Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old January 16th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default USS Endeavour

I don’t know how many people remember this thing, but I built this ship last year. It was my very first starship build since switching to Lightwave. The original idea came from an unused concept drawing by John Eaves for Enterprise. I had a rear three-quarters view, which gave me a basic look and layout for the ship, and I worked from that. Anyway, I finished the model and started on the textures when I lost my mojo and quit working on it. And it’s sat on my hard drive until the other day, when I was looking at things and loaded it into Lightwave. I decided then that I was going to finally texture it, but I didn’t start until yesterday.

When last we saw this ship, I’d started on the saucer section textures. I’d originally done that beige color that the NX-01 was covered in. However, I’m not overly fond of the beige and brown color scheme, (it reminds me too much of desert camouflage) so I decided to go a different route. I started off with a color that I mixed myself, but it was dreadful. So, I decided to get some colors online. Unfortunately, due to paint companies, especially automotive paint, there are different formulas for the same color, so that can be fun sometimes. I tried finding steel gray, but it was too hard to find something accurate on that, so I chose light steel blue. However, that made the hull too blue, so I went with metallic silver, which has just a bit of a blue tone to it. For accents, I chose light slate gray and quite a bit of chrome and copper. I figure the shiny materials will really help some of this stuff pop. Once I had the color scheme all worked out, things went a bit more quickly.

I got most of the ship textured today, with only a few parts left to do. Modeling wise, I still have a couple things to do. For one thing, there’s an interior to add, though that won’t take very long. (just basically textured boxes for depth) Also, I noticed that the front underside of the center thing, between the deflector and the saucer, needs some details. It’s pretty plain.

Aside from changing the color scheme, I also decided to rename the ship. Originally, I was calling it “Manticore,” but I decided to use the name “Endeavour” instead. Though, it is a Manticore-class ship. Here’s quick history that I came up with:

The Manticore-class was originally designed in the 2150s to be a possible successor to the NX-class. The Manticore-class boasted improved hull strength, better engine performance including a warp six engine, as well as a number of other improvements, including experimental deflector shields. However, once war broke out between Earth and the Romulan Star Empire, the need for warships rose quickly. So, the Manticore-class was pushed into production ahead of schedule. Due to its new role as a warship, many of the class’s science labs and other non-war facilities were converted into ammunition storage and extra crew quarters, which were necessary to house replacement crew members and ground troops, though those wound up not being necessary as the war was fought completely in space. The class ship, the Manticore, was completed in early 2158, with several other ships following quickly as the war was taking its toll on Earth and its allies.

During the war, the Manticore-class performed well and distinguished itself as one of Starfleet’s top ship classes, even though certain systems, such as the warp six engine, could not be realized due to the rushed production. However, the class was still faster and more maneuverable than the NX, and it had energy shields and more powerful weapons.

Since the Manticore-class performed so well during the war, the newly formed Federation Council decided to keep the class in service, though in its original role as a deep space explorer, along with newer ship classes, such as the Daedalus-class, after the war. The surviving Manticore-class ships were refitted. Among the systems upgraded during the refit were the warp engines, which were upgraded to the new warp six engine developed for the Daedalus-class. The extra ammunition and crew facilities were also converted back into science labs, as they had originally intended to be. With the refits in place, the Manticore-class enjoyed a long operational history as one of the Federation’s first deep space exploration vessels.
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: USS Endeavour

I remember it.. great to see it making a return

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Other people say they remember it too. Am I the only one who actually forgot about this ship?

I’ve pretty much got the hull materials done. I’ve been tweaking a few things, and I may continue to do so, but this is basically it. Interiors are next, followed by something for that bare spot on the front underside. I also have some work to do on the bussards, though I’ll probably do those last as I’m likely going to rig them for animation. (similar to what I did on my TOS Enterprise) Also, I decided the ship has more than enough blue glows, so I switched the impulse engines to a red-orange glow.

On a side note, I’d like to say that, for professional software, Lightwave has to have some of the worst UV mapping tools. If you’re using flat images with planar, cylindrical, etc. mapping, you’re fine. However, unwrapping in Lightwave leaves very much to be desired. The default tool for doing it flat out sucks. It generates way too many parts. I have a plugin that’s a little better, but it’s an older plugin and I get a lot of error messages. Plus, it doesn’t put parts on the sheet straight, it puts things on there at an angle, making it a pain to try and put paneling on things. And, last but not in any way least, there’s no way to export generated maps to images. There are a few third party plugins, but they won’t work with Lightwave 64-bit, so they’re useless to me.

I did manage to get the plugin that I have to work for the weirdly shaped part on the back underside, (the thing the warp pylons connect to) so I was able to add some paneling there. However, a lot of other places that have “paneling” only do because I manually selected faces and changed the materials on them to create a paneling look.
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #4
gmd3d
Admin

A lot of people complain about the UVMAPPING tool in Lightwave so your not alone
there.

