Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old August 16th, 2020, 03:26 PM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Model Conversions

What's up everyone? It's been a while since I posted here, mainly because I forgot about this site. I remembered it yesterday, mainly because once upon a time I uploaded some models here. They were built in Truespace, back when I used that software. Man, it seems like it's been ages. Due to corrupt backups and whatnot, I haven nothing left of my Truespace days and there were at least a couple models I wanted to revisit. But, it's a pill to remember how I did something that I never rendered orthos of. Then it hit me: 3D Gladiators. I uploaded things. So, I raided the models section for stuff that I made and uploaded what seems like a lifetime ago.

But, I don't use Truespace, I haven't used it in years. I use Lightwave. Caligari's .cob format was never an easy one to convert. It isn't well received by other software. I downloaded a converter that wouldn't even import it. I thought I'd gotten somewhere when an online converter seemed to like the format. But, when I exported it to formats that Lightwave would import, the models imported all messed up. (this is why I hate conversions) Finally, I wound up actually finding a download of Truespace 7.61. After figuring out how to do basic stuff like load a mesh from older versions of Truespace, then I had to find a format that Truespace could export to and Lightwave could import. I finally struck paydirt, and this was the result after a bit of fixing nonplanar and flipped faces:

All things considered, I don't think it turned out bad at all. It was built in 2009 using software from 1998 then imported into software from 2018 in 2020.

Obviously, the materials had to be redone, but that was a given. I briefly considered making new textures, but the ones from my original model hold up OK, so I used them. This is a conversion after all, not a remake. The saucer maps are 1900 pixels wide, a lot smaller than the 4k maps I use these days and they're .jpg images instead of .png, but they work fine. The only map I made yesterday was the impulse engine glow map, as I don't have the one that was used originally. I also did new bussard collector guts. I used to fake a lot of that stuff with textures, but that's now how I roll these days. So, I modeled some lights and blades.

After a few hours of messing with materials, this is what I wound up with:

So, that's where it sits right now. All fixed up and ready to play with in Lightwave 2018 (or newer.) Since this one went so well and I downloaded some of my other older stuff, I plan to convert some of my other meshes too.
Old August 16th, 2020, 04:46 PM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Model Conversions

A couple more quick conversions before I go to work. These are both going to need new textures, the ones in the .zip files are way too low resolution for my taste. The Constellation class also isn’t very accurate. It’s my 2nd version, made from a mix of references, including some schematics from Star Trek Fact Files. Those schematics use a mix of the ready room model and filming miniature for reference. I may do some rebuilding to make it more accurate to the filming miniature. The other ship isn’t canon, so it just needs some new textures.

Note: the blue is just so they show up better against the background.
Old August 17th, 2020, 10:33 PM   #3
ulimann644
Code Blue

Cool.
Hope to see this babies in the download-section soon.
ulimann644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2020, 05:39 AM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Sure, I can put the converted version of the Intrepid in the download section. The other two need a lot of love.
Old August 18th, 2020, 11:01 AM   #5
gmd3d
Admin

hey great to see your back posting art ..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2020, 02:58 PM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, like I said I forgot about this site. I wasn't even sure if it was still up until I did a search.
Old August 19th, 2020, 02:11 AM   #7
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
Yeah, like I said I forgot about this site. I wasn't even sure if it was still up until I did a search.
it was down for a while, Darrell was looking into it for a time and also dealing with his own PC issues.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 19th, 2020, 05:18 AM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I think that was probably around the time I dropped off coming here. I sort of remember it being down, then I think I stopped checking to see if it was back up after a while.
Old August 20th, 2020, 11:34 PM   #9
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Sure, I can put the converted version of the Intrepid in the download section. The other two need a lot of love.
Yay...
That sounds fantastic. The INTREPID-CLASS is one of the few classes that I have not in an adequate quality
Old August 21st, 2020, 05:12 AM   #10
gmd3d
Admin

it would be nice to see more members return.
seeing great art and model work.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 21st, 2020, 06:21 PM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I have a slight issue with uploading here, there's not a category for uploading the format for Lightwave 2018+. The highest I can select is Lightwave 9+. The issue with that is, Lightwave 2018 does something different and objects saved in its native format won't load into Lightwave 2015 and earlier. I don't know if this is due to materials or what it is. You have to actually export the files into the correct format to load into earlier versions of Lightwave. Sooooooo, I'm not uploading the model here as I can't select the correct version of Lightwave.

However, I already uploaded this model to Dropbox and shared it at SciFi-Meshes, so I'll just give you the Dropbox links to it.

