Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Reference Requests and Submissions
Notices
Reference Requests and Submissions Building a Spaceship and need ref? Maybe you designed something? Then pop on in here and ask about it or share it!

Old June 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #91
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: Star Trek Models and Resources

Dang it... should have payed close attention to post dates.... By now they might be better than me.....
dv8_fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #92
Fretslayer

I do a lot of work in D|S and Carrara and I can tell you first hand there are a lot of really good resource sites out there for them.

If you use D|S, Carrara or Poser you'll want to sign up for the DAZ3D news letter.
Every month they give you a link were you can download a free fully rigged mesh. Like any thing else some are better than others but they're all still well worth the price.
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #93
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

Just to add to what you just mentioned, Fretslayer...

From time to time, Daz offers great deals on software programs... BRYCE, CARRARA, HEXAGON and others . Their last promo was a bundle deal for Carrara 6 Pro, Hexagon 2.5, Bryce 6.1, Mimic Lite, Mimic Pro, Mimic Pro for LightWave ... all for just $199.00 to Daz Platinum Members or $over 500.00 ( If I'm not mistaken) for non-members.

I purchased the full version of Bryce 6 last year for just $1.99..... not bad....

Daz Studio 2.0 , their version of Poser, is FREE....
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #94
Fretslayer

That package that DAZ was offering was awesome and if I didn't already own 90% of it, I would have jumped all over it. The DAZ3D Platinum membership is well worth the price.

I used Poser back when they had P4 and P5. I learned how to use MAX and then LWO and at that point I didn't expect to ever see anything like Poser again... But when I discovered D|S (easily one of the most powerful free rendering/animating programs ever released) I got re-hooked and then I made the jump to Carrara Pro 6 and I love it.

I still use LWO from time to time but when it comes to animating people, Carrara just kicks too much a$$ for me to walk away from it.

Speaking of which, has anybody used MIMIC for LWO with any level of success?

*on a side note, that avatar I made uses a Pilsner glass I got for free from Renderosity and the girl in the glass is Teri Yuki with Saphire hair.*
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #95
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post

*on a side note, that avatar I made uses a Pilsner glass I got for free from Renderosity and the girl in the glass is Teri Yuki with Saphire hair.*

I was staring at it a while back, even downloaded it to get a closer look... my first thoughts was TY.... Love that hair.

I used Mr. Sala Manda on mine. I wanted to get Carrara but had to put it off till the next promo.
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #96
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

Which reminds me.... don't get Daz Studio 2.1.1.13....

ooiii...
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #97
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8_fx View Post
I was staring at it a while back, even downloaded it to get a closer look... my first thoughts was TY.... Love that hair.

I used Mr. Sala Manda on mine. I wanted to get Carrara but had to put it off till the next promo.
I love the TY mesh. I use her for a lot of stuff because she can do both realistic rendering as well as anime. Plus, she's pretty cute for being a pixle girl. LOL!

The saphire hair is really cool too. It can do a lot of real nice morphs and as you know, that brings alot to both a render as well as an animation.

Regarding Carrara - If you've used D|S and you like it - jump on Carrara Pro 6.

I began using the DAZ products because I hit a wall when it came to character rigging in MAX. I could do it but I couldn't get it perfect and my 'actors' would get weird bends in their arm pits and such. It was really frustrating for me (as I am self taught) and felt like I had hit a plateau.

It was during that time when I was feeling down about my animation ability that I noticed I had D|S installed from forever ago when I had used Bryce 5. I loaded up D|S and was floored from the first second I loaded up a human mesh. Since that moment I've been a DAZaholic and I've not stopped (although I can any time I want...yah...that's it... I can stop...really... I can...)

I'm 80% done with a BSG (tos era) animated fan film and when it's finished I'm going to share the LWO & MAX to Carrara/D|S covnersions I've done. I've converted everything from the Galactica and Vipers to clothing and even built a nice 'fake' Galactica bridge.

