Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > MOONBASE ALPHA COMMLOCK > Translator Microbes
Notices
Translator Microbes News that is injected into you and colonise at the base of your brain.

Old July 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #31
Acadia

Shipping to Canada isn't bad. Shipping to Canada via UPS is bad!!!!! Many people think that UPS is the cheapest route to send by, but they don't know about the hidden border processing brokerage fee that UPS dings the recipient with.

It's actually cheaper to send things to Canada by FedEx because FedEx fees are all inclusive and there are no hidden charges to the recipient, unless it's "Duty Fees". But they work their paperwork into the actual fee that is charged.

For example, I ordered that Poser 5 Demystified course from 3-Axis, and they sent it by UPS. It took 2 months for me to receive it. The S&H that 3-Axis charged me was $9.99. When UPS delivered the parcel, they wanted $50.00 for brokerage fees (for processing the border papers). The course itself was only $59 or $69 USD.

Had 3-Axis sent me that parcel via FedEx, I would have had it next day and the whole S&H and border processing would have cost me $21.00.

I really wanted the course so I paid UPS their stupid fee. The total cost of the course for me after exchange, S&H and UPS brokerage fee was $160.00
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #32
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The best, cheapest way to ship anything in the U.S. (with destination all over the world) is the United States Postal Service. USPS charges as much for next day air as UPS does for ground shipping. It's clearly the best choice.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #33
Acadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180
The best, cheapest way to ship anything in the U.S. (with destination all over the world) is the United States Postal Service. USPS charges as much for next day air as UPS does for ground shipping. It's clearly the best choice.

It depends. The postage rate might be cheaper, but do they charge the recipient a processing fee for the paperwork at the border? UPS is cheap, but they charge a brokerage fee based on the dollar value of the item being shipped (new or used, it doesn't matter) in order to process the paperwork at the border. The recipient must pay this fee before the package will be delivered. And sometimes this fee works out to almost the same price as the item's value.

So paying $5 or $10 for shipping doesn't make a difference if the recipient has to pay $50 upon delivery.
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM   #34
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I don't know. The only time I ever received anything in another country was when I was deployed to Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom. We didn't (and shouldn't) have to pay for our mail. So, the only people paying were the people sending us stuff. And, it was all Postal because UPS and FedEx don't exist over there.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 06:06 AM   #35
Cryptie

Im glad my work isnt good enough to steal.

Last edited by Cryptie; July 26th, 2006 at 06:26 AM..
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #36
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

Warrior I hope they resolve this issue. This was also an issue at Deviant Art someone was selling pictures of various artist. I hope E-Bay gets on the ball on solves this.
McAfee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #37
Oovebei
DSV Engineer

The person is still selling this stuff - so I assume e-bay took no action, or was it deemed legal (i.e. credits where appropriate?)
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:38 PM   #38
VidFX
Shuttle Pilot

Just send them an invoice for your costs, follow up with a debt colletion agency, then break their legs.
Old February 12th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #39
Sean Kennedy
Treybor

Warrior, I feel for you man.... As you probably heard, someone tried to rip off my Space Jockey mesh back in December. It's a very disturbing trend....

www.seansgallery.com
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #40
p.s. Cargile
Master Pilot

Hey guys,

It's been almost two years since I poked my head in hear long enough to post. I came here to post art, but I saw this thread. Here is a link to the US Copyright Office that has information that every artists/writer should learn. Copyrights in the US protect all works even those not registered. It is illegal to use anyone's art without written permission. The Fair Use page has this interesting fact: "Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission."

I know its not always an option to register works, or to get a copyright lawyer to sue infringers, so informing others of theft, and confronting the thief is another option. Sometimes directing them to the copyright office website and threating legal action can get results. Many countries are together in copyright treaties and honor copyrights from outside their borders. But some aren't and don't.

I'm not an Ebay user, is there a place where you can leave comments? Telling other users that the person trying to sell items with stolen art might sway them from buying.

Also, if you don't think there are enough protections for works on the web, complain to your representatives. I haven't done this, but maybe I should.

This is a serious issue, and we artists should be able to display our work without fear of infringement.