Lightwave 2018+ format: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpycljd8ki...REPID.zip?dl=0

FBX format: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr8y9uw2fb...D_FBX.zip?dl=0

Textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/njwo7eb351...tures.zip?dl=0

The FBX format is (obviously) for use in other software, though it technically would work for earlier versions of Lightwave too. Whichever one you get, be sure to grab the textures too. If anyone needs the model for use in LW2015 and earlier and wants an export to that, just let me know.
Old August 24th, 2020, 01:15 AM   #12
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
I have a slight issue with uploading here, there's not a category for uploading the format for Lightwave 2018+. The highest I can select is Lightwave 9+. The issue with that is, Lightwave 2018 does something different and objects saved in its native format won't load into Lightwave 2015 and earlier. I don't know if this is due to materials or what it is. You have to actually export the files into the correct format to load into earlier versions of Lightwave. Sooooooo, I'm not uploading the model here as I can't select the correct version of Lightwave.

However, I already uploaded this model to Dropbox and shared it at SciFi-Meshes, so I'll just give you the Dropbox links to it.

Lightwave 2018+ format: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpycljd8ki...REPID.zip?dl=0

FBX format: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr8y9uw2fb...D_FBX.zip?dl=0

Textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/njwo7eb351...tures.zip?dl=0

The FBX format is (obviously) for use in other software, though it technically would work for earlier versions of Lightwave too. Whichever one you get, be sure to grab the textures too. If anyone needs the model for use in LW2015 and earlier and wants an export to that, just let me know.
Hurra - many thanx for sharing. I´ve downloaded it and I can´t wait to create my first scene with it.

I have installed actually both LW-Versions (2019 and 2015) so I can try to export the 2019 version to 2015 (I´ve made this with my F-302 an it worked well).
Old August 24th, 2020, 01:59 AM   #13
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I could have exported it to LW2015 format, but if nobody needs it I won't bother. It sounds like you've got it handled.
Old August 24th, 2020, 02:52 AM   #14
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Yeah, I could have exported it to LW2015 format, but if nobody needs it I won't bother. It sounds like you've got it handled.
Sorry - I´ve meant Version 11.5 is installed.
I have converted it into this version and the mesh looks good. After re-texturing and a little work at the materials it should look nearly as good as the original.

I´ve made a first beauty-shot with it.
BTW: Is it okay to add the logo of the Terran Empire and some yellow parts to it, for a personal MU-Version (for my WIKI-article about the MU-Class)?

Old August 24th, 2020, 03:37 AM   #15
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulimann644 View Post
BTW: Is it okay to add the logo of the Terran Empire and some yellow parts to it, for a personal MU-Version (for my WIKI-article about the MU-Class)?
Go for it.
Old August 24th, 2020, 04:46 AM   #16
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Looks good.

Go for it.
Many thanx.

I´ve re-textured the LW 11.5 Mesh (no spec-maps yet) and rendered it with LW 11.5. I think, in the end there will be just minor differences between both versions.

Old August 24th, 2020, 05:24 AM   #17
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, that's one thing I don't like about backwards conversions, the materials go wonky. When I first started in LW2018, I hated what they'd done with the materials, so I actually converted a ship that I'd started in it to continue in LW10. But, after a while, I did another project and just figured out how the materials worked. Since then, it's been better for me. There are definitely a lot of improvements in LW2018, but I do sometimes miss the way the older versions did things. One nice thing about LW11 and onward is that you don't have to use that stupid dongle. (though, mine is literally sitting right here in front of me)
Old August 24th, 2020, 07:51 AM   #18
ulimann644
Code Blue

Okay - but on the other side it was not a big deal to fix the material-problem.
The LW 11.5 version looks okay now.

So I guess some people will have a lot of fun with the FBX-Version, if they are working with MAX, Cinema 4D or Blender.

Old August 24th, 2020, 05:14 PM   #19
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I opened the FBX version in Blender after I created it, to check it out. It imports OK. Of course, the materials are wrong, but that was expected.
Old August 26th, 2020, 11:13 PM   #20
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

There's always OBJ format.

And welcome back.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2020, 01:50 AM   #21
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I've found in the past that FBX exports with less issues than OBJ.
Old August 27th, 2020, 06:38 PM   #22
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

This plug-in supposedly lets older LW users load up newer LW models - https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...y/lwo3-loader/

I haven't tried it yet, but it is an option.

I'll look into updating the Program listing for uploads to reflect newer versions of LW... maybe even just make it a text field for the user to list what version it is rather than select from a pull down menu.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2020, 07:46 PM   #23
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Nice! I'll have to give that a shot. It would mean reinstalling LW10, but it's worth it to check that out. Fortunately, I have my dongle sitting right here.
Old August 29th, 2020, 08:02 AM   #24
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
This plug-in supposedly lets older LW users load up newer LW models - https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...y/lwo3-loader/

I haven't tried it yet, but it is an option.

I'll look into updating the Program listing for uploads to reflect newer versions of LW... maybe even just make it a text field for the user to list what version it is rather than select from a pull down menu.
Tested it with 11.5
Just get an Error-Message.
Old August 29th, 2020, 02:39 PM   #25
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The Read Me file says it works with LW 2015. That may be the only version it's designed to work with. I'll give it a look in 10 later.
Old August 29th, 2020, 04:32 PM   #26
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I can confirm that the plug-in doesn't work in Lightwave 10 64-bit.