Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > MOONBASE ALPHA COMMLOCK > Translator Microbes
Notices
Translator Microbes News that is injected into you and colonise at the base of your brain.

Old April 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Default Art Theft

Anyone had dealings with "red_sox_14" at ebay?

The jackass is trying to sell/aution t-shirts with MY ART!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCI-FI-BATTLESTA...QQcmdZViewItem

The thread with the original art-

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ead.php?t=9764

(I also posted the chart over at LWG)

http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22357

I e-mailed him through ebay asking who said he could use my art.

I also e-mailed ebay themselves reporting this theft.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

There's a lot of that going around right now. I was visiting a forum on scifi-meshes earlier that was talking about somebody trying to sell the Star Trek models of a bunch of well-known artists as their own. I hope that guy trying to sell shirts with your art gets banned from E-Bay. Hell, he should be banned from the internet in my book.

It's people like doing crap like that that really gets me mad. 'Cause then the rest of us that want to just download the files/pics whatever have to suffer because the artist might not want to keep sharing their work. I know I wouldn't. Fortunately, my stuff isn't good enough for someone to rip off

The ironic thing is that I just registered over at Colonial Fleets and I was looking at that same artwork this @#$!!! is trying to sell.
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #3
gmd3d
Admin

Bastards ... I saw that thread at Sci-fi also ..

Go and get him .... I remember the picture from CF

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #4
marxart2003
Shuttle Pilot

Default Art Thieves

It is actions like this jerk on ebay that make all artists reluctant to post any work online. Had a similar thing happen to me several months ago and it was a friend that did it.
marxart2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Kai
Victorian Engineer

from reading the experiences of others that have had this happen to them, (check out renderosity's copyright forum for details for example), I'm afraid your SOL dealing with EBay over this.
anyway.. good luck...
The shakes become a warning
It is by Caffiene alone I set my mind in Motion
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

They don't act right away, then they'll also hear from Universal *and* possibly Lucas Arts (he's got other stolen stuff up too).
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

That's it, bring everybody down on those f*rs. (I had a bad experience with E-Bay a while back and can't stand them.)
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #8
mikala
Master Pilot

Real sorry to hear you are having troubles with the "scum" that are not able to do their own work.
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #9
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

You had any word back from ebay, Warrior?
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Yeah, I have. Heard from them on Friday in fact. Had to fax them a form/statement. No doubt they don't work weekends, so it won't be til tomorrow at the earlierst I hear back.

More than likely Tuesday if they take Monday off as a holiday.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 01:18 PM   #11
mikala
Master Pilot

Curious as to any responses?
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:29 PM   #12
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, what did those jokers have to say about your work being illegally sold?
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Moonglow
Shuttle Pilot

I see the shirts are still for sale on e-bay as of today. What gives?
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM   #14
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

E-bay is run by a bunch of assholes, that's what the deal is. They don't care. Sorry, Warrior, but it's true. They're not likely to do squat about it.
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #15
chrisis1033

They only care when the big corporate boys come knocking....

The rest of us can complain all we want... last time it took eBay 3 weeks to act on a concern I had... that was two weeks longer than the listing.....
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:08 PM   #16
Northwatch
Shuttle Pilot

They are a big organization with a million items to police. There is not way for them to cover it all. The only way they know something is wrong is when people tell them. How else do body parts and wifes selling their husbands get on there. Not that I'm standing up for them, it just takes time for them to check things out and as stated before, major companies with complants get more of a response than a jerk selling a t-shirt with your work on it. You could try sueing in small claims court if you want but that will not go far and they know it. It's as much a part of life as that jerk that races his car up the merge lane just so he can cut infront of three people.

Sorry to be so negative but I was cut off twice today and if I had a gun.....no, I mean a LARGE AIR HORN.....
Northwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #17
Northwatch
Shuttle Pilot

Looking back at that item's history, he has had it up for sale 6 other times and no ones bought it yet.

It's a neat picture, but I'm not sure it makes a good t-shirt.
Northwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #18
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwatch
They are a big organization with a million items to police. There is not way for them to cover it all. The only way they know something is wrong is when people tell them. How else do body parts and wifes selling their husbands get on there. Not that I'm standing up for them, it just takes time for them to check things out and as stated before, major companies with complants get more of a response than a jerk selling a t-shirt with your work on it. You could try sueing in small claims court if you want but that will not go far and they know it. It's as much a part of life as that jerk that races his car up the merge lane just so he can cut infront of three people.

Sorry to be so negative but I was cut off twice today and if I had a gun.....no, I mean a LARGE AIR HORN.....
I get what you're saying about E-bay and them being huge and not being able to police everything on their site. That's not the point some of us were making. The point some of us were making is that, even when stuff is brought to their attention by someone like Warrior (not a huge corporation whose ass they want to kiss) they ignore it.

