Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old January 30th, 2001, 01:39 PM   #1
FAdmMinosh

Default U.S.S. Alexander - Part One

Welcome to the U.S.S. Alexander installment one. Well as some of you remember my first ever model was of a Daedalus class and if you remember it was defiantly in need of help (it wasn't even textured ). But anyhoo I've started a new project, and in this project I'm going to attempt to follow the Alexander name up through the ST timeline. So I decided that the first ship to bear the name Alexander would be a Daedalus Class. Well this caused me to go back to my first model and well...weep. So started the ground up building of my Daedalus. This time I used the best reference material I could find and I think this is pretty accurate (well, it's not too bad ) So here it is, the U.S.S. Alexander - Part One...

------------------
A man's reach should exceed his grasp, for what else are the stars for.

A 3-D Gladiator
<A HREF="http://www.3dgladiators.net/" TARGET=_blank>
3D Gladiators, modeling the TOS world</A>

Visit the FAM Site!
Old January 31st, 2001, 12:41 AM   #2
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

I like it. Nice work.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2001, 06:35 AM   #3
Masao

My only problem is the transition from the cylindrical part of the secondary hull to the part where it narrow down to the deflector. There should be a sharp break there. I don't know whether this is just a trick of the lighting.

About the font. I think for this ship Greg Jein and the encyclopedia used Microgramma Bold Extended rather than the US Navy font. Also, some of the "strengthening bands" on the hull and nacelles go over rather than under the markings, I think.
Old February 1st, 2001, 03:22 PM   #4
FAdmMinosh

Thanks for the compliment Skyhawk

Now on the the model, about the the secondary hull. That's a trick of the lighting and texture. When I have it under the really bright light (100%) it's very sharp. About the Microgrmma Bold Extended font, well I didn't use it because I don't have it. I actually used AmarilloUSAF font (it's the best I've got). As for the strengthening bands, execpt for the double large bands on the neacells, the markings go over the bands, which you can see if you look closely at this pic...

Keep the comments coming!

------------------
A man's reach should exceed his grasp, for what else are the stars for.

A 3-D Gladiator
<A HREF="http://www.3dgladiators.net/" TARGET=_blank>
3D Gladiators, modeling the TOS world</A>

Visit the FAM Site!