Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old January 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Rivers3D

POST Enterprise-F Design Contest Liasion Thread

As one or two may have already seen, there have been a lot of plagarized entries to Cryptic's Enterprise-F contest at startrekonline.com

Having been one of the people who have had their designs stolen and entered in someone elses name (my Excalibur Class), i made contact with Dan Stahl, Executive Producer, and Ivan Sulic, Marketing Communications Manager.

Both have made it quite clear that they understand the amount of plagarized material being entered, and are never going to allow the winning entry to be stolen material.

From our discussions, the fluid nature of the entry regristration and constantly updating website page, it would be a logistical nightmare for them to screen each one as its entered online. When the contest ends however, they are going to spend a great amount of effort researching each entry to make sure it is legitimately the entrant holder's work, and not seen elsewhere on the internet under different author names.

Ivan has asked me to work with the contest team on this process to bring my knowledge on the subject, and to work with you guys in the community so we can guarantee whoose work is valid and whoose isnt.

Here is an excert from Ivan in his own words...

Quote:
"I want to make sure we do everything we possibly can to weed them all out. I think I’d spontaneously combust if an illegitimate entry slipped through, so thanks for those links and your offer of support. I will absolutely rely on you for advice and assistance.

Definitely, we’ll make sure yours and the works of other artists are protected. And I would greatly appreciate it if you could reassure them since I don’t know those communities.

Ivan Sulic
Marcom Manager
Cryptic Studios"
So to help them with their efforts, i am going to be working with Ivan and the team to weed out the entries that are illegal, and also hopefully confirm the ones that are genuinely the authors of the ships we love.

To do this, i'm asking that we as a community help and i will use this thread (and at other scifi 3d websites) to bring forward "problem" entries that may need verifying that me and the contest team cant find ourselves.

The contest is closing in a few days time, and so then our work will begin and i'll update this page and check back on a daily basis with designs and content that we may need help with.

Thanks for your time as always folks, - if there's going to be a canon "Enterprise-F", lets at least make sure it doesnt cause an embarrasment when its announced.
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: Enterprise-F Design Contest Liasion Thread

uuuugh!'???

a what and a what?? "lol"

what is it you asking (I can see what your telling).
are you looking for help weeding out the plagiarized elements.

I never even heard of this contest " Enterprise-F ". I think I was a
member of that site in the past. but I could be wrong. it was a few years ago

sounds interesting anyway.

anyway welcome to 3dg

keep trekking

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Hey Rivers, good to see you finally posted

Anyways... what's this about a contest?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #4
gmd3d
Admin

any chance of a link to see what is offered at the moment ..

it will be interesting to see if any of the designs will make a nod to the Enterprise J ..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Redfern
Shuttle Pilot

Taranis, I assume you know about a site titled "Star Trek On-line". It's an on-line game sanctioned by CBS/Paramount similar in some aspects to World of WarCraft or EverQuest. To garner publicity, the site is currently holding a contest for fans to design the next ship bearing the name Enterprise for the game. I don't know what the prizes are, but that's not really important for this discussion.

The important factor is among the hundreds (if not thousands) of entries, some people are taking other people's artwork (images found at various sites, say, for example, 3D Gladiators) and trying to pass it off as their own. Sometimes they "frankenstein" the image with other pieces, sometimes they will simply "PhotoShop" the real artist's signature out of the image.

Rivers3D is merely requesting additional people to help check the entries and let him know if we find any selections we know were created by artists other than the submitters.

There's been a rather long and bitter (when are threads there not bitter?) discussion about the forgeries at the TrekBBS in the fan art section.

Sincerely,

Bill
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #6
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfern View Post
Taranis, I assume you know about a site titled "Star Trek On-line". It's an on-line game sanctioned by CBS/Paramount similar in some aspects to World of WarCraft or EverQuest. To garner publicity, the site is currently holding a contest for fans to design the next ship bearing the name Enterprise for the game. I don't know what the prizes are, but that's not really important for this discussion.

The important factor is among the hundreds (if not thousands) of entries, some people are taking other people's artwork (images found at various sites, say, for example, 3D Gladiators) and trying to pass it off as their own. Sometimes they "frankenstein" the image with other pieces, sometimes they will simply "PhotoShop" the real artist's signature out of the image.

Rivers3D is merely requesting additional people to help check the entries and let him know if we find any selections we know were created by artists other than the submitters.

There's been a rather long and bitter (when are threads there not bitter?) discussion about the forgeries at the TrekBBS in the fan art section.

Sincerely,

Bill
I have heard of it, but never really looked at it.. after I had a quick look around and say it was open to US only.. not much of an on line player.

as to the important item of the post, I can understand that and the need to find out who did what and when.

As for checking out images to see if any forgeries are found

no problem, glad to help if possible.

as we here and at many other sites stipulate that all images must have proper credits attached to the image and alterations are frowned on.

Removal of credits from images and reposted anywhere on the WWW (and if it was from a member from here) could face a banning from the site. something I hate doing bty.

Warrior I am sure will have other things to say also.

Thanks for the info Redfern

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Not only would they be banned from here, but also have the word spread out about them at other sites we know.
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #8
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Not only would they be banned from here, but also have the word spread out about them at other sites we know.
yes. we are a tight community so that´s for sure.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Starship
Starships are my hobby!

Count on me for help.

Hey Taranis, the contest is up here. There a few good concepts posted. Take a look there: http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/gallery

Personal Site - http://starships.host.sk

My Blog - http://brstarship.wordpress.com
3DS Max user
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #10
gmd3d
Admin

cool .... I like to see more concept designs going on here too .....

might try a few myself

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 17th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Some look decent, some I had to giggle at
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #12
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Some look decent, some I had to giggle at
you giggler you

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs