Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old April 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM   #31
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: A leap into the future? - The Wolf Class

good point EG180 ... .. If and I mean if I where you I would drop 1/4 of the top (or so) and where your Hull Panels are add portholes and move your Hull Panels Down just over the Door

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM   #32
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Ok, had a play around with the hatch size... the one on the left hand side is the old one...

Not added anymore detail to it yet, in case I change it again!

Any better?

Last edited by jayru; April 1st, 2009 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: because i forgot something...
jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM   #33
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I still keep thinking of that shot from the beginning of "The Child" (TNG season 2 opener) where that FUGLY full-sized mock-up of the Type-7 shuttle (I accidentally said Type-6 earlier but I meant Type-7) is supposedly flying though the doors of shuttlebay 2 or 3 (I don't remember which it was) and just didn't look like it could possibly fit. So, even for "just landing shuttles," the bays on TNG seemed kinda smallish, except for the big bay on deck 3.

And, yes, that looks a lot better. The width is great but you might want to shave just a little more height off. You could always put some observation windows or something above it to fill the space.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM   #34
farshot

It looks much better.

And as for shuttles not fitting...
Just look at the whole Delta Flyer / Voyager thing.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...delta-size.htm
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM   #35
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
I still keep thinking of that shot from the beginning of "The Child" (TNG season 2 opener) where that FUGLY full-sized mock-up of the Type-7 shuttle (I accidentally said Type-6 earlier but I meant Type-7) is supposedly flying though the doors of shuttlebay 2 or 3 (I don't remember which it was) and just didn't look like it could possibly fit. So, even for "just landing shuttles," the bays on TNG seemed kinda smallish, except for the big bay on deck 3.

And, yes, that looks a lot better. The width is great but you might want to shave just a little more height off. You could always put some observation windows or something above it to fill the space.
I guess they were either being really cheap with the sets on TNG (which is probubly the truth of the mater) or they were showing that in the 24th century precision flying was more the norm...

The type 7 shuttle was a nice design - it's a shame they never managed to realise a proper full scale set of it for the cast to work against...

lol, the height of the new hatch is fine and dandy... and there will be more than enough room for some observation windows to go on the back end. The detail on the back was just me messing about - i've cleared it as I have a better idea of what to put there... but that's for another day ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farshot View Post
It looks much better.

And as for shuttles not fitting...
Just look at the whole Delta Flyer / Voyager thing.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...delta-size.htm
Yeah... knew about that problem... which is one of the reasons why i wanted to make sure they hanger door on this ship was big enough for something like that.
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:41 PM   #36
Lee
Completely FUBAR!

Looks pretty good Jay.

Support the Network: 3D Scifi | Framevoid | Scifi'ers Anonymous | Ejected Core |Wolf Den Productions
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM   #37
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayru View Post
The type 7 shuttle was a nice design - it's a shame they never managed to realise a proper full scale set of it for the cast to work against...
Yeah, I like the Type-7 miniature, it's that full sized mock-up that I hate.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:14 AM   #38
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Had anyone ever done a mesh of the Type 7? If not, it may be something I stick on my future projects list...
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM   #39
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I've never seen one. I know some people don't care for the design.
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #40
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Refined the deatils on the bay... also cut in where the window bay will be (when I get round to the windows - no idea why I leave them until the end...)

Comments always welcome.

Last update for a few days, doing a major overhaul on my PC... (making it a better machine )

More soon...
Old April 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #41
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I overhauled my PC back in October. I hauled the old one out and hauled the new one over into the dust void. Seriously, what kind of upgrades are we talking about? (sorry, I'm kinda a nerd like that)

The shuttlebay looks really good. The size looks pretty good and I'm loving the details so far. Though, if I was those 3 people, I'd seriously think about popping open the door and going inside before I ran out of air.
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #42
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180
I overhauled my PC back in October. I hauled the old one out and hauled the new one over into the dust void. Seriously, what kind of upgrades are we talking about? (sorry, I'm kinda a nerd like that)
Cleaned out the case (lots of dust), new graphics card, added some more memory, and gonna re-install XP, and install Vista 64 under a duel-boot - so i can make use of all the new memory I put in the machine, and make 3D Max go faster.

Ok, I'm not doing all that...

the other half is.

Benefit of living with an IT Support Analyst. I still believe that go faster stripes on the side would do the job just as well... :laugh:

Quote:
The shuttlebay looks really good. The size looks pretty good and I'm loving the details so far. Though, if I was those 3 people, I'd seriously think about popping open the door and going inside before I ran out of air.
I took a close look at them - their skin tone is way pale, nearly blue. I'm guessing they're holding there breath

On the other hand, the ship could be landed, (but given there colour they must still be holding there breath. It's difficult to tell, I never actually gave them faces...)
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #43
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I've thought of doing a dual-boot for my PC but so far I'm too lazy to download the XP drivers. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm on dialup internet and I'd have to manually find the drivers because I have an Acer and Acer's website is no friggin' help, despite that the line from which my computer originally came had XP on it. Of course, that was with slightly different hardware, which is why I can't even get the XP drivers from the page for the original line on Acer's website. (I love the computer, hate the company)
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #44
farshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayru View Post
I took a close look at them - their skin tone is way pale, nearly blue. I'm guessing they're holding there breath

