Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old August 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM   #31
STEVEFRIARS
Shuttle Pilot

Skullsplitter was right - I found pictures of Brigitte Helm in that robot costume online. Can't have been very comfortable for her.
It just squeezes by as science fiction, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Krull - a real 80s classic. After Tron, it was the best film to feature a hero with a magic frisbee.
STEVEFRIARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #32
SONGOKU316

Speaking of "Middle age movies" how about these two.

"The Last Starfighter" as good as "Tron" but more sci-fi in theme. :cylon:
"Dark Star" a real funny sci-fi classic by john carpenter.
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:07 AM   #33
jotoki365

Default post apocalyptic

I personally love post apocalyptic stuff (dark mind that i have). Stuff like Soylent Green and the Omega man. No I'm not a Heston fan just like those movies. The quiet earth is another. War of the worlds the old one. The new one is ok but they really messed up the ending. It ended up being almost an after thought where in the original movie it was integral to the resolution. I too wish hollywood could find writers with original ideas but sadly while people keep going to these money spinning creatively starved remakes they'll keep making them. Alien and Aliens (not three and 4 though). There are others too but they dont come to mind right now.
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #34
nyrath

COOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfalconet
Another favorite is the original "War of the Worlds". At the time it was released, the special effects were spectacular. Of course, by today's standards, you may think they are quite lame. But in those days, the story itself was at least as important as the action and effects.
Did you know that the George Pal "War of the Worlds" was almost made into a TV series back in the 1970's?

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/wa...v%20series.htm
http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/model.html#blueprints
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #35
wulf111
Shuttle Pilot

When Worlds Collide was one of the first Sci-fi movies i saw also Journey to the Center of the Earth and At the Earths core are pretty good
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #36
morganzacd5p

Forbidden Planet was the only film to scair me as a kid... Just because they didn't show the monster, let you come up with it.
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #37
Warrior Woman
We are all Precious Gems

HAPPY

Ah, the memories!!! The Avengers was a great series with funky Sci-Fi elements in it. I really liked Mrs. Peel. (Diana Rigg)

Movies? "The Fantastic Voyage", with Raquel Welch. The special effects were good for the time, the story cheesy, but fun to watch.

Someone mentioned Anne Francis, I just love her. She did quite a few Twilight Zones (the original) and a short lived series called "Honey West" where she was a PI with a pet occelot.

Another TV cult classic that had Sci-Fi elements was "The Prisoner" with Patrick McGoowin (sp) who extended his role from "Secret Agent" to this series. For any cat fanciers out there he was also in the "Wonderful World of Disney" story "The Three Lives of Thomasina" another of my favorites but definately not Sci-Fi.

Hmmmm. Am I showing my age????

Peace
WW
Warrior Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #38
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

You're not necessarily showing your age. A lot of that stuff is out on DVD now.

I missed this thread before. I love the timeless classics, though I haven't seen as many as I should. Most of my favorites are already listed. Though I didn't see Dune or Highlander (sorry if they're there, I skimmed.) Those are a couple of great '80s sci-fi movies. You've gotta love movies like Dune that were all done with miniatures and mock-ups because CGI was a long way off.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:04 PM   #39
chimera46

I guess it shows my age to say that the first Sci-Fi movie I remember seeing as a kid was actually Space Balls. I can't help but feel it skewed the other real sci-fi I'd watch later. Still, from my point of view it's a classic, and it explains how that big statue got on the beach at the end of Planet of the Apes...
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM   #40
Fretslayer

I never really got into Spaceballs - I guess it's because IMO Mel Brooks was ripping off 'Hardware Wars' and I think he's too good to do something so cheap. Place both films side by side and it's pretty obvious what inspired him to make his movie.

Somebody made a comment regarding the writers in Hollywood not coming up with anything new...Well, the way I see it is that the Hollywood film industry is exactly like the Hollywood music industry. And having spent most of my life as a professional rock musician I can tell you this... Hollywood plays it safe - above and beyond all else, Hollywood (film, TV, and music) is about one thing and one thing only. Money making products. Nothing more, nothing less.
They (the entertainment buSINess) are too afraid to take a chance on something that might lose money and so they take the safe and easy path. They turn old 70s TV shows into current movies, they take movies that we saw only 10 to 15 years ago and do a remake, they take any movie that was successful on a financial level last year and crank out a lame sequel this year. It's all about money and as many of you know, art and creativity is about anything but money.

During the 80s the Hollywood music business signed any band from L.A who had a blonde lead singer. They took some bands that were really good and 'wussed' them out so they could sell more albums to a middle of the road consumer. The same evil (for lack of a better term) that befell the the music business in the last 20 years has also effected the film/TV industry. Safe = Paycheck.

There are people out there who are writing original and intersting works however they are seen as a 'risk' by a business that sees risk as a dirty word. The blame (IMO) lays not so much with the writers as it does with the people who run the studios and green light (or don't) the projects what we get to see.

If you're really looking for something cool or original then look for indy films and fan films. Are they all good? Nah, but what is? Like any other form of entertainment, we (the consumer) get exactly what we ask for...and we in the U.S know all too well that if you give a kid a steady diet of McSlop they'll never know what they're missing out on.

The other option you have is to do what I've been doing - learn some CG programs (odds are you already know a few if you're hanging around a site like this) and make your own fan-film. Upload that puppy to any website you can and see what happens.

