Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old November 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM   #1
jlf1961

Default Star Ship troopers and not the <insert colorful term here> movie

Since I began messing around with 3d stuff a few years ago, I have been trying to come up with a way to actually model the CAP armor from the book.

I have seen many attempts, but they somehow fall short.

So, I felt that the idea for the armor, dropships and retrieval ships would be a nice change of pace from the star wars, star trek etc conversations.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Star Ship troopers and not the <insert colorful term here> movie

It's been almost 7 years since I read that book and I'm trying to picture the armor from the cover in my head. (I remember it was cool) Do you happen to have a picture of it handy? If not, I can use Google to dredge one up.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM   #3
jlf1961

I dont have a scan of the picture on the old cover, and the newest printing has the movie stuff on it....

Heinlein is spinning in his grave
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:25 PM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I like the first movie but you've really got to view it as a completely separate entity from the book. (which I like better) The book is so much more gritty and realistic, especially when Rico goes to OCS to become an officer instead of them just promoting him from corporal to lieutenant, like they did in the movie (like that ever happens.)

I managed to find images. Wikipedia had the original book cover (first image) but a later cover had a great image of the armor on it. (second image) I know that's from the book 'cause I remember that image from the cover of the book that I read.

Unfortunately, 99% of the Google image results are from the movies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St59.jpg (32.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg starship.troopers.jpg (185.7 KB, 8 views)
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:51 PM   #5
jlf1961

The movie actually made the MI out to be more like a band of mercenaries than any true military organization.

Promotion was due to a death above you in rank, which is not going to happen.

Besides, when you consider, as you said, the boot training, OCS, and also the reunion between Rico and his father, completely forgotten in the movie, the book gives you reason to actually want to see what happens.

I actually enjoyed the final pages of the book, where Rico's dad is his top kick, and Rico is the CO. Granted in our army it wont happen, but when you consider that in the book, the Federation, for most of the book was on the ropes.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:21 AM   #6
gmd3d
Admin

I recently read the book again ... I like the film and the animated show from the 1990s I think ..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Given the forum this is posted in, where's the finished ART WORK?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:21 AM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I didn't even notice that. (bad me) But I moved the thread to "General Discussions."
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM   #9
johnart

I didn't know there was a book for Starship Troopers... all along I thought they got it from starcraft! Lol!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM   #10
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, there's been a book since the '60s. So, it definitely predates Starcraft by a few decades. The movie (which was way different from the book) may have seen like Starcraft but the book definitely doesn't.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM   #11
gmd3d
Admin

Its a good read too

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #12
psycoderek

I just finished running a program at my school to encourage year 4 and 5 boys to read instead of playing games. It is hoped that they may do beter at school that way. May be I should direct them here so that they can read this discussion about reading and how books are better then movies or television. I was saying that all along and here's the proof.
How cool is that.
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #13
Fretslayer

What I love about a good book is that my imagination is free to build the world and it's characters as I see fit.

Reading is for your imagination what the weight room is for your physical muscles.

Don't get me wrong - I have a vast collection of films - but films are for a lazy mind - that's why they're 2 hours or less.

I get a lot of entertainment from watching a film...
...however I am far more entertainted when I read a good book.

Just my 2 cents.
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #14
jlf1961

Yeah, it is a great read, even though Heinlein takes a few detours into political theory....
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #15
psycoderek

Frets, you is da man. Those are the exact sentiments i echoed during the course. Your analogy was the foundation for my first discussion with the boys over books versus film. We are of one mind, That's musicians for you, the backbone of inteligencia.
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #16
Fretslayer

Wow - thanks.

I am one of those people who while growing up had countless teachers say '...if only you could get your imagination to work with you and not against you.' I'd like to see some of those people today and sock 'em right in the pie hole. LOL!

Imagination is reality.
It's all perception.

For as long as I can remember being alive I imagined this, that or the other thing.
When I was a little kid my favorite toy in the world was some modeling clay, thread and a few sticks - with those three things I could make any toy my heart desired...I just had to imagine it and it would manifest through my hands via the clay.

The reason I consider myself more of an animator than a modeler is that my models are 'so so' at best - but I can at any given time sit down and write and entire story around a concept or an object.

At the moment I have an animated project going on with Taranis and EG's Reimagined Connie. It started out as just an animated scene and has grown into a 10 minute story that's pretty cool. Taranis has crafted an awesome BOP bridge and so I've written a bunch of scenes that take place on it because I want to 'play' with the toy he made. LOL!

I also have an animation being made for BattlestarFanFilms.com that is a series of 5 shorts that are 5 minutes each and tell a cool BSG/Trek cross over story.

Those are in addition to the 'main' story I'm animating for myself.

Imagination is everything.

:laugh:
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #17
psycoderek

Exactly my thoughts. I used Meccano the same way and would spend hours just building what was in my head. I put it down to reading and the power of the printed word. I still play with meccano but on my computer and in Blender. It is a great meccano set and limitless. I may not produce recreations of existing models or life but I still use my imagination when creating models. Where you use animation to allow you creative flow and apply your joy in imagination to create works of art and sound I use mine for models and teaching. I believe that all musicians posses this power which allows them to create wonderful music and art.
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #18
Fretslayer

Studies have been done (I should look for some to back up what I'm about to say) and they've found that the brain of a musician operates differently than that of non-musicians.
Is that because of being a musician or why one becomes a musician?
No telling.

I was an artist before musician and when I was in my late teens I found that I had something to say but nobody was listening. So I picked up a guitar and put down the paintbrush and I spent 20 years with people paying to hear what I had to say.

If you're using imagination as a teaching tool then I'd wager you are a really good teacher. The best teachers I had while growing up were all teachers who blew on the coals of imagination and turned it into a roaring fire that fed on knowledge.

At this point in my life I've put the guitar down and picked up CG tools - I guess it's 'Me V.3' - LOL!

I still play guitar with my bandmates and all of that, but now I do it just for fun. My days of being on the road are done and I'm good with that - it's a dangerous lifestyle and one that kills most people.

What instrument do you play and do you recognize the song I have tabbed?
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #19
vasya1

cool