Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old September 15th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #1
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Default Right-click to save images - BMP only?

This may seem like an odd question, but hopefully, there's someone who has a workaround for me:

For the last few months, when I've right-clicked images to save them, IE only allows me to save as a BMP file, even though the source files are JPG's. This seems to be the case for every image on the internet, so I'm thinking it's a setting on my side, but I can't find anything about it in the browser's options.

As a result, every AoM vote requires me to download about 30 images as BMP, convert them back to JPG, and then upload them again, which takes forever...

Any ideas on how to get the browser to recognize the images as JPG?
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #2
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Look here -

http://www.techgroup21.com/subpage.asp?subnavID=112

Be warned though, I have noted that database derived images (even with extension properties seen) always want to save as BMP. This is easy to test by going to a static site that has a JPG/JPEG file and trying to save. The static site image will likely be saved in the native format.

You could try this as well;

- Have your cache cleared and then view images you want to 'save'.
- Go to the cache (with an image tool that has a browse feature) and scan the most recent temp file - they should be there and in the correct format (works for me every time).
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #3
General Phoenix

Actually, it looks like I just had too much crap stored in my temp files. Once I emptied them, I was able to save the files correctly.

Thanks for the link - that site will come in handy in future.
General Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #4
thomas7g

btw Irfanview is a great free little program that is wonderful for viewing and converting images of all types. it even has a batch processor that is easy to use.
Old September 17th, 2003, 05:47 PM   #5
General Phoenix

Way ahead of you - I've been using IrfanView for years.

I like the new resampling/resizing features - they come in handy for making full-size posters from smaller images while maintaining quality. That's a feature that my graphics-suite can't even do (although it is about 5 years out of date.)
General Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote