Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old June 18th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #1
jf3000
Shuttle Pilot

Default Star Trek vs Star Wars

This was posted on the spacebattles forum, just had to post it here, very funny :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxhr...ar%20destroyer

http://www.jf3000.com

Last edited by evil_genius_180; June 18th, 2006 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Fixed the link
jf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Don't wrap your links in code tags, otherwise it won't come up as a link. I, for one, want to be lazy and just click rather than having to copy and paste. Either use url tags or just type/paste it and it will do it on its own.

I fixed it for you. This time.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #3
jf3000
Shuttle Pilot

Sorry about that, Ive always wrapped links in code tags, ok will do from now on.

Old June 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

'S not really a problem. I don't have much else to do right now anyway.
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #5
jf3000
Shuttle Pilot

grrrrrrrrrrrrr stoopid export thing, man that annoys me, still doesnt work, whom ever invented blender should of wrote a manual for noobs.

Old July 4th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #6
armike6

Ok...so this is Star Trek vs. Star Wars....which do you prefer? Star Trek for me.
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Cool. Let's start a fanboy discussion!! (I like this because I'm a fanboy also.) I think that they are pretty well matched. Trek has the advantages of being 40 years old where Wars is about to turn 30. Plus, there's more Trek out there, but what George has done with Wars is spectacular. I know a lot of non-scifi fans that at least love Wars, my mom for one. And, where the weapons are bigger and they have better engines and lightsabers in Wars, Trek has the advantage of happening close to home and is a little more believable (reasonably so.) So, it's definitely a tie for me.
Old July 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #8
armike6

I guess I lean towards ST because I remember sitting in front of the TV waiting for the first episode (man, that seems like a long time ago) and never missed it. I think it was either while I was serving in Germany, or just after I came back, that I saw Star Wars, I don't remember the year it firts came out, and I thought the special effects were very cool (of course, they had a little more money to work with).
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #9
nyrath

COOL

Star Wars vs Star Trek?
The argument rages on.
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/
especially
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/...veMinutes.html
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #10
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

And your views are??
Old July 5th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #11
nyrath

I find the argument outlined in the last link to be compelling.
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #12
armike6

I've never thought there was any argument...they are two diffrent things. ST was a weekly show, no big budget, but plenty of writting talent. SW had one script and put their money into the special effects. Both were Class A for the times.
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #13
nyrath

COOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by armike6
I've never thought there was any argument...they are two diffrent things.
Ah, but behold the wonder of the internet, where the age old argument of "my dad can beat up your dad" takes new and different forms.
The Stardestroyer net has an entire forum devoted to the Trek vs Star Wars argument.
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #14
armike6

Interesting...but doesn't change anything...it's till comparing apples to oranges.
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #15
pgtyner
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: Star Trek vs Star Wars

For me it was Star Wars! Yes, I am a fan of the Star Trek series and movies. But there was something about the first Star Wars movie that made me feel that maybe I was born in the wrong time. It invited you to believe that our lives might have some bigger purpose than what we might see in our regular daily stuff. (By the way, at 35 I became a missionary to the Ukraine....learned Russian....and life was different than the typical stuff)
pgtyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #16
crimsonghost13

Star Wars all the way for me, in fact i'm watching episode 4 right now.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #17
LordTyphon

Basically if you think about it Star Wars is technically more advanced then Star Trek in a few ways and vice versa. Here are some tech differences to take in to account. On a side note, I'm a member of the 501st, and we tend to talk about this alot.

FTL Tech
Hyperspace is faster then Warp speeds. This was proven in a old Dragon Magazine that went in to depth about it (don't ask me the magazine number, I don't recall). Basically you can get someplace 5 times faster with a SW 2x Class Hyperspace engine then traveling there at Warp 9.

Shield Technology.
Star Trek is more advanced as there sheilds do not flicker around a ship, but rather form a bubble around the ship. This is why Star Wars ships sometimes recive damage in battles. A good example is right in New Hope, with the first battle, and the one where the Falcon escapes. Sources: Star Wars RPG, West End games verision (tech notes in there where made offical years ago), and the Star Trek Tech manuals.

Weapons Technology
These are about evenly matched. While Star Trek Phaser technology is better, as the ship doesn't have to worry about turrets for aiming. Star Wars weapons can deal more damange or with ION weapons disable a ship without damaging it. Torpedo/Missile technologies are about even, but Star Trek has a slight edge as there weapons blast yeilds and radiuses are variable, while Star Wars ones are not.

[B]Other technologies[B/]
Transporter technology is something Star Wars does not have, and could be a major advantage by the Star Trek universe if used as a weapon. A example of this is form a ep of Voyager where there crew transported a proton torpedo in to a Borg vessel.

Small fighters, and self fighting probes/driods however Star Wars has a larger advantage in this area, as other then shuttles you hardly ever see or heard of anything like a starfighter in the Star Trek universe. Thus ships that carry wings (72 fighters) in the Star Wars universe would be at a huge advantage in that regard.

