Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Skelch
Shuttle Pilot

COOL Newly back here

:cylon: I hope to come back to 3D Gladiators after a very long hiatus. It has been so long I could not remember my login or password, even if the were active. Alas I have tried to come back before and found it difficult. Life keeps getting in my way.

Not to mention the fact that I usualy go to forums where I work during breaks and such. Not as much time for me to read forums at home. Truth is I get distracted by playing games and using 3D programs at home.

I think 'they' found out I was taking time to have fun at work and blocked the forums few years ago. This alone was my biggest blow to not getting on the forums. I then took a newer position (at the same work place) and now I am actually required to work! I know it is shocking.

Well here is a stabb at returning! No one here probably remembers me, and that is fine. I can only say this is not a promise I am returning, but posting of HOPE that I will be back.

Anyway the place looks fantastic, my art work still sucks, but I sure do enjoy looking at the wonderful things you guys do around here.

Thanks for listening.

P.S.
Warrior it's Roy from Tennessee!
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Welcome back .. I don't know you but Welcome al the same

Lets see some art. my stuff needs a lot of work too..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Um, welcome back (even if you're not back)
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #4
morganzacd5p

I think I need a map for this conversation.
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Nurbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelch
:cylon: I hope to come back to 3D Gladiators after a very long hiatus. It has been so long I could not remember my login or password, even if the were active. Alas I have tried to come back before and found it difficult. Life keeps getting in my way.

Not to mention the fact that I usualy go to forums where I work during breaks and such. Not as much time for me to read forums at home. Truth is I get distracted by playing games and using 3D programs at home.

I think 'they' found out I was taking time to have fun at work and blocked the forums few years ago. This alone was my biggest blow to not getting on the forums. I then took a newer position (at the same work place) and now I am actually required to work! I know it is shocking.

Well here is a stabb at returning! No one here probably remembers me, and that is fine. I can only say this is not a promise I am returning, but posting of HOPE that I will be back.

Anyway the place looks fantastic, my art work still sucks, but I sure do enjoy looking at the wonderful things you guys do around here.

Thanks for listening.

P.S.
Warrior it's Roy from Tennessee!
Hiya Skelch!

Don't feel too badly there, chum. I registered here in 2002/2003 and just posted to this forum a few moments ago. How's that for being lax?

Art is art. Don't worry about the 'I suck' factor, we all improve with time. I'm there as well, even though I have been doodling with cg since the release of Vue3D for the Timex/Sinclair 2068. (circa 1983)

"but I sure do enjoy looking at the wonderful things you guys do around here." Yeah, me too.
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Skelch
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks all. The improvement over time thing well I don't know about that but I do enjoy messing with poser and such.
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #7
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Default Re: Newly back here

Hey Roy... did I see you online yesterday?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Skelch
Shuttle Pilot

Yes you did I am still here lurking around, I don't post much as I don't even do anymore 3d stuff, because I suck. I still love to lurk around and be in awe of what you guys do around here. I like to go to the gallery and download sections to see what you guys have created.

I do more cartoon drawings now, political and office humor, but I am still an avid Sci-fi Star Trek fan.

I downloaded your TOS Shuttle yesterday and came very close to installing lightwave 5.6 again, I know I am way behind in product. I ended up not even doing anything with it.

I want to be able to create some fantastic scene so bad, but then I always rememeber how much I suck.

I try to read tutorials and such but as soon as I see words like 'vertices' and 'triangles' I blackout. :laugh:

I have spent a great deal of time playing with the video game "The Movies" the modders have done some fantastic stuff with it. They have even gotten some Star Trek Next Gen ships and costumes into the game.

At one time the 3dgladiators website was blocked from work, it appears to be working again for now, which I am glad to see.

Ever lurking , I just don't always sign in as I don't feel I have much to add to the artists you have here.

Peace

Roy Aka Skelch
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

....hmmm Maybe Taranis can point you in the right direction for composing scenes, as I know he's done a LOT of tutorial reading for that.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #10
gmd3d
Admin

lighting is the key .. and good lighting can make a good scene look great.. I no where near others work.

the basic lighting set up you have 3 lights around your model.
you can have more if you want.. depending what your rendering..

It been a while since I last really rendered a pic .. my star wars (Pick up) one had a large number of lights .. even under the falcon ..

render and post something .. if I can suggest something .. I will

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old May 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Another thing to remember is camera angles and catching "action" in a still image. You should render some of the meshes you've downloaded in a scene or two and post a WIP thread with the results, no matter if you think it sucks or not. That way, some of the big brains around here can drop some hints and suggestions.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #12
Skelch
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks all I need to dust off some of my 3d software and do just that. The next few days are quite busy, and my son is having Surgery the first of next week.

I think I will try to stab at it latter next week, after the surgery is over and my son is feeling better.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #13
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Oh my... lookie what I found still on the server

http://www.3dgladiators.net/warrior/roys01.htm
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #14
gmd3d
Admin

Look forward to seen your work .. it take me a few days of setting up to ensure I have the look I want .. but looking for the perfect scene at the expanse of your Art I think is the wrong way to go.. unless your working for a TV SHOW or something ....
as eg180 said .. have some good camera angle of action .. a sence of transition of going or doing something.

like the pictures Warrior posted .. cool I esp like the second one .. nothing wrong with that lighting ..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old May 30th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #15
gmd3d
Admin

I hope you don't mind I had a bit of fun with that second image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roysmccoy.jpg (290.2 KB, 12 views)

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM   #16
Skelch
Shuttle Pilot

WOW I can not believe you still have these out there. That is fantastic. Taranis, I love what you did to that old forgotten render!
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #17
gmd3d
Admin

No problem .. I love atmospheres been added to images .. I would like to do some more with character 3d .. but I don't have time ..

good to have you back

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs