Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old November 1st, 2001, 06:44 AM   #1
Silas Marnar

Default Lightwave Textures

I have Lightwave 5.6 and I have tried everyway possible to put textures on my models I can never get them to line up just right. With obj files there is UV Mapper that does a GREAT job of making maps. Since lightwave does not use UV coordinates I am wondering is there a program out there that can help me with Lightwave maps?

Or does someone have a better explanation of how to create maps for it. I have read all I have on it and I just can't get it right. I have even found stuff on the net, but they are written for programs I do not have.

Paint programs I use Paint Shop Pro 7, and corel photo paint 8.
Old November 1st, 2001, 09:21 AM   #2
setesh

hi

lets just make sure i am getting this right you want to apply textures to specific parts of your models ? click polygon at the bottom of modeler so you can now select polys individualy or select groups of polys by holding down shift at the same time ,when you have selected the polys you want to map ,hit the q key and give that surface a name ,you can then take a screen grab of the polys from a planar veiw and make a texture in psp that fits exactly if you crop the texture to the parameters of the polys ,go back to modeler open the surface editor ,select from the list the surface name that you named the group of polys and load the map! voila! easy huh! *L* it may not sound it but it is honestly ,i reckon lw has the best mapping method ever! i love it !
Old November 1st, 2001, 09:22 AM   #3
setesh

btw...if you have any bother ,e-mail me and i will explain it further!
Old November 2nd, 2001, 06:56 PM   #4
Silas Marnar

Thank you selecting polys is what I must not have been doing right, of course as much as I have read on selecting them it was not til Warrior put it in simple terms that I was able to understand exactly what the poly was. Thanks alot I'll let you know how it goes.

It seemed to me that the instructions that come with these programs explain things in such a way they seem to assume that you all ready know how to operate the program.

I need a new instruction book "Lightwave 5.6 for DUMMIES!"

Last edited by Silas Marnar; November 2nd, 2001 at 06:59 PM..
Old November 3rd, 2001, 04:24 AM   #5
setesh

glad that helped! i had trouble at first with that ! , i have an excellent book here inside lw 3d ,for version 5.5 , you might have a look for it ,it covers everything , in fact its no use to me now as i use version6,5 now, i will swap it you for something if you want it, is there is anything you think i might want give me a shout! , i would normally just give it you but i barely read it before upgrading and it cost me £50, i need a new cd rom actually
Old November 24th, 2001, 03:02 AM   #6
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

Default Oh boy

Damn, i've been after that book myself.

*Shakes item in hand* I have a CDROM Drive right here

James

www.startrekart.com
Raptornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2001, 02:28 AM   #7
Silas Marnar

Email me with something you might want, I have a 6x cdrom sitting in a box. Might be able to do better.
Old November 26th, 2001, 02:00 AM   #8
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

Default No one home

I don't think he's coming back LOL

James

www.startrekart.com
Raptornet is offline   Reply With Quote