He told them about this a couple months ago and, as far as I know, they've done nothing about it.

As for the car thing, there's nothing wrong with venting every once in a while. Where do you live that traffic is that horrible? Or was this just an abnormal thing?
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #19
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

Bloody hell Warrior, I am sorry. Damn eBay, you can anything nowadays but usually at the cost of the original artist
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:16 AM   #20
F1Racer

Unbeleivable ! How people can blatantly steal like this is nauseating. I hope Ebay sort things out for you very quickly.
Dunno what gave him the balls to try that and even think he would get away with it. Good thing you spotted it.
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #21
the3dgm

ANGRY

This has been an on going problem for a long, long time! Years ago, when the web was very young, I went by a different name and used to put my 'A' work on the web. There was this guy who was always writing me and asking me to let him use my renders, I had no interest and told the man no.

Some time after that I was talking to a person I knew and noticed they were wearing one of my pictures. Yep the 't-shirt' no talents were at it back then also.

Long story short, lawyer ('stolen copyright'), judge ('if you didn't want it taken, you should not have put it on the internet').

The times have changed, the laws have changed, the web has changed, thieves are still thieves and the web has more outlets for them!!!

I never put my 'A' work on the web anymore, and always the lowest quality I can get by with.

As for the person who took Warrior's work. . .just shoot the s.o.b.!!!

Just my two cents!
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #22
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, the law sucks. So, Warrior, any word? Did they tell you the same crap?

Basically, I'm such a crappy artist that I'm not sure what I would be more; pissed off or really friggin' proud if someone stole my artwork or meshes. I mean, it is sort of a compliment that your shazbot's good enough that others want to take credit for it, even if it is wrong. I haven't run across this problem yet.

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #23
Acadia

Lots of this kind of stuff going around unfortunately.

The internet has opened the door to a whole new world to some people and has made so many things, including stealing, much easier, and seemingly "legal" in some people's minds. Many figure that they pay for internet service and whatever they come across during their online time is there for the taking and that the internet world is their oyster so to speak.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #24
Sealtm2

Ebay has become scam central. I used to be a seller on ebay mostly rare coins along with a few other gentlemen. I and a few of my friends dealing in coins have had our auctions copied and used a few times by scum suckers like the one who has stolen your art. This type of thing has become common place on Ebay and Ebay is very slow to do anything about such volations or will not do anything at all. Between the conterfit items and the constant email and phishing scams that place has gone to the dogs. All Ebay cares about is collecting their fees. I wish you the best of luck getting any response from Ebay.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #25
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yes, Ebay seems to be the con artists' paradise, doesn't it? Dirty bastards.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #26
Acadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtm2
Ebay has become scam central. I used to be a seller on ebay mostly rare coins along with a few other gentlemen. I and a few of my friends dealing in coins have had our auctions copied and used a few times by scum suckers like the one who has stolen your art. This type of thing has become common place on Ebay and Ebay is very slow to do anything about such volations or will not do anything at all. Between the conterfit items and the constant email and phishing scams that place has gone to the dogs. All Ebay cares about is collecting their fees. I wish you the best of luck getting any response from Ebay.
I've tried searching for stuff on eBay and have never had any success, so I've never bought anything from there.

However, even if I could manage to find something I wanted to buy, I'd rather go to a store and pay retail price and take it home the same day and have some kind of recourse if the item is defective or broken. Besides, I'm not really gung ho about handing over my money to a stranger and taking them on faith that they will send me the item I have paid for.

I've seen too many documentaries about scams, and many of them involve telphones or online.

eBay is still very successful, but it's also a medium that is easy to get involved with and either scam or get scammed. Call me untrusting, but ...
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #27
the3dgm

SAD

Part of the problem with places like e-bay, is that some companies don't or wont do anything.

Case in point: About 4 or 5 years ago, I bid on a render package that was on e-bay, the picture showed the box, unopened, and was being sold by a vendor with a very high satisfaction rating! I did not win, but was contacted by the vendor and told he was a business and had a few more of the programs and would sell it to me for my high bid, I'm stupid, I bought it and received a boot legged copy of every bit of software a now defunct company sold. I reported it to the company, three times, and never got a response, a few days later I had an e-mail from someone who wanted to sell me one of Adobe's programs, I contacted Adobe and their response was; 'if you don't have a name and an address what do you want us to do!'

Well, I've never got asked to buy pirated software again, and I make sure of what I'm getting now and I check out companies and don't buy from e-bay.

