doctor's DARK side and Big Brother is launched
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #6
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

Well you caught me off guard - I didn't even know there was a new Doctor Who out there. I'm an old fan from the Tom Baker days. Our PBS station carried everything from the beginning to the end with McCoy. I sort of like the made for TV version. So can you give me a site to check out on this? I am most interested.
McAfee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #7
moovok

At the moment the site is littered with spoilers for the final episode, hence it says you should "not visit the internet until the last episode" cause there's gonna be pictures and stuff of

Spoiler
Davros

But if you want to throw caution to the wind: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #8
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Welcome to the site, McAfee!

I also like Tom Baker the best, followed closely by John Pertwee. My least favorite Doctor would have to be Sylvester McCoy. Just far too idiotic for my tastes.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand...

I think they probably were smart to use the old villians. I'm sure not all of them would work, though. Can you really see them bringing back the old-style Cybermen for 21st century audiences? They'd get laughed right into cancellation.

On the other hand, I'd love to see The Master return in some form (NOT a slug like in the awful TV movie they did in the 90's).
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #9
Kai
Victorian Engineer

hey Moovok.. we don't know it's him.. since that voice is the voice of the Dalek Emperor from the Dalek Empire Series...
The shakes become a warning
It is by Caffiene alone I set my mind in Motion
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #10
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

The Cybermen would not be all that bad actually. They DID update them if you remember in the one of the McCoy episodes - Silver Nemesis. It was a woman and she was more like a terminator in nature, and almost industructible. I think they would be fine. I think Devos is always been a pain the Doctors behind of millenium, so he's pretty obvious. The Master is good. How about something to do with Omega? He and the Doctor seem to be tied somehow.
Old June 15th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #11
moovok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
hey Moovok.. we don't know it's him.. since that voice is the voice of the Dalek Emperor from the Dalek Empire Series...
Don't forget spoiler tags and hey Kai, thought you'd gone ages ago... anyway, spoiler tags, but the rumours suggest him, though nobody knows until Saturday Night.... I can't wait...
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #12
Kai
Victorian Engineer

"Breaking News: Third Series, Special & More - Updated!
June 15, 2005
At tonight's BAFTA screening of "The Parting of the Ways," the final episode of this first series of "Doctor Who," producer Russell T Davies and BBC executive Jane Tranter announced that a third series of the show has now been commissioned, including a second Christmas special. They also noted that Billie Piper (Rose) would be in all the episodes of the second series, although whether she would return for the third was apparently still being discussed, and that John Barrowman (Captain Jack) will be returning to the series next year but will not appear in the first block of episodes. (Says our correspondent, Barrowman was also in the audience at the screening, and when Davies announced his return, he yelled out, "And I'm willing to get naked again, too!")

Also mentioned at the BAFTA screening was a title for this year's Christmas special: The Christmas Invasion. That, and the season two block of thirteen episodes, will go into production in July. More details as we get them.

Update 15 June 2230 GMT: CBBC News has confirmed the story. Says the report, "Just days before the current run of the sci-fi show is due to end, its makers have revealed that there are at least two more series to come. ... In addition to two more series, there will also be Christmas specials for 2005 and 2006, the show's makers said. That means Dr Who fans have a total of 28 more episodes to look forward to when the current series ends. Billie Piper will continue playing Rose until at least the end of series two. ... The show's main writer, Russell T Davies, said: 'What was most pleasing is that people have been watching this series as a family. I think a children's show should have a full range of emotions including grief and comedy.' A few hints have also been dropped as what viewers can expect from the new episodes: The new doctor will have a new outfit, we'll be seeing more of Rose's boyfriend and her mum, and scary aliens called the Cybermen will be making a return."

"
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #13
Kakaze

Cybermen! Yesssss!
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #14
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

Cybermen - so I was right. How's that for a good guess.
Old June 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #15
moovok

Well, I was okay with some bits, especially the ending, but how everything did end was slightly iffy, especially the Rose part... but...

Spoiler
It was the Emperor Dalek, which was okay. Rose being "all powerful" because of the Tardis was slightly bad. But it was a shame that Christopher Eccleston died at the end to regeneration - which was rather GOOD graphics - into David Tennant. His few lines, good, but can't wait till Christmas

Invasion of who I hear you say?
Old June 20th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #16
catlin_mc

This series of Doctor Who has got to be the best ever.
It has been my most favourite program since I was a kid.
I'm just so sad that the first series is over and I won't get to see this Dr again.
Oh well time will tell if the new Doctor is as good as his predesesor.
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #17
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

So what doctor # will this make?
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #18
moovok

Christopher Eccleston = 9th
David Tennant = 10th

3 more left to go
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #19
Kakaze

Why the hell did they have to consider McGann an actual doctor? That movie was horrible.
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:13 AM   #20
moovok

I actually liked that Doctor personally... though I hope they actually have a cross over of Doctor #8, Doctor #9 and Doctor #10, make it interesting and allow McGann to actually do something special with his Doctor.

Russel T Davies has said that since "Bad Wolf" has gone, they'll be another word clouding the second series, which has already been said in the last episode of the first season and will appear in the Christmas Special. Is he lying or telling the truth, I'm not sure, but I'd like to see what it is... Maybe a message from an old Doctor Or maybe it's "Barcelona"
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:01 AM   #21
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

I remember the BBC doing alot of internet episodes with Paul McGann as doctor 8, as well as some radio adventures. They seemed popular. That might be the reason he was considered for the t.v series.
shugotenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM   #22
Kai
Victorian Engineer

the 8th Doctor has his "time" in Audio Plays by Big Finish ( www.bigfinish.com ) trust me.. they are rather good

for fans of the Cybermen check out the BF audio "Spare Parts" with the 5th Doctor.. you'll love it

interesting to note.. the new series had / has a lot of the Big Finish crew working on it.. right down to Nick Briggs reprising his Dalek voices from the Dalek Empire Saga for the TV... and the episode Dalek is infact a reworking of the 6th Doctor BF audio "Jubilee"...
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #23
operaghost

I have yet to see the new Doctor who series. iremember the last DW adventure was with Paul McGann as the Doctor. the new Doctor has some big shoes to fill . Like Pertwee, Tom and Colin Baker and Sylvester Mccoy. I heard that Steven Spielberg is planning a film of DW with either Michael Palin or John Cleese as the Doctor and Alan Rickman as the Master.
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:35 AM   #24
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

By the time Steven Spielberg gets around to it, it will be the last regeneration.
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #25
orcdoc
Novice

I think tey should cast Sean Pertwee as the final Doctor, he's a really good actor and it would be a nice way to round out the character.
orcdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:59 PM   #26
section33

well atm tennents lookin pretty good at the role. in the short that was on durin children in need
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #27
jotoki365

Default tennent

cant see tennent being as good as ecclestone. I've been watching DW since I wasn a kid......well a lot of years ago lets say. IMHO apart from Tom Baker Christopher Ecclestone was the best there has been with Jon Pertwee a close third. Tennent has VERY big shoes to fill.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:40 AM   #28
moovok

The new series is supposidly starting in April/May time... new Doc... new series... new adventures... :O
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:52 AM   #29
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

"New series" = new season to US folk... Brits are a strange lot
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM   #30
Kai
Victorian Engineer

Doctor Who 2006 - Starting April 15th 7pm with the Episode 'The New Earth' on BBC 1
followed by the new series of Dr Who Confidential on BBC3

Also : Billie Piper and David Tennant have signed up for the 2007 Season and Xmas Special..

and later this year, all going to plan, is the 13 part spinoff TORCHWOOD starring Captain Jack...