Paul
p.s. Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #41
chrisis1033

Thanks for the info and link Paul!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM   #42
kpoche

Now thats just a damn shame .. some people.
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:30 PM   #43
cyclone

Default Re: Art Theft

You know, a threat of sueing someone might do something. People hatethe work lawyer and court.... Just my two cents here. BTW HI ALL.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #44
mbeers

Whats the story with that You cant take pride in stealing and selling or playing it off like the art is yours. I guess what ever it takes to make the mighty buck. Artist theese days need every penny they can get out of the time, effort and skill they put into their work.
The old man thats great work and the pat on the back doesnt pay the bills.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #45
mbeers

THANKS FOR THE THE ABOVE LINK. WE NEED TO PROTECT OUR WORK EVERY WAY WE CAN.
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #46
Fretslayer

You want I should track 'em down and break their fingers?
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #47
psycoderek

If there is one thing i hate as an artist is theft of work. A person who puts in many painstaaking hours of hard work on a piece and then has it ripped from them by some unscroupulous thief who claims it for themselves deserves all the protection the law has to offer. THEFT IS THEFT END OF STORY. As a concensious artist working in 3D now i always refference any objects used back to the orriginator. The layout and design may be my idea, but the content may be some one elses. It is good manners to ask permission to use any objects or orriginal content when creating a piece of art. Where the piece is for commercial gain then the orriginal artist MUST BE CONSULTED AND PAID THEIR DUES. I create art for all and ask nothing in return, but i draw the line at art theft by others for profit. Warrior deserves payment for ay monies earned from the sale of imagery used in this fashion END OF STORY.
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #48
gmd3d
Admin

yep what he said ^

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #49
Fretslayer

The situation is that our copyright laws are outdated and need to be reexamined to reflect the digital world we currently live in and better provide the protection to the artist.

Art theft happens on so many levels now that much of the time people are unaware that they are taking part in it themselves.

There are people who 'sample' other people's music, 'rap' over it and claim it as their own. Think of this as a musical kitbash and suddenly it's not so harmless and yet there are 'artists' out there who's entire musical career is built on the works written by other true artists.

If theft is theft is theft then it's time we address not only the visual arts copyright protection but that of the audio artist as well.

(fun fact #666: If you change every 3rd note of any song you can claim it as an original work of art)
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #50
gmd3d
Admin

Still has it posted

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCI-FI-BATTLESTA...3%3A1|294%3A50

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #51
kageryu

It's things of this nature that forced me to watermark all my work posted at a certain art site. Many people have complained about the watermarks (which I have tried to make as non-intrusive as possible while still insuring removal might deface the image). It's unfortunate, but it's one of very few solutions these days.
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #52
Fretslayer

I see the eBay link is gone.
Did you get satisfaction?
I hope so.

(note - I am not being sarcastic. I mean it in the Southern tradition of smacking a jerk across the face and requesting they meet you outside to discuss the matter further.)
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM   #53
Moonglow
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
I see the eBay link is gone.
Did you get satisfaction?
I hope so.
Looks to me like it's still here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCI-FI-BATTLESTA...item4837c8fcf5
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM   #54
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow View Post
It was down last time I clicked it or I wouldn't have posted my comment.

(I got my 1st computer in 85 and my 1st modem in 86...same year my BBS went online - I've been 'online' longer than most) LOL!

Too bad there doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do regarding the theft.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:30 PM   #55
Sean Kennedy
Treybor

These dipsticks will never learn.....

www.seansgallery.com
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #56
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kennedy View Post
These dipsticks will never learn.....
Perhaps we should make some fake eBay accounts, bid on the product - win the auction- and then not pay for it.

They can't exactly file a complaint against us for not paying for the property they've stolen. LOL!

you know... Like the crazy people you'll see on 'Cops' who call 911 and say...

'I need a cop! I tried to buy crack and they took my money and gave me a piece of soap!'

LOL!

I wonder if it's possible to blow their auctions by doing that.
Any thoughts?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #57
gmd3d
Admin

Good to see you over here Sean will you be posting some art or WIPS some time in the future

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM   #58
Moonglow
Shuttle Pilot

I would imagine that Warrior could auction an 8x10 glossy print of his chart at e-bay using the EXACT title description as the t-shirt. But in the detail description, this 8X10 would be signed by the artist, have a starting bid of $.99, a shipping cost of $9.00, an end-of-auction date that matches the t-shirt auction, AND a mention that this is the ONLY legal image by the artist and NOT the knock-offs found eleswhere on e-Bay. Whatever search word finds the t-shirt should also find this auction item (if "t-shirt" and other like keywords found on the t-shirt auction page are used in this description). Since its starting bid is $.99, it would more than likely display at the top of the buyer's search results list and be the first thing they read. Most bidders don't want to pay that kind of shipping charge and certainly not if you only accept certified checks, which leaves a small chance of being inconvienced with really selling the photo. But, having read the part about knock-offs, the buyer would then be educated as to the truth. Should the t-shirt show up again, just repeat the process.