Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Closed Thread

Old September 5th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #1
ktaylor

Default New Posting Requirements for Downloads

I think the new requirement that one must post five messages to the forum before they can upload or download is excessive. I can understand the desire to require visitors to participate more fully in everything that is offered by this site, but what if I really don't have anything useful to say. Won't I just become an annoyance as I try to get in my 5 obligatory posts?

What if I simply post variations of the same message five times? That's not particularly useful to anyone...

Old September 5th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #2
scaramanga
Flight Instructor

*looks at your post count*

I vote even higher ... :p
Old September 5th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga
*looks at your post count*

I vote even higher ... :p
I agree. Maybe I should change it to 25 QUALITY POSTS.

ktaylor, many folks put a lot of time and effort into creating these models.

To have folks like you just show up, download and NEVER be heard from says a lot.

Model makers like to see their work put into art. By requiring you to post before being able to download does a few things for us and the modelers-

For the modelers, it makes the chances of you posting some art with their models go up a bit.

For us as a website providing models, it makes it a bit easier for us to track who's here just for the models and don't really want to contribute anything, *and* it helps us in finding plagerists.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #4
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

jtaylor, if you wanted change, what you are doing is exactly the WRONG thing to do. 5 quality posts is not really that bad. There are several topics for discussion here. Surely you can find one that you have an opinion on and if not, create one.
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #5
PsyckoSama

Five

Old September 8th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #6
ktaylor

The point is, not all posts are good posts. Asking for five posts does not guarantee five meaningful contributions to the community. Why not just be content to use downloads as a way of getting people to the site and then be content that only those who have a genuine desire to comment do so rather than opening the discussion forum to disgruntled vistors who just want to post five and then get the file they've come for.

Many people (like myself) are simply not interested in taking part in forum discussion. I'm interested in creating images. The 5 post minimum may be causing many visitors who may have come back.

If you want feedback, it may be a better idea to require visitors to rate images instead of come up with posts. It would be less time consuming for those of us who don't really want to become part of the forum and would still encourage broader participation in the site.

Old September 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #7
ktaylor

The reason why I'm here is that I'm looking for a home for some character morphs I've created. The arrogant, bullying tone of the replies I've recieved here convinces me that this is absolutlely the wrong place to post. The "Don't like having 5 posts? Well, you're gonna hate having 25!" attitude is far from welcoming.

And to the person who chided me for "doing exactly the wrong thing," what is exactly the "right" way to protest a decison that I think is ill-advised? Shutting up and and smiling as I do as I'm told doesn't seem like a very effective way to draw attention to the problem.

Old September 9th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #8
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

ktaylor, I actually held your same opinion when we first redesigned the site and Darrell (Warrior) setup the 5-post rule. I assumed that it would lead to nothing but 5-post spamming threads from people who would then zip off to the download section and go nuts. That has happened several times, of course, but I have been pleasantly surprised by those who have become regular members. Because of this rule, we have gained a few very good artists, including K0stya, who is quickly becoming a personal favorite of mine. Had he not been required to at least register and introduce himself, he may never have become part of the group. It definitely benefits us to have an artist of his caliber posting regularly, and from his posts, I get the sense that he's enjoying our little community.

You say you like to create images? Feel free to post some of them for us to see - you may be surprised at how well we react to a simple introduction and sharing of work.
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #9
wallsjk

Hello all, I am more or less new to actively pursuing serious 3D modeling. I have dabbled with Poser (started w P2), Vistapro, etc. and am now currently using Poser 6, Terragen, and others, and doing composite/postwork using various paint programs. I will confess to being a "drive-by downloader". I have visited some sites looking for models - and left. Other sites, I have joined and become a regular visitor, admiring other artists' work, and rating and commenting upon ocassion. My personality is not so much that of a "talker" but I respect the desires of any site that I visit. 5 posts is not an outrageous number to request for the privilege of downloading that sites models, meshes, textures etc. The price is definitely less expensive that paying for the same materials at connercial sites. I pay at sites that require a "$" purcahse and I will post at sites simply requiring a little of my time and input. That's my perspective anyway. And I see many downloads here that are more than worth a few posts. So i will look to becoming a active member/poster here. Maybe not overly so, but at least to some degree. That's my perspective anyway.

Old September 11th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #10
biotech
Shuttle Pilot

Hi, I am new to this board but not new to 3D, some of you may recognise the name, for those of you that dont I'll be happy to answer questions.
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #11
biotech
Shuttle Pilot

Hmm got 5 posts and still cant download the poser figures, I wonder what I am doing wrong?
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #12
scaramanga
Flight Instructor

Maybe someone needs to check if they have quality in them
Old September 11th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #13
biotech
Shuttle Pilot

Damn if posts need quality I could be in trouble!
Old September 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #14
Breea

HAPPY

It's a good thing then that I'm just happy reading all of your posts...because when it comes to downloading,uploading or loading of anything..i'm totally...S*****...LOL So you all keep up the good work you're doing and I'll do what I do best..." READ "
breea

Old September 11th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #15
Santee

I need to get to 5 posts so I can put my Avatar back . . D'0h!
Santee

Old September 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #16
Elminster_ZK
Bad Email Address

Yes. It sucks. THis post is #3 for me. TWO MORE TO GO!!!
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #17
DarkPilgrim

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the 5 post requirment. Well, other than the fact that I am new to 3D modelling and I do not have very much to say on the matter. Not yet anyways.