You can use LIGHTWAVE 32bit for modelling, most people do I think.. I could be wrong due to the handy plugins you have access too. well I do .. If I rendered I would use the 64bit to make use of all the PC abilities..

People some time model in 32 but render in 64.. you should have access to both

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:09 AM   #5
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

If I need to UV map, I tend to export in OBJ format then use UV Mapping Pro, then re-import the object into modeler.

As for this ship, that looks real fine. Nice job on it!
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks a lot, guys.

@Ger: I never thought about using both 32-bit and 64-bit. I guess both can be used on the same PC, since 32-bit programs have a separate Program Files folder. (though, the menu entries would probably have to be manually altered, but that's not an issue) I'll look into it. And, yes, I have the 32-bit version because that's on my laptop. Not that I couldn't download it from NewTek, but that's beside the point. Thanks a lot, I never thought of doing that.

@Darrell: Is this the program to which you're referring? UVMapper I don't think I can afford the latest version, but it's nice to see that they have an older version available in their downloads section. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks a lot for the advice.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #7
gmd3d
Admin

[QUOTE=evil_genius_180;269237]Thanks a lot, guys.

@Ger: I never thought about using both 32-bit and 64-bit. I guess both can be used on the same PC, since 32-bit programs have a separate Program Files folder. (though, the menu entries would probably have to be manually altered, but that's not an issue) I'll look into it. And, yes, I have the 32-bit version because that's on my laptop. Not that I couldn't download it from NewTek, but that's beside the point. Thanks a lot, I never thought of doing that.

I cannot remember you exact Lightwave version..

but in 9.6 you can easily set up the folder for both versions.. they use the same folder which I have on my D drive where I have tons of space

1. create the folder called "Content" or whatever suits.

2. Open Lightwave Layout press d on your keyboard you can check out Preferences

3. press tab called Paths where you will see the options.

Both my 32 and 64bit are set this way.. hope this helps

Oh I think once you have this done as you want. you close LW so the configs are saved..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paths.jpg (63.7 KB, 0 views)

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 17th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I already have my content directory set up on my D: drive. I've had Windows go FUBAR too many times in the past, it did so a little over a month ago. So, when I reinstall, I don't have to worry about wiping out my LW content folder. I was thinking more of the actual programs, which will have to be separated. But, that's not hard to do and Windows will automatically do it for 32-bit programs.

You know what's stupid? The manual doesn't even tell you what to do with the content. As you guys know, you get two discs, one with the program and one with the content. It doesn't tell you what to do with the second disc. I had to figure it out on my own.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #9
gmd3d
Admin

I learned it from a video guide I got with a disc set..

I will see if I can locate it online for you..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #10
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Well, I know what to do with it now, so I don't need instructions. Late 2012 would have been the time to have instructions.

I remember when I first got TrueSpace, it came with at least one textbook sized manual, possibly two. They told you what to do with all of the floppies it came on, including the one with the "extra" (not necessary to run the program) stuff. Lightwave came with three manuals, all in .pdf format and I also bought a book called "Inside Lightwave 3D v10." None of that told me what to do with the Content disc. I Googled it and found no definitive answers, but I was able to find what I was looking for by looking around in the program after I found answers to other questions relating to the content directory on forums. That shouldn't be necessary, because they should tell you what to do with that stuff in the installation instructions.

Last edited by evil_genius_180; January 17th, 2014 at 08:43 PM..
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

Having used LW forever that is one big gripe for me. The manual used to be great. But as u upgrade and get new versions with the new full manual it glosses over or skips old info . New users r lost. Its even harder for new users now.
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #12
gmd3d
Admin

I only recently started using LW again after a long break... but I been using lw9 for years now.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #13
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

My biggest gripe with Lightwave right now is that it only runs on Windows or Mac OS. I booted up my PC a while ago and Windows is giving me some stupid junk about not being genuine (which it is) and it's claiming it can't find my product key, nor will it allow me to enter it again. So, I'm running a scan disk on my desktop right now and typing this on my tablet. I can't afford Apple's overpriced computers and I don't want one anyway, so I'm stuck with the dumbest OS family on the planet. (sorry, rant over )