Overall opinion
In my opinion the Star Wars universe ships could beat Star Trek ships easily, due to tactics used and the use of star fighters. Also if you think about it, the only force in the Star Trek universe (if we go by the primary quardent used in that universe) that might give them trouble would be either the Klingons, or the Romulans. The former as they are warriors, and live for war, while the latter because of there superior cloacking technology.

However if we just say do a fleet to fleet battler, then Star Trek might win, as it could use probes and torpedos like mines to help keep the starfighters busy.

All in all you can see that this is a hard call to make, mostly due to the differences in fighting tactics and technology. My section of the 501st decided it's best to just say this. "If it happens, will find out then, till then it doesn't matter to us as we have better things to do then endless debates."
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #18
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Here's the thing: 6 TV series, 10 movies, and way more books than Star Wars has VS. 6 movies and some books. Star Trek definitely wins. The only edge that Star Wars has is that it has more video games (some of them are even good.)
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #19
LordTyphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
Here's the thing: 6 TV series, 10 movies, and way more books than Star Wars has VS. 6 movies and some books. Star Trek definitely wins. The only edge that Star Wars has is that it has more video games (some of them are even good.)
True, but when it comes to talk about this, I tend to look at the hard tech and facts, and ignore the number of books, TV series, movies and such. But if your going to note those things, I would say Star Wars wins, as out of all the fanboy clubs here is a simple fact.

Star Trek ones - None accepted in to the official Cannon universe, as such anything they say or do is very unlikely to become cannon.

Star Wars ones - 501st accepted and made official part of the cannon universe as of the 30th anniversary of Star Wars. As such ship designs like the one shown in the first episode of I.M.P.S. located here http://www.impstherelentless.com/ which are done by 501st members, are more likely to become cannon.

That alone has to say which has a better chance in the long run. This is also why I tend to ignore movie, book, or what ever when it comes to a vs thing. As fandom vs fandom tends to be unending, while universe vs universe might be more debateable as it tends to look more at technology and such then who has the larger merchandise count. So for me, I'd rather look at how everything is set up, then just merchandise.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #20
crimsonghost13

@LordTyphon
That is very true about those being made part of the universe, good point. I my self am also part of the 501st aswell.

I lean toward Star Wars but I am biased, i still watch Star Trek some but it was something i could never really get into. Both have there ups and downs.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #21
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

My last post was actually meant as a joke. :laugh: Truth be told, I like Star Trek and Star Wars equally, though I was exposed to Star Wars at a younger age and have been a fan since day 1. I've also been a fan of Trek since day 1, it was just a later day.

However, you have a great point there. I never liked the fact that the Trek books aren't canon (though, if they were, the original 5 years Kirk was in command would have to be more like 50 years. ) Plus, some people mess stuff up when they write them, they write stuff that goes against established canon. (which ticks me off to no end) That comes from the fact that the books and TV shows/movies/video games all being separate companies.

George Lucas is smart and keeps all his stuff in house so he can keep control on the whole thing.
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #22
Fretslayer

I'd like to take part in this debate, but I think I'm going go to talk to an actual living girl instead. LOL!

Ok, joke aside - IMO it's an exercise in futility. It's like saying Godzilla can beat up King Kong.

I appreciate both for being what they are - stories that take place in different dimensions.

For me, the real question is would Mau'd Dib allow such a thing to take place.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #23
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
Ok, joke aside - IMO it's an exercise in futility. It's like saying Godzilla can beat up King Kong.
He can!! That fight was rigged. (for one thing, King Kong was about 6X his normal size.)
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #24
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
He can!! That fight was rigged. (for one thing, King Kong was about 6X his normal size.)
Well, everybody knows Kong was on the juice. That monkey had roid rage.
There is no other way to explain it.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #25
equack

ST would definately best them in space, c'mon phasers, photon torpedoes, and the warp drive. SW doesn't have that, at best, the only thing better with SW is the land combat with light sabers.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #26
gmd3d
Admin

I'd go with equack on this .. I have seen the on many sites ..

I think Phaser and Torps out perform the Star Wars weapons .. save for the lightsaber .
which is in a class of it own.

Not sure about the difference between Warp Speeds and Hyperspace....

Han pointed out the he has been from one side of the galaxy to the other ...
in trek that only possible through wormholes ??..

question .. could the hyperspace drives open wormholes ??

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #27
Fretslayer

Han also was a 'spice smuggler'.

Spice is the most valuable thing in the universe. It extends life, expands the mind and allows the spacing guild to fold space.

I wonder if Han was bragging after he sampled a bit of his cargo.
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #28
gmd3d
Admin

sniffing to much spice's ayy ..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #29
Fretslayer

I don't know... Han always did seem a bit shifty to me.
Now that I think about it... I think he may have been huffin the spice.

It explains a lot now that I think about it.
LOL!
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:45 AM   #30
aussiet

Star trek wins for me