Old September 14th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #18
clownsmighteatme

Well, at least it sparks folks into reading the different forums to see wheere they may be interested in posting. I don't think 5 is excessive at all. Sometimes you gotta work a little to get what you want instead of leeching.

Old September 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #19
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Bingo!
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #20
Stahlratte

Weeell, honestly I don´t like my arm twisted to post, but I can understand the reasoning.

I´ve given away some chararcter morphs on Posetteforever, and got up to 40 downloads on some and not a single "Thank You".

I now usually give away my stuff on Renderosity directly in the forum, so folks who want the download link actually have to PM me for it. This way I get nice replys, make contacts, and also can solve problems more easily.

Not everyone can create meshes , make morphs or a character, so there will be always those who just download , but at least everybody can say "Thank You" when he receives a gift.

stahlratte

Old September 16th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #21
clownsmighteatme

You're right, Stahlratte, not many people have the talent or knowledge to do these things. That's one reason why freebies are so popular. I tend to find myself collecting quite a few freebies myself (I suppose I'm a software pack-rat), but I usually thank folks for the work they did to make my life easier.

I'm dabbling a little into creating meshes and templates myself but the really high-end modeling software is priced out of reach. I'm making do by learning on Ray Dream Studio, Photoshop, Bryce and Poser. There aren't a lot of good tutorials so I have been reverse-engineering clothing to figure out how they make certain designs. I'm trying to learn, just looking for good resources.

Old September 16th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #22
biotech
Shuttle Pilot

I still cant download anything, are the downloads broken?

Are there any mods or admins out there?
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #23
clownsmighteatme

Did you do something to piss off someone?

Just kidding.

Old September 17th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #24
Santee

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotech
I still cant download anything, are the downloads broken?

Are there any mods or admins out there?
I just downloaed the Enterprise E . . seems to be working fine .. ...

Santee

Old September 20th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #25
ktaylor

I think you have to adopt a "pay it forward" attitude when providing freebies for other users. The freebie you contribute today repays people who helped you in the past as well as helping to make a stronger 3d art community for the future.

Yeah, I know that people don't say thank you. Out of the over 900 people who have downloaded my "Alterra Hair" and "Pullback Hair" from Renderosity in the past two weeks, only four have written -- and one of those was to get help in unpacking the zip file. However, that's fine by me. I don't think I would want to deal with over 900 people saying thank you. I get satisfaction out of knowing that 900 people liked my freebies well enough to download them. I look forward to seeing my hair in other peoples images. I hope it inspires people to do creative artwork and/or provide freebies of thier own some day.. Other than attracting traffic to your website, I think that's the most you can hope for from freebies.

And -- I feel compelled to add -- requireing 5 posts doesn't guarentee you'll get any more feedback than you're getting right now. The requirement may discourage many visitors from even browsing.

Old September 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #26
ktaylor

Thank you for inviting me to post images here -- That's friendly and inviting and not at all arrogant or bullying -- However, my hands are full right now. I'm in the midst of a massive project to provide illustrations for a long-running ST:TOS series called "The Valjiir Continuum." All my 3d illos are currently going there.

Although the lady who runs the site does not require feedback, she (and I) would be overjoyed to recieve some. Here is the address if you'd like to visit:

http://www.valjiir.us/
(Warning: Adult content. No one under age 18, please.)

Old September 26th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #27
andy

Yes I agree too

Old October 27th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #28
Markus_2000
Shuttle Pilot

Ive been coming to this site for almost 2 years.
I see both sides of the debate.
I guess you gotta do what you need to do.
I'll post when I have something to say (like now).
I don't see forcing people to post having a positive benefit.
Some people come here to see what's going on or what folks are working on and some people come here to get free downloads.
I'm sure that the hope when somebody posts "you can find it at http://www.3dgladiators.net" in another 3D forum that the person looking for the download will join and participate more in the discussions and such.
This place has the best collection of Star Trek related Poser stuff I've seen and that in and of itself is something to be proud of.
5 posts is still almost free.

(Only 2 more to go)
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:09 AM   #29
marcuseurelius

Default That expalins why I can't get a dload link

Well there you go, 5 posts before you can dload.
Can see both sides:
gives artitsts feedback
BUT
encourages posting for the sake of post count(s)
4 to go...

Old November 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #30
Breea

I may wind up with more then 25 posts but not sure how much of a quality post s it will be..since most everyone knows i'm total devout of any understanding of what happens here..LOL.or better yet of how to acomplish anything...

Breea

Closed Thread