Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 13th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #1
dfalconet

Default "Middle aged" sci-fi movies

I didn't want to say "old" movies because they are some of my favorites and .....well, you know...................................

One of my favorites, "Silent running", already has a thread over in the "On the Horizon" forum. It is already 3 pages long with 63 posts. But, feel free to add to this thread if you would like to say something about the movie itself.

Another favorite is the original "War of the Worlds". At the time it was released, the special effects were spectacular. Of course, by today's standards, you may think they are quite lame. But in those days, the story itself was at least as important as the action and effects.
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #2
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

"Total Recall" - classic, original and brilliant
"Alien" - come on, FANTASTIC film and in that time, special effects were nearly null
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #3
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

One of my favorites, despite being fifty years old: "Forbidden Planet."

The effects were incredible for the time, Leslie Nielsen was excellent in one of his few serious roles as the spaceship captain, and Ann Francis was (all due respect) HOT in those short dresses. Not to mention a very good script and excellent performances across the board.

I also like the original version of "The Thing." I actually prefer it to the effects-heavy Carpenter remake.
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #4
General Phoenix

BTW, since I'm sure that someone will mention 1968's "2001: A Space Odyssey" I have to say that I prefer the 80's sequel "2010: The Year We Make Contact."

Mainly because Peter Hyams did a great job of wrapping the effects around a very tightly-written script. As much as I like the visuals of "2001," the whole film seemed to be about the special effects, and it pulled me too far out of the story itself.

Besides, "2010" had a couple of my favorite actors in it, including Roy Scheider and Helen Mirren, in one of her few nudity-free roles. I liked it anyway.
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #5
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

Did anyone watch the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy movie that came out recently?
shugotenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #6
moovok

"Middle aged" sci-fi movies aren't really latest ones. If you want to discuss the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy there's enough threads (or create your own) on the subject
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #7
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

I forgot to add in the subject of the 1984 hitchhickers guide, which is middle-aged, in my original post. But you're right I shall start a new tread. Sorry if I offened you.
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

I love many of the classic scifi films.

Pisses me off that todays Hollywood can't come up with original stuff, so they "re-make" everything. And act like they are the originators.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #9
moovok

You didn't offend, and there was no 1984 Hitchhiker's Guide movie, radio maybe, film nope. I kinda like some of the new films, but films like Day After Tomorrow, there was no story whatsoever. With the old films, they had 90 minutes usually, maybe 2 hours to condense not only a plausable story but try with their budget to do some great special effects, but they did it.

Nowadays it's more special effects then develop a story around that...
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #10
General Phoenix

Odd you should mention remakes, Darrell - since "Forbidden Planet" which I mentioned before is reportedly a futuristic retelling of Shakespeare's "The Tempest." I'd expand on that, but I never actually read "The Tempest" having had my fill of badly-performed Shakespeare back in high school.
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #11
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

A book to a movie/TV show is one thing. But re-making movies/TV shows I do not understand.

Why don't they call it something else, since it's NOT like the original in the first place?

Good example- Charlie's Angels. Movies are nothing like the series. Since it's different, why use the name?

Latest one to irk me? The Honeymooners.

I've nothing against the skin color changes, BUT... what if The Jeffersons got the same treatment? What if Archie Bunker got that treatment? Or Sanford and Son?

...oye. I need nap.
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #12
p.s. Cargile
Master Pilot

"Outland". I used to have a copy of that on VHS--a pirated copy I got in Okinawa before they were shut down--and would love to findi it on DVD someday. Sean Connery playing cop of Ganydeme busting drug users. Hey, there's not really spiders in your pressure suit. . .

Then there was a movie "Saturn--" something, a number I think. Had Farrah Fawcett in it and some robot with a human brain. Robot goes mad, high-jinks ensue.

