Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old July 5th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #1
tooie32

Default Can't download anything from site

Hi I am new here but I got a problem. When I want to download somthing to this site after I registered and activated the my registration and logedin for some reason all the downloads that ones I want to download the download like are not linked to the files to be downloaded.

Am I missing somthing or do i need to get permission.

Carl
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Could it be that you didn't read the text on the Category pages, and just clicked "I agree" instead?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #3
tooie32

Ya I have clicked agree.
Old July 5th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #4
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

Yes, but you don't have enough posts just yet - need 5 posts in the forums before you're able to download.
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #5
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Hence reading rather than just clicking.
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #6
tooie32

I think this will be my fifth post so I will be replying saying thanks for the info I needed I'll look at the other posts to inrease mine.
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #7
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

I've been a "silent observer" here for a while, but as I recall, it didn't used to be like this; what prompted the sudden change?
tnpir4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #8
tooie32

sudden change?
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #9
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

We didn't want people downloading all the files without at least stopping in and introducing themselves, maybe provide some constructive criticism in the WIP forum, that sort of thing.

Otherwise, it would be like going to someone's apartment and raiding their fridge without them knowing. You want a sandwich, fine. But at least leave a note or a couple of dollars for bread...
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #10
tooie32

Thanks for the tip General Pheonix.

There were a couple of stuff I wanted to download. I could do more but ya don't have any stuff for Victoria 3 well the stuff I wanted to get.

unless you can try to get a copy and put it on your site for download when you have the permission to do it.

What I want to get is a Starfleet uniform from Ds9 to movie Nemesis. I have seen that you have some of those uniforms but not for Victoria 3 I gotten about 10 women that equires victoria 3 which I bought before I lost my job and right know I have no money to get a couple more women.

I have found the uniform I wanted and the right requirements for the wemon I have. But the problem is that the owner of that site wants people to pay for subscription to download any of there stuff even the ones that are free.

So I have to wait just as long as getting two more wemon once I have the money. So for know I have 10 woman naked for a while they do have hair I have added them to make sure.

Anyway the uniform that I wanted is among the free downloads but I have to pay there suscription to get it.

So far most of the people I have talked to say that they won't take my request.

But if you like to get some of those from that site once you have the permission then that will be great. That way you will have more choices for downloads and more new people coming into your site.

If your interested I'll send you the link to the site and the link to the uniform I wanted.

If you say no then that ok. But the suggestion to ask aroung to for more stuff to your site still stands. That way your site will be more recinisable.

Carl
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #11
CBSection31

Personally, I like the 5-post rule. I would have never decided to post here if it weren't for it, but this seems like a nice community. Plus, I can't even imagine how much bandwidth it must save!
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #12
LordTyphon

3 D CGI How do I get download privlages?

I'm just curious about that, as I see alot of good meshes I wouldn't mind trying out here.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

You must first genuflect three times facing NNE (a genuine Roman Catholic genuflection only). You should be wearing organic cotton and no shoes. Then turn around three times, hop up and down twice, all the while chanting "Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv."

Wave an ostrich feather over your computer five times, say "Ronald who?" twice, smack your forehead with the palm of your hand and shout "I coulda had a V-8!", and download privileges will be yours.

And if that doesn't work, just ask Warrior or evil_genius_180.

Glad I could be of help.

I am
Dawg

Visit:
LauretteSpang.com

Dirk Benedict Central

Tombs of Kobol

I no longer fight my inner demons. We're on the same side now.
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #14
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks for digging this thread up, balaoo. I was gonna look for one of these this morning but I was very tired and decided to do it later.

Anywho, I merged in the thread titled "How do I get download privileges?" thread because it was asking the same question. Any more threads like this will also be merged into this one.

And I also added the 5-post rule to the Important Information thingy on the downloads page. So hopefully people will see that and there won't be further confusion.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #15
Stoned_Dragon

Default Handy to know.

Ok, well thats handy to know, though perhaps if this 5 post rule where to be added under the new registants post it would leave alot less questions for new people like myself.
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #16
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I thought it was on there. Or maybe it was when I joined but it's not anymore.

There used to be warnings in the old downloads section every time you went to a category page about the 5-post thing. Maybe, once Warrior is done rebuilding that section, there will be again.
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #17
bthree78
Novice

This is a great thread for us noobs here. . .
bthree78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #18
Fretslayer

'...Otherwise, it would be like going to someone's apartment and raiding their fridge without them knowing. You want a sandwich, fine. But at least leave a note or a couple of dollars for bread... '

ROFL!
That's awesome man.

I've not heard it put like that before but it works and it's pretty funny to boot.
:laugh:

I've got to say this - When I first came to this site I was in need of a mesh for an animation I was putting together. I saw the '5 post rule' and thought 'Oh, great...I have to make small talk...' - But as you can see by my number of posts I continuted to come back (sorry about that - LOL!) and I've found the people around here to be creative, intelligent, and quite funny.

Looking back upon it now, I'm glad this site has the 5 post rule.

I've just noticed that I cannot download from the site. When I try I get the following 'error message':

Slow Down! You are trying to download files too quickly. You must wait 58 seconds before you may download another file.

The problem is that when this message appears, I'm not downloading anything.
I'm getting the same message in both IE and FF browsers.
Any ideas?

Last edited by Fretslayer; April 17th, 2008 at 09:12 AM..
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #19
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Hmmmm.... That's odd. Starship tried uploading a mesh the other day and got a nonsensical message also. The two could be related. We might have a glitch running around in the downloads.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #20
Fretslayer

I hope we can get it figured out.
This is my goto site for SciFi meshes.

