Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old April 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Has anybody else heard about this movie? I just did the other day. For a big prequel to a successful franchise, there's virtually no hype about it. I just watched the trailer and it looks schweet:

http://www.apeswillrise.com/

The company that did the CGI for Avatar is doing the effects for this movie. The apes are 100% CGI and they look freakin' real (and I rarely say that about CGI.) I can't wait to see this movie, it looks like it's going to be awesome.
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Default Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

I hope it's better than the last Apes remake.

As for the Apes, I do believe that is the company that did King Kong, so they SHOULD be able to get the look right
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

King Kong looked good. These apes look awesome.

Yeah, I hope it's a lot better than Tim Burton's Apes remake. I actually really like the Burton film until the big "WTF!" ending he gave it. But that's Burton for you, he's an odd duck (so is his wife.)

Even though it's called Rise of the Planet of the Apes, it looks like a new take on my favorite of the original 5 films, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. It looks like a new take on how the apes get more brains and take over. It looks good. Plus, it looks like James Franco is playing a mad scientist in it, he should be good in that role.

I'm just amazed that this movie will be out in just a few months and there's virtually no hype about it. I guess if it's not a superhero movie, nobody cares anymore.
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

Just read an article about this in USA today. So real paper ohhhhh. Really didn's say anything other than what was sad. James Franco. WETA is doing the CG apes. They look awesome.

I really hope it is a better film than the other one. Which sucked. Love the original series. Especailly the first movie.

I have high hopes for this one, but won't get them up to far cuz it is Tim Burton again.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The book is the best, IMO. I just got a copy from Barnes & Noble recently. After that, I like the original series of films except the 2nd one. It's the lousy one in the series, IMO. The Burton version is what Burton always does, not what anybody else is doing or would expect. I only really like 2 or 3 of his films.

I apparently forgot to post this here, but the latest trailer can be found here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/rise...ml?showVideo=1

It gives more info than the previous trailer.

And this new film has absolutely nothing to do with Tim Burton, BTW. After the backlash from the Burton Apes film, I think the last thing Fox wants to do is have him back for another one. The director looks like a newcomer, this is only his fourth film, so we'll see how he does.
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

Glad to hear Burton isn't helming Rise. The other thing I read said Burton was. Glad to hear he's not.

I too have liked other Burton films, but not Apes.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I like Batman, Batman Returns, (though, that's not as good as Batman) Sleepy Hollow and I do actually like Burton's Planet of the Apes until the end. Those are all of the Tim Burton films that I like. He and his fiancée (Henena Bonham Carter) and his best friend (Johnny Depp) do some weird movies together, IMO.

I too am glad this movie is not a Burton film. It's a remake of the classic film Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, but it looks like the apes get their smarts by being test subjects for a new Alzheimer's medication. That's an interesting sounding twist, IMO. It will be interesting to see if this one does well and, if it does, if they remake any of the other classic films.
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #8
Rbug
Shuttle Pilot

as evil states it is the prequil to the origonal movies there are more to come..... yay want to see where they go next with this one... and burtons planet movie was horrendess it was terrible... although he did do a lot of pre-production and a lot of heavy makeup, that paid off well.. it still was a lame movie.. i have seen rise and it is phenominal movie
Rbug is offline   Reply With Quote