Last edited by p.s. Cargile; June 15th, 2005 at 11:15 PM..
p.s. Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #13
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Saturn 3 is the Farrah movie you're thinking of.
Old June 15th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #14
fls13
Shuttle Pilot

The original Planet of the Apes was a great movie. Westworld was really good. 2001 is one of my all-time favorites. A Clockwork Orange certainly had elements of sci-fi although it was more of a social satire. Heavy Metal was good stuff, too.
fls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #15
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

I always found Planet of the Apes a bit disturbing. Not sure why.
I like The Black Hole. A bit sappy, but hey, it was a Disney film.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #16
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

When I saw Black hole, I thought that the ending left open the possibility of a sequel...
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #17
fls13
Shuttle Pilot

A few others after racking my brain, and doing some internet browsing to refresh my memory.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea-The Kirk Douglas/James Mason version from the 50s. The squid fight was awfully good for its' time.

Marooned-I saw this in the theatre when I was a kid and it was awesome. Gregory Peck and Gene Hackman in a space rescue thriller.

Slaughterhouse Five-I wouldn't have thought of it as sci-fi, but with the time travel elements and the aliens from Tralfamadore, I guess it is. I loved this movie.
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #18
p.s. Cargile
Master Pilot

How could I forget Heavy Metal. I found it to be better than the recent Heavy Metal 2000.

ANd I don't know how many times I watched "Time Bandits" on HBO. And "Krull." Horses that leave fire in their tracks--what was that all about?
p.s. Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #19
dfalconet

Wow! You are all bringing back some great memories. And I have remembered another one. It is "On the Beach". It was only marginally a sci fi. It was much different than the current end of the world movies. In this one, there was no one to save the world at the last minute. Have any of you seen it?
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #20
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Not I. Never heard of it.

Time Bandits! 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! Loved them both.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #21
General Phoenix

Wow - can't believe I forgot about "Saturn 3." That was actually the first movie I got to see with any sort of nudity in it.

My dad was/is a big sci-fi fan, so he figured it was okay since it was a S/F movie. It was also the first thing I ever saw Harvey Kietel in. What ever happened to that guy, anyway?
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #22
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

My mom got this DVD set of a series that came out in the sixties called the avengers that I'm currently borrowing. though this is a mystery series by the looks of it.
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #23
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Well, middle aged classics would certainly include the aforementioned 'Forbidden Planet' (1956!!!). Yes, it was 'Tempest' inspired but the film was very mature when compared to it's contemporaries and, even, modern films. I have to say that 'The Illustrated Man' (1968) and 'Colossus, The Forbin Project' (1970) were films that I still have fond memories of.

Other still excellent films, in their middle age would be:

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The 27th Day (1957)

Aside form those other excellent ones mentioned above!

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #24
General Phoenix

Paul, you mentioned "Outland", right? Check at the closest Best Buy or Fry's store, and you should find it on DVD for about $10.00. For an older, somewhat low-budget film, the video transfer is excellent.

It's considered a "B-movie" by most of the FX-junkies, so it's pretty cheap to pick up these days.
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #25
fls13
Shuttle Pilot

Just saw that Westworld is going to be on Turner Classic Movies this Tuesday at 9:45pm eastern time. If you've never seen it and get TCM, check it out. :O)
Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:40 AM   #26
STEVEFRIARS
Shuttle Pilot

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Tron. I mean, come on! - glow-in-the-dark swimming caps, frisbee battles, and those big scary space invader things - Classic!
They should really remake it. Without Keanu Reeves.
STEVEFRIARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #27
Skullsplitter
Bad Email Address

How 'bout Metropolis ? It was made in 1926, some of the acting seems hammy by todays standards, but it set the bar for movie special effects & the design of the Robot maria was adapted for C3PO in Star Wars.

Oh, & BTW watch it without the modern soundtrack.

& please hollywood don't do a remake - it'd suck, just like all the other remakes of foreign films do.
Skullsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #28
STEVEFRIARS
Shuttle Pilot

There is a Japanese animated semi-remake of Metropolis, I believe.
I was always very impressed with the robot in that fillm and was quite disillusioned to find out that (1) it was made of wood (painted to look metallic) and (2) there was a bloke inside it.
STEVEFRIARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #29
Skullsplitter
Bad Email Address

Actually the person inside the robot costume in Meropolis was Brigitte Helm - the actress who played Maria - you can find on set photos of her in the costume online.
Skullsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:31 AM   #30
xantor

The metropolis robot was the best costume in a science fiction film till star wars came out IMO.

Them! and This island earth are quite good, the special effects and dialogue are laughable at times but they were very good films.