Currently I have a few CG films in the pipeline.

1) The Legacy of Time - A scifi film set in the year 10,191 (my tip of a hat to Dune) where we are at war with something from another world. Sound familar? Well sure....but you'll never guess the ending and when it happens you'll be left going 'WTF?! I never saw THAT coming!'

2) Godzilla: The Lord of Terror - Not a funny or cute Gozilla 70's style film where Godzilla is a friend to small children, puppies, and the enviroment - but instead a return to the dark and scary nuclear hell beast that was Gojira. The story is very original and will (if I'm effective) scare the Hell out of people and make them fear nuclear war - as was the original intention of Gojira.

3) My Vampire Story (I don't have a final title for it other than the working title) - Set in the 1800s it's a vampire story seen from a perspective that has never been told before. I'd say more about it but I'm afraid to. LOL - When it's finished people will (I hope) really dig it. I've seen a lot (and I do mean a lot) of vampire films over the years of my life and I've not see ONE like the one I've written and am currently animating.

And a silly little "Star Trek meets Alien" thing I'm doing just for fun and because I like to make people laugh.

I guess the was a long way to a short point but if we as fans of scifi demand better and we support those of us who are trying to create something better then we all win.

I've read through this thread and I see mention of so many great films that it makes me smile like a kid on Christmas morning...or a serial killer covered in blood. They pretty much look the same. ;P

Have any of you seen an animated film titled 'Gandahar' (aka Lightyears)?
http://imdb.com/title/tt0095525/

If not then it's worth taking a look at - I remember seeing it way back in the day and being wow'd by it.

p.s.
Sorry for the long rant!
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #41
Giantsquid
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: "Middle aged" sci-fi movies

My favorite non-star wars movies from that time period were The Black Hole, mainly because I was intrigued with the idea of robots at the time ans Saturn 5... erm...because I was intrigued by the possibilities of Farah Faucett at the time... erm.. yeah that's the ticket. lol
Giantsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #42
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Hmmm... I never noticed this thread before (probably 'cause it got burried.)

Now, how can some of you you call movies like Alien and The Black Hole and especially newer stuff "middle-aged?" Alien and The Black Hole both came out the year I was born and I'm sure as hell not middle aged.
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #43
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
Hmmm... I never noticed this thread before (probably 'cause it got burried.)

Now, how can some of you you call movies like Alien and The Black Hole and especially newer stuff "middle-aged?" Alien and The Black Hole both came out the year I was born and I'm sure as hell not middle aged.
I saw both of those films in the theater and I'm not middle aged.
Both are awesome films though.
I love 'The Black Hole' because of the Max robot (somebody ought to make a mesh of that bad boy!) and the space scenes were a-ma-zing for the time.

Alien?

Oh man, who doesn't love a ghost story set in space?
Alien is (IMO) an all time horror/scifi classic in the tradition of the original 'Frankenstein' film.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #44
dprisciak

I think the movies before CGI had a more realisic look. Yes you could tell Logans Run was a model but when you had hundreds of extras in The Ten Commandments - it just seems more real.
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #45
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprisciak View Post
I think the movies before CGI had a more realisic look. Yes you could tell Logans Run was a model but when you had hundreds of extras in The Ten Commandments - it just seems more real.
I think that when CG is used correctly it can be quite awesome (Starship Troopers) but when it's sloppy it ruins the film (Van Helsing).

When I watch 'Logans Run' I think they did a good job for the time period it was shot during but it's very dated at this point. Can CG replace an epic physical set? I don't think so. The scenes in SW:ROTJ are interesting but when I watch 'Conan the Barbarian' I'm pulled from my happy little world into that one because the set design is so awesome.

CG effects, like any other effect (remember the men who did stop motion animation effects hated the latex physcal effects by masters like Rick Baker and Stan Winston) have their place are they're sort of like a spice rack in the kitchen.

Food with no spice = bland.
Food that is overspiced = muddled flavors and not at all good.

I love Rick Baker and Stan Winston style effects and I love CG effects.
When you see a film like Jurassic Park they nailed it with regards to good balance of each. For an effect (CG or otherwise) to be effective, you should not notice that it's an effect.

-steps off the soap box-
LOL!
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #46
gmd3d
Admin

I like the cheap and often ignored sci-fi
touches my fun sci-fi bones
Battle beyond the stars ..
Ice Pirate's

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #47
Fretslayer

Ice Pirates was great.

...SPACE HERPES?!

LOL
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #48
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Invasion of the Body Snatchers. (the '78 remake.) You can't help but love the ending. :evil:
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #49
smallworld

I just bought "The Forbin Project", "Dark Star" and journey to the far side of the sun. Going to put in overtime moulding the ass groove on my couch over the weekend
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #50
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Just remember, you've gotta get up and walk around in between movies to keep blood circulating in your butt and legs.

I got Alien Nation on DVD the other day. (the original movie, before the TV series) I know it's not exactly OLD old, but it is 20 years old. I never got into the series but I like that movie. Also in the 20-year-old category, I got Masters of the Universe on DVD recently.
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #51
mcmiller

How about anything that Ray Harryhausen was involved in making? Clash of the Titans, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts, etc. (Originals, not the forgettable recent TV remakes)