Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Closed Thread

Old October 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #1
TheBigRPGamer

3 D CGI New Game Idea in the works...

Hello all. I have been watching this forum for quite sometime, and I have to say you all are very tallented. I have been working with 3D since 2000, and some of you have come a long way in a REALLY short time. Very impressive.

Anyhow, I and a friend are working on a game idea. I am the lead programmer and 3D artist. My friend is the designer and tester of this. He will also be the one to market this game.

Why I am here is because I was wondering if any of you had any good ideas for an interface for the game. The game idea is as follows...

Your one out of 12 races. You can be any of the 12 avatars ( races ) and you can freeform to anywhere in our universe. The idea is to buy, sell, trade wether you are in a ship or on a planet that you can either own or rent out land too. The game idea has VERY LITTLE limitations.

Ok, so I need two interfaces.. one for the Avatar ( when you walk around with your character [ Race ] ) and one for when you are on the bridge with your crew. Eventually I will build the rest of the interfaces once I get a good basic one down. We want the interface to be somewhat holographic with rotating objects. Eye candy so to speak. We are not worried about programming this, we just want someone's idea or opinions.

If you want to make a quick picture or sketch, it would much apriciated.

Anyhow, I just thought I would throw it out there. See your thoughts.

Thank You
W E

Old October 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #2
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: New Game Idea in the works...

Well, for the Avatar interface, I would suggest a slightly less-cluttered version of the World of Warcraft interface. I'm not much of an RPGer, but when my old roommates finally convinced me to try WOW, I found that interface pretty easy to use.

I may come up with a suggestion for the Bridge interface later...
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
TheBigRPGamer

Interesting idea... I never thought to look at WOW. I will have to consider that. Thank you. Also. I am working on another game idea as well. It's one that I have been designing since 1994. It's a STRATEGY game I originally named Land Rush, but someone has already taken the name. So I have named it Open Land. you can check out my site from time to time.

http://openland.freehostia.com

I just started on the webpage. So there is nothing there yet. However, I am making this game Open Source. Which means anyone who wants to volunteer their time for the Open Land Project is more then welcome. I am the programmer, I just need some folks who love to make 3D models in 3ds format as well as DirectX ( .X ) format.

I also need some who can do textures. That is the major issue there. I need textures badly. Ones I can reuse if needed in other projects.

All persons who help with the project will of course get credit in the game.

I hope this gives some incentive..

Winword Ex

Old October 10th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #4
gmd3d
Admin

it would be interesting to see some designs and other details ..
this would help members also.

but in my mind the vessels would be something like Amtrak Wars by Patrick Tully ??

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #5
TheBigRPGamer

3 D CGI Re: New Game Idea in the works...

Amtrak Wars.. Never saw it.. ( yes I have literally been under a rock.. lol ) I will have to check it out.

Ok I also can see I am going to have to get a scanner again. :P

Now as far as the game idea goes for Open Land, it is a " What If " scenerio of what would happen if your country ( say for example the USA ) had lost thier government. And you as a home owner had to survive. Now the environment is all in 3D which means you can walk around and do whatever you wanted. But the goal of the game is to survive until a government is re-established. Now I have not decided yet to make this Multiplayer, but might be good to.

In this game, you put your real life experience and knowledge to use. If you know chemistry you can use it here. If you want to make a car that runs on water, you can do that here. But you have to know how to do it. hehe.

Now I have been working on this idea for over a decade. So I have plenty of material to put into the game to make it run smoothly. but the actual game itself is what i'm just NOW putting together.

I need the following to get started :
a game interface ( which I will have to design since I know what all is in the game )

4 Houses
Vegetation ( such as trees / grass / rock )
TEXTURES TEXTURES TEXTURES ( hahaha )

An example of what i'm making here is this :
Sim City Societies - I love the 3D aspect of this with being able to look at any building from any angle. This is the type of interface I will have for the game.
Civ Rome - The Detail of this game is good.
Age of Empires 3 - Awesome idea. Love the way you can upgrade buildings from utilizing resources, and peons ( people ).
Railroad Tycoon 3 - The whole idea of this game is to have resources to make cities. Great concept.
A-Train - This is the game that started me thinking. It was an old DOS game that later someone redid it and named it C.E.O. But C.E.O. failed do to the company going under. Both games had a GREAT start though.

and of course my original game idea came from a BBS Door game named :
Time Of Chaos ( TOC ) - This game is post nuclear war stuff. The idea of getting credits to make forts to see if the other players can hack your fort appealed to me.

Bottom line, my game idea is not to copy the ones above, my idea stemmed from them. I hope this helps clear it up some..

Winword Ex

Last edited by TheBigRPGamer; October 10th, 2008 at 09:07 AM..

Old October 13th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #6
UrbanArmitage

Your project sounds very interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Good luck!

UA

Old October 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #7
TheBigRPGamer

ATTENTION Re: New Game Idea in the works...

Thank you. Unfortunately, this game is becoming more real then first thought. As of a few days ago, the USA ( notice on CNN ) has been cutting costs by cutting off certain things. Looks like the US is about to colaps as a lot of people predicted.

So as of now, this project is being closed. Sorry. But I wont have internet in a day or so now. Loss of jobs has forced my family to shut stuff down.

I do not know how to close this thread, so if the moderator can shut it down for me, I would appriciate it. Thank you.

Win Ex

Old October 13th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #8
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about the financial troubles, man.

I'll go ahead and close the thread, but if you get a chance to stop by again, please do!
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #9
gmd3d
Admin

I will close it until you notify use ,.. sorry to hear of your problems mate

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs

Closed Thread