I just checked over at the CF site and I can download from them.
This suggests to me that the issue is probably not a firewall/cookie related problem on my end. I hope that comes as some sort of help in troubleshooting the issue.

Last edited by Fretslayer; April 17th, 2008 at 12:49 PM..
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #21
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I just tried downloading a file and it worked fine, though that might not tell us anything. We need someone else who's not an Administrator to try and see if they have the same problem as Fretslayer.

@Fretslayer: I noticed on the Admin CP that it says you downloaded a bunch of stuff earlier today (Apr. 17.) Did you have that issue with all of those downloads?
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #22
Fretslayer

@ Evil Genius (insert manical laughter here)

I tried to download a few things but I got that error 100% of the time - the only difference is that it would change the 'wait A$ number of seconds before trying again.'

I was unable to download a single mesh.

I know I tried to download a couple after the initial failure but each one ended with the same result (error message). I thought perhaps my trackball was acting strange and sending too many 'clicks' on the download button so I moused over the button and hit the 'Enter' key - the results were the same.

I went to CF (since it has a connection to this site) and did a download test and I was able to download a test mesh.

I've tried downloading with both IE and Firefox, both with the same results.

How many files does it show me downloading?
As I said, I got zero downloads - but if it showed something like...say... 4 - 6 then that would be an accurate reflection of the number of different attempts I made, but if the number is something insane (20+) then I would not consider that number to be an accurate gauge.

I've downloaded a lot of meshes from this site over the time I've been around here and I've not encountered this issue before. If you need any system specific info from me, let me know - I'd like to help resolve the issuse (partly out of curosity and largely because this is where I get my sciFi mesh fix!)
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #23
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
@ Evil Genius (insert manical laughter here)

I tried to download a few things but I got that error 100% of the time - the only difference is that it would change the 'wait A$ number of seconds before trying again.'

I was unable to download a single mesh.

I know I tried to download a couple after the initial failure but each one ended with the same result (error message). I thought perhaps my trackball was acting strange and sending too many 'clicks' on the download button so I moused over the button and hit the 'Enter' key - the results were the same.

I've tried downloading with both IE and Firefox, both with the same results.

How many files does it show me downloading?
As I said, I got zero downloads - but if it showed something like...say... 4 - 6 then that would be an accurate reflection of the number of different attempts I made, but if the number is something insane (20+) then I would not consider that number to be an accurate gauge.

I've downloaded a lot of meshes from this site over the time I've been around here and I've not encountered this issue before. If you need any system specific info from me, let me know - I'd like to help resolve the issuse (partly out of curosity and largely because this is where I get my sciFi mesh fix!)
Damn. I was afraid of that. That means it's impossible to tell from the Admin CP if people are having trouble. Apparently, it registers even failed attempts as a download. It shows you downloaded about 8 meshes yesterday but you got none. That's bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer
I went to CF (since it has a connection to this site) and did a download test and I was able to download a test mesh.
That definitely rules out a server error, since Warrior's sites are on the same server. Sounds like he might have to take a look at the code for the downloads section for this site.
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #24
Fretslayer

I'll try and do a download with one of my other computers and I'll try with a mouse on this one (that should 100% rule out any issue with my trackball and the left click button being a bit twitchy).

At this point, it could be a little bit of both my trackball and maybe a download scipt here.
Thanks for helping me with this.
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #25
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

@Fretslayer: Have you tried clearing your cookies? I know it doesn't seem like much, but it might help, especially if you have an old cookie that's causing this. If you haven't done so, please clear your cookies (at least for this site) and try downloading again.
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #26
Fretslayer

@ Evil Genius - I cleaned the cookies in both browsers.
When I logged in with IE I got the 'welcome, redirect' screen instantly followed by the 'hold on too many downloads' error message.

When I logged in with FF I did not get that error message until I tried to download a mesh, then I got it again.

I tried to download Phase II-Refit Constitution Class (tS) (4.24 MB) one time (with FF).

I'm sort of wondering if the problem is just something odd on my end because I seem to be the only person with this issue...or at least the only one to make mention of it so far.

-this is the part where I scratch my head and open up a beer.-
LOL!
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #27
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

There are limits on how many downloads can be made in a period of time, ie 6 per day type of thing.
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #28
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

..hmmm Current setting is unlimited for daily amount, BUT there is a 60 second limit between downloads.
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #29
Fretslayer

Just so I can follow this...

Warrior, are you suggesting that I've made too many attempts at downloading in the last 24 hours and that even though I've resolved the possible 'bad cookie' issue I'm still past my allowed number of downloads?

Because if that's not the case then I think something else might be buggerd up as it's been at least a month (give or take) since the last time I downloaded anything from this site.

I can see that bad cookie thing being a problem though... I do wonder why (or how) it could have effected two different browsers though. Perhaps they both store their cookies in the same jar?

I'm getting that 60 second 'too many downloads' message on my first download attempt. It's like something is reading (or perhaps sending) my single mouse click as multiple clicks. It's acting like I'm trying to do multiple downloads with a single click.

Hmmm....
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #30
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

By the way, this download script is totally different that CF's.

3DG is using the latest vBulletin, of which the original download script will NOT work. CF uses an older vB, thus the original script still works.

I *am* trying to create my own script that works with the latest vB but has all the functions of the original script. The current doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the original.