Btw- It's nice to know I'm not the only DAZ junkie around here.

One of the things that I think make this website a real strong resource is that we have an solid group of people who use Max, LWO, TS, Poser and DAZ products.

Here's a couple of images I made with TY.
One is the logo for my microbrewery (and my avatar) and the other is just me being a silly bastard.

http://wabashponies.com/dan/Thttpt.jpg

http://wabashponies.com/dan/BarleyNebula-LG-1.jpg
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #98
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

Nice images. I knew it was TY... with that unmistakable quarker product. I got the hair but not Terai Yuki. I'm planning to get Miki... She's got that asian look I need.

At the time I was working with at an architectural firm, my boss wanted to add human figures to real interior design and rendered architectural scenes for demos to the client. I ended up using poser. Not 3dmax coz we didn't have any acceptable human content. Too bad at the time, you can't import 3dmax or lightwave into poser.

As a freelancer, I'm the only designer here that incorporates 3d humans in place of live ones most especially if the clients are cheap and dont want to hire models.

Tho I pop in regularly at rendo and daz to download stuff (I'm born in the year of the rat hence packrat), I never found time to do poser or 3dmax art or such. Always busy. Even right now as I surf the net, I'm working at finishing a project at 3 in the morning.

I like sites like these, great resource from talented people for ideas , inspiration and a refreshing push to continue what I do for a living.... not only for work but for personal passions as well. The making of ST2009 re-ignited my ST mesh model craze. And my daughter had to add the fire... Daddy, you created so much 3d buildings and stuff and art design work... but where's your Enterprise model?

silence....

uuuuhhhhh.... coming, honey..... soon....

love that kid.

Last edited by dv8_fx; June 5th, 2008 at 12:42 PM..
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #99
Fretslayer

Funny comment about your child requesting an Enterprise. LOL!
My nephew pulled a similar Jedi mind trick on me only with dragons instead. LOL!

When you're working against the clock you can't beat the DAZ 'people' for adding a bit of life to a scene. I'm an animation team of 1 and any time I can get a hold of something that speeds up my production time (without sacrificing quality) I'm all over it.

Speaking of being a pack rat...I don't know if this is something I should brag about or be embarrassed by, but I have over 30GB of CG meshes. I have a mesh for any occasion. LOL!
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #100
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

You don't have to be embarrassed. I should be....

In front of my workstation at home is a row of cd storage towers containing exactly 241, 700MB disks ... I'm poor at math, calculate please......
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #101
Fretslayer

LOL!

Dude, I'm a guitarist in a rock/metal band. If I could count I'd be working at NASA. LOL!
My math skills tap out somewhere between ABV% and yeast to sugar ratios.
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #102
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

Sorry mods for a lil derailing within the thread.... lol

Kindred spirit... what ax do you have... I've got a 74 Fender, SteinbergerGL and a Japanese Les Paul.... I used to be a showband singer/guitarist for 16 years before I got hitched.
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #103
Fretslayer

You have some nice guitars.

I have four B.C Rich Customs (all California and from the mid 70s through mid 80s) 3 Warlocks and 1 Mocking bird.
1 Warlock is a 6 string the others are basses. The basses are strung with Dean Markley Blue Steel strings and 6 string with Dean Markley.

I have two Gibson Flying V's (one classic one King V) both six string and I have 1 Jackson Randy Rhoads V. Dean Markley strings again.

I use Crate amps (Tidalwave and Shockwave) when playing guitar and Ampeg for my bass rigs. I use Jim Dunlop Tortex pics (thin red on guitar and thick purple on bass).

I play bass in my band and on-stage but I'm a guitar player offstage and when writing songs or just jammin with my friends.

DV8 - pm me and we can talk shop.

3DsMax, Lightwave and TrueSpace -- there, I got us back on track!

Last edited by Fretslayer; June 5th, 2008 at 01:29 PM..
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #104
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

lol

Ohh, mama... you're armed to teeth.... graphics wise, too...