Anywho, yeah, the manual sucks. It doesn't even cover topics like sub-patching, which I find to be an invaluable tool. The other book I have isn't much better, because it explains everything to you VIA a series of tutorials, as opposed to giving you the info in a way that you can easily reference. I'm just glad I paid ebook price for it, as opposed to hard copy price, which is a lot higher. So, I've had to figure out a lot of things myself and using stuff I learned doing a little of Ger's Enterprise tutorial. And, of course, using Google.
Old January 19th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #14
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Yes, that UV Mapper is the one I was talking about. Older version works just fine.
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #15
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
Yes, that UV Mapper is the one I was talking about. Older version works just fine.
Cool, thanks. Trust me, I have no issues with using older versions of software. Prior to finally getting Lightwave in 2012, I was using a version of TrueSpace from 1998 to model. (whatever works, right? )
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #16
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Someone over at Scifi-Meshes asked for a comparison shot with the NX-01. So, here are a few. Unfortunately, NX-01 meshes aren’t so easy to come by. There are a couple available for free in Lightwave format. One was at Foundation 3D and it was modeled in Lightwave 9. Unfortunately, it’s inaccurate. The author even admits that it is. So, I went with an older but more accurate mesh by Kenny_Z, converted to Lightwave by Darrell and available here. The only thing I couldn’t get were all of the textures, because Darrell didn’t include them all in the .zip file. I could have gotten them from trekmeshes.ch, but the download link is broken. However, as this is a size comparison, textures aren’t a necessity.

As you can see, the Endeavour is slightly longer and, due to its “wingspan,” slightly wider. The saucer isn’t as bulky, but the nacelles are more bulky. Here are the numbers on both ships:

NX-01:

Length: 225 meters
Width: 135.8 meters
Height: 33.3 meters
(Note: these are the official numbers on the NX, and may not be accurate to Kenny’s mesh, because I scaled it down using the length with the other values locked, to preserve the proportions)

NCC-35:

Length: 240 meters
Width: 154.5 meters
Height: 38.7 meters

Those figures are rounded to the nearest tenth of a meter.
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #17
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I got all of the textures done, added a few bits and rigged the lights. I’m rendering an animation, but here are some beauty shots.

Old January 21st, 2014, 07:36 AM   #18
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I had to abort the animation I was rendering because it was taking too frakking long. However, I took a look at what had been rendered so far and made some changes to the ship. One thing that was changed that can’t be seen in still images is the blink pattern on the lights. They were too fast before. Also, I wasn’t as fond of the bussard collectors as I should have been. I decided the “light spots” on the dome were too bright and too well defined, so I redid the animation on those. I softened the effect a lot and I’m a lot more happy with it. Also, I had two “light spots” animations, one for the outer dome and one for the inner dome. That was redundant, so I removed the outer one and tweaked the dome materials to create almost the same effect as the two animations together, but with only one animation on the inner dome and a standard “glass” material on the outer dome. (unintentional bonus: you can see the “blades” better now )

Anywho, after I tweak the animation I was rendering and change some rendering settings to make it go faster, I’m going to start over on rendering that. Meanwhile, here’s the current state of the model:

Only one image today, because these 1920X1080 images take over ten minutes to render and I want to get on to the animation.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:46 AM   #19
Starship
Starships are my hobby!

Looks wonderfull !
Just a note: at the backside of the ship, in the end of the "secondary hull" we can see a flat half circle, and appear it don´t have any textures. Looking teh details and textures all around, looks like that small part is in unfinished state.

Personal Site - http://starships.host.sk

My Blog - http://brstarship.wordpress.com
3DS Max user

Last edited by Starship; January 22nd, 2014 at 02:52 AM..
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:00 AM   #20
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks bro. Everything has textures. (except the parts that intentionally don't, but they have appropriate materials)
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:55 AM   #21
gmd3d
Admin

Nice work.. I like the Bussard effect..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:32 AM   #22
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks bro.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:15 PM   #23
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

At long last, the animation sequence is ready. As I’m sure y’all know, I’m not really an animator, but I did a few simple flybys to showcase the model, especially the flashy and spinny bits.

http://vimeo.com/84836426

I found out Vimeo and my tablet don’t get along well. I tried twice to upload the damn video and both times it stalled at “finishing upload” and wouldn’t finish. So, I uploaded it from my PC.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:42 PM   #24
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Interesting affect on the bussards. Looks like it spins one direction, then the other direction. Was that "look" the intent?
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:06 AM   #25
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks. That's actually more of a "happy accident." I think it's caused by the light pattern combined with the spinning blades.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 02:36 AM   #26
gmd3d
Admin

I like the alternative spinning effect..bravo on the animation..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:41 AM   #27
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks Ger.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:49 AM   #28
gmd3d
Admin

I was just listening to some of the TOS soundtrack as the ship approached the camera .. worked very well

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old February 1st, 2014, 03:54 PM   #29
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Looks beautiful in motion! Vimeo wouldn't load at all the first time I tried the link, then only partially the next two times, but it was worth it.

I really like the bussard effect, and the blink of the lights seem to be perfect to me.
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:37 PM   #30
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks. Some people think it's too fast.