What can ya do?
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #28
Sealtm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia
I've tried searching for stuff on eBay and have never had any success, so I've never bought anything from there.

However, even if I could manage to find something I wanted to buy, I'd rather go to a store and pay retail price and take it home the same day and have some kind of recourse if the item is defective or broken. Besides, I'm not really gung ho about handing over my money to a stranger and taking them on faith that they will send me the item I have paid for.

I've seen too many documentaries about scams, and many of them involve telphones or online.

eBay is still very successful, but it's also a medium that is easy to get involved with and either scam or get scammed. Call me untrusting, but ...

Many times you are better off going to a store to purchase what you want. Not only because you can return or exchange the item if you don't like it or something goes wrong with it or the purchase but in many ways you can get it for less. Sometimes I am amazed at what people will pay for something by bidding for it on ebay PLUS the shipping when they could have found the same item in a department store for far less. I think people get caught up in the excitment of bidding that they don't think until it over. I bet there is much buyer remorse via ebay.

It used to be you found a trusted seller and did business with them. There was a group of us that bought and sold coins on ebay and we knew the good guys from the crooks. Some of the good guys are there but now have become very picky on who they let bid on their auctions. The rest, like me have just walked away from ebay as have many of the old time sellers who have gotten fed up with ebays tricks and lack of policing their site. Today you have to be so careful on ebay becuase they have let so many counterfit products and ghost sellers, who put up fake auctions then take your money an disappear only to return under another ID, that it has pretty much destoryed what ebay once was.

But I must tell you I do a lot of on line shopping becuase the nearest mall to me is at least 4 hours way in all directions. I live in a very small town and in the next town over there is a very small Sears outlet store, a walmart and one car/truck/snowplow/snow moblie/boat dealership and a Shaw's. SO alot of items people use around here are ordered on line or through catalog at sears. If I drive about two hours east I'll hit the only home depot in the area. Yes we do have electricity, phone, running water and inside heads (toilets) AND we just got cable! I choose to move to the boonies the to escape my former profession, crowds, noise, crime...basically hunmanity :cylon:
Not only that my wife is from this area and wanted to move back home after living in the rat race. Uh...sorry I got off topic. Just be careful when shopping ebay.
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #29
Acadia

Thanks

I have no intention of buying anything via eBay. I too prefer to go and pay for something and take it with me once I've handed over my money. Sometimes I go to flea markets and pick up some nice used things, but again, I can inspect the item and see the actual condition of it before buying it and take it home with me.

I do shop online quite a bit too. Mainly because I haven't been well and it's hard for me to get out to the stores, plus it's convenient to have it delivered to my door. However, usually I buy from places I know such as Canadian Tire, Staples, Office Depot, Amazon, The Shopping Channel. A few times I've bought things that needed to be sent by snail mail, from other sites, but I find that most of the time the "stores" are in the USA and sometimes the item is subject to border fees/duty, brokerage, taxes etc before it arrives at my door, and then there is the currency exchange rate on top of all of that.

I'm a nurse and a few years ago I ordered a cardiac stethescope. A really good quality one. I paid for it by Visa and after 8 weeks I still hadn't received it so I contacted the company. They said they shipped it by UPS. I waited some more and 4 weeks later I still didn't have the item (12 weeks total), so I called again. They said that they hadn't received it back and was going to check into it for me. They found that it was hung up at the US/Canadian border.

A few days later UPS shows up at my door asking me to pay them $175.00. I told them that I had already paid for the item with my Visa and it was just to be delivered. I was told that the $175.00 was UPS's fee for processing the border papers at customs, plus taxes.

The stethescope was something like $250.00 or $275.00 plus exchange rate at that time of 1.67%. Now UPS wanted to add $175.00 to that?!!! I refused shippment and called the company and told them what happened. They agreed that I should send it back and they gave me a full credit on my credit card. They said that they wouldn't be using UPS anymore after that.

I ended up buying the stethescope here for about the same price as the US base price plus exchange.

So I know what you mean about things can get expensive if you use eBay, and I'm sure many eBay sellers use UPS and UPS rips off Canadians with that stupid border processing fee based on dollar value of the item being shipped.
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #30
Sealtm2

I used to hate to send things to Canada. It was always so expensive and then all the paperwork to get it across the border only for it to get hung up in customs in Canada. I always marked things I sent as "gifts" so the folks I was sending it wouldn't get taxed. IT just takes so long to get from the U.S. to Cananda. I sent a friend of mine in Quebec a camera, mind you I live just about on the Canadian border and Quebec is about 3 hours from me, anyway it took 5 months before she got the camera Je ne comprends pas! I told her, "Je devrais être venu lÃ*" (I should have come there) and gave it to you..LOL!