I sold off my Twin Reverb years ago. Couldn't carry with me and it was collecting dust in the cellar.

ooohhh B. C. Rich.... I wanted to buy one before but decided on the headless coz its easy to lug around when on tour around Asia. When at home, I use the the strat and Les.

I'd got to log off it's 4.30 and zzzzzzzz.....

See ya guys...
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #105
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Geeze... what a love fest!
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #106
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Geeze... what a love fest!
Well, I do have a program called 'Crossdresser'.

:laugh:

I got into animation because there is life after rock-n-roll and I think it's pretty cool though to have met another musician hanging around a CG artist site.

Sorry for the off-topic thing... I still get really excited about music and gear.
I didn't stop doing live shows because I wanted to - I stopped because a car accident did a wicked amount of damage to my neck and spine.
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #107
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

Call it an outlet....

I've bumped into a lot of former musicians in the graphics world. They left music for various reasons. One of which is "I got to feed the family".....

Oh my, fretslayer... that is a bummer...
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #108
Fretslayer

Quote:
Call it an outlet....

I've bumped into a lot of former musicians in the graphics world. They left music for various reasons. One of which is "I got to feed the family".....

Oh my, fretslayer... that is a bummer...
I'm lucky really.
If you've ever heard of the band Savatage, my friend Criss was their guitarist (and an amazing, amazing one at that!) who was killed in a car accident. A drunk driver killed him. I have chronic pain issues but I'm alive and that's more than some - So that makes my situation much easier for me to deal with.

Plus, it gave me the clarity to find my true path in life...which is actually as a psychologist helping other chronic pain survivors to help themselves.
As much as I loved the live show, it got to the point where I was more interested in the after-show party because I found so much enjoyment just listening to people tell me about their lives. I still play but now I play for a much smaller audience...that and I give guitar lessons to some of the teens in my neighborhood back home. Once they (the kids) know you were a crazy guitarist they open right up and I do a lot of good there too.

Anyway... I don't want to get off topic and get yelled at. LOL!

If you've ever seen Dennis Bailey's 1701-A LWO mesh (the 2001 version), I'm working on making a D|S/Carrara conversion. Warrior was far beyond helpful in assisting me to resolve a texture map issue earlier tonight.
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #109
billyben

Quote:
Which reminds me.... don't get Daz Studio 2.1.1.13....

ooiii...
What did it do? As of tody they have 2.2 out that is supposed to fix some of the issues in 2.1. I downloaded it but am waiting for some reports back to see how it does. No problems with 2.1 for me but my 'puter is a horse ansd was the fastest thing on the planet last year. However, now it's time to upgrade again.
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #110
Fretslayer

I'm curious as well regarding the warning not to download/install 2.1.x.
I know there was some sort of issue with an update 1 or 2 updates ago but by then I was already knee deep in Carrara.

I got my email from DAZ today and saw the comment about 2.2 being better able to do lip sync - I've been using MIMIC for a while now and I'm happy with it. I know that P7 has a similar feature (forgot what they call it) but I've not used that yet (as Poser seems to render too slow for my taste). I might do a speech test with 2.2 just to check out the results. The one thing that bothers me about Carrara is that it doesn't support importing audio files - that seems counter productive when working with MIMIC.
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #111
dv8_fx
Shuttle Pilot

I haven't downloaded the latest release.

Billyben... when 2,1,1,13 first came out, there were a lot of issues.... with regrds to installation ( that bitrock installer is the pitts) .... some, like me, couldn't load previously created scenes and stuff. Others lost some of their settings and content due to the install overwrite and various bugs encountered by member users.

Not to mention that 2 version updates were released with in a month of each other. This added to the prevailing note that something was really wrong somewhere to begin with.... that DAZ rushed out the update without thorough testing....

In the end, a lot DAZ members used the stable, previous version.... a wait and see of what a new update would be like.

You may have probably downloaded the latest fix at the time. I read it was better .... in some user systems. Me? I stuck to the old one...

Yes..... better wait for the reviews before you install the new update. Unless you've backuped ever byte of DStudio data or have a second computer to act as sacrifice pawn....... lol

Last edited by dv8_fx; June 5th, 2008 at 11:22 PM..
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #112
billyben

Quote:
I haven't downloaded the latest release.

Billyben... when 2,1,1,13 first came out, there were a lot of issues.... with regrds to installation ( that bitrock installer is the pitts) .... some, like me, couldn't load previously created scenes and stuff. Others lost some of their settings and content due to the install overwrite and various bugs encountered by member users.

Not to mention that 2 version updates were released with in a month of each other. This added to the prevailing note that something was really wrong somewhere to begin with.... that DAZ rushed out the update without thorough testing....

In the end, a lot DAZ members used the stable, previous version.... a wait and see of what a new update would be like.

You may have probably downloaded the latest fix at the time. I read it was better .... in some user systems. Me? I stuck to the old one...

Yes..... better wait for the reviews before you install the new update. Unless you've backuped ever byte of DStudio data or have a second computer to act as sacrifice pawn....... lol
Thanks for the info. I must be a glutton for punishment because I started out with 2.0 then went to 2.1 and finally installed 2.2 last night. I am in the process of reinstalling everyting including a bunch of goodies I purchased during the deep discount sales DAZ has been running the last two weeks (I got a bunch of goodies @ 85 to 90% off). I also went "download crazy" and royally messed up three separate installations (as in stuff/files all pver the place). This time will be much more structured with only select freebies installed in the runtimes. Then I can finally start on some updated TOS textures for the V4 Bodysuit. I am going to try to use the LIE for the TOS insignia braids. I have a lot to learn.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #113
billyben

Need to get this thread back on track. I am looking for scale drawings of TOS & TNG/DS9 weapons (side arms and long arms, not crew served or ship weapons). I am goping to try my hand at Hexagon and figure I might as well do something usefull. TIA
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #114
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

If it's hand phasers and phaser rifles you're looking for, I'd suggest picking up the tech manuals for the various series. That will be your best bet for those weapons. For more exotic weapons, you might have to check other sources (if you can find any.) Though, the DS9 tech manual covers Cardassian & Bajoran weapons.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:13 AM   #115
lord_azathoth

Anyone know where I can grab some Enterprise era ships for lightwave???
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM   #116
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The Enterprise-era Intrepid NV-01 is available here in .lwo 5.6 format. And so is the NX-01 herself.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM   #117
lord_azathoth

Cool thanks! I saw a Vulcan D'kyr over at Scifi-Meshes, but it was in MAX format. Anyone know if there is a conversion?
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #118
KlingonGeneral

I am looking for and and all information on TOS/TMP klingon ships and Resources...I am part of starting a SIM of a TOS/TMP timeline Klingon Bird of Prey B'rel Class...in fact it is based on the very first B'rel. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Q'apla!
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #119
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Here are some general information links to the two Star Trek Wikias that have all the info on all Klingon starships. I went ahead and did the relevant category search for Klingon starships, you can take it from there. Unfortunately, they're not really broken down into class, but you should be able to click on a ship and find its class page in the links at the bottom (or just search for the class.)

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Cate...ngon_starships
http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Categ...ngon_starships

More info on Klingon ships:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...ngon_ships.htm

There are a couple Klingon articles here, so I'll post it as well:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles.htm (The article on the BOP sizes is probably relevant to what you're doing)

Hardware (studio models, studio CGI models) references can be found here:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans.htm

And, of course, schematics:

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/klingon.html
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...ints-main2.php

Those pages should give you info on most every Klingon ship in existence, from stuff on the shows to fan fiction and designs. There are probably other sites (some even dedicated entirely to all things Klingon) but that's what www.google.com is for.
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #120
KlingonGeneral

Thank you! I did google and got most of what you have here...however there were several I can use that you posted.

This does help...