On the other hand, the ship could be landed, (but given there colour they must still be holding there breath. It's difficult to tell, I never actually gave them faces...)
They could be on V'ger, looking at the background. That would account for the bluish color, too. :laugh:
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #45
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
I've thought of doing a dual-boot for my PC but so far I'm too lazy to download the XP drivers. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm on dialup internet and I'd have to manually find the drivers because I have an Acer and Acer's website is no friggin' help, despite that the line from which my computer originally came had XP on it. Of course, that was with slightly different hardware, which is why I can't even get the XP drivers from the page for the original line on Acer's website. (I love the computer, hate the company)
Apart from my first one, I don't buy off the shelf PC's -prefer to build them myself (something I am capible of, no matter what the other half says, lol). I get the specs I want then, most of the time at a better price

Biggest problem we've had so far is that it seems my motherboard is rigged only to use SATA drives, and we were going to put a PATA one in to hold the OS's - took 4 hours of jiggery pokery to work out that wasn't going to happen, (so like, what was the piont of putting an IDE cable solt on the board?). Thankfully we have a PCWorld not to far away, (to pick up a new SATA drive...). Hopefully I will finally be able to use all the memory we put into the machine last year (I didn't know that XP limited you to only being able to use 4gig ). Vista 64 has better upper ram limits (and so far things are looking good.

Sadly I've been banned from the study for making silly comments about PC installations, so am stuck on the laptop until when ever...

Hopefully the upshot of all this will be that I can use Max in a batter way, and get to work on doing some animated stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farshot View Post
They could be on V'ger, looking at the background. That would account for the bluish color, too. :laugh:
I love the background... was an accidental creation in PaintShopPro... no idea how to re-create it. Such is price for larking about and not paying attention :laugh:
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #46
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I was going to build a PC but I had money issues to consider. A refurbished PC was cheaper than building a new one, so I bought a refurbished Acer. I've added a gig of RAM (which is only a little over $10 for the kind I use) and the HD was crap (but one expects problems with a refurb) but other than that it runs great. I took advantage of the 160GB SATA drive dying and replaced it with a 320GB SATA. (which I was going to do at some point anyway) The only other parts I want to replace are the processor, it came with a single core and I want a dual, and the graphics card, which is an older Nvidia chipset. It probably costs more in the long run to buy a "simple" PC off the shelf and upgrade it but I can spread the cost out over a longer span of time. Which helps since my newest PC before this was from 2000, so none of the components were usable on a new rig. (except the IDE HD, which is only 2 years old, but it's only 80GB and I knew I wanted SATA.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayru
Biggest problem we've had so far is that it seems my motherboard is rigged only to use SATA drives
That's not a bad thing until your drive goes out and all you have is IDE drives to spare. Fortunately, when my SATA drive went out in my PC, I was able to hook up the 80GB IDE and install Vista on it as a temp measure, since I had to buy a new SATA drive (OEM, of course ) and wait for it to be shipped from New Egg. That's the good thing about my PC having an older motherboard, it has facilities for 2 SATA and 2 IDE devices, so it worked out.

Quote:
and we were going to put a PATA one in to hold the OS's - took 4 hours of jiggery pokery to work out that wasn't going to happen, (so like, what was the piont of putting an IDE cable solt on the board?). Thankfully we have a PCWorld not to far away, (to pick up a new SATA drive...).
Yeah, sounds like you were lucky to have a store so close that sells SATA, so you didn't have to wait for one to be shipped (assuming you could even access the internet without your PC.) Most stores charge too much for components for my taste, but when it's what you have available, it's what you do.

Quote:
Hopefully I will finally be able to use all the memory we put into the machine last year (I didn't know that XP limited you to only being able to use 4gig ). Vista 64 has better upper ram limits (and so far things are looking good.
Yeah, I don't know what Microsoft is thinking most of the time. What's up with Vista having the same RAM restrictions in its 32 bit OS as XP? That sucks. 10 years ago RAM didn't count for much, most games and apps only used 16 or 32 MB but, in the last 8 years or so, they've really started making a lot of programs that use loads of RAM so pretty soon that 4GB you can add to Vista 32 is going to be obsolete.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #47
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

I've been going down the whole refurbished PC root myself for many years (money being the primary reason - my income is - well, very low now I'm medically retired), but after the last one caught fire (which sucked big time...) I put my foot down and made it clear that only a new PC would do - and at least half the money in the savings account came from me. That being said, it wasn't all new. The processor was second hand, and one of the SATA drives had been knocking about in another PC for a while as well. For that matter, i think the graphics card was reclaimed from an older PC we had (you live with an IT person, you end up with lots of dead, or nearly dead PCs over the place. Drives me nuts half the time... until you need a spair part, the it's ok, lol).

We live out in the sticks, but Nottingham and Derby aren't too far away by car... and there are pleanty of PC places around in this area. Strangly enough one of the PCWorlds near us only sells SATA drives, so getting them has never been an issue. Motehrboards that can use them is another matter, lol...

We had to give up on the whole duel boot jobbie... wasn't as practical as we first thought. Turns out everything I have works fine in Vista 64 (including Max 9 - after applying both service packs to it).

So single boot with Vista 64 only... and things seem pretty stable so far. In fact, I'm pretty much back up and running as of today... which means updates at some point, lol
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #48
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The funny thing is, you have just as much a chance of a new PC having a problem as you do with a refurb. (why do you think it was refurbished to begin with?) In fact, you have more of a chance of success with a refurb, IMO. When a company like Acer gets a machine back (even if it's an open box thing) they re-certify every component. So, in essence, you get everything double checked. The problem with my 160GB SATA HD was one that you had to be using it a while (about 3 weeks) for it to happen. So, there was no way they could have known in the factory that it was an issue. Though, it was happening more frequently before I replaced it.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #49
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

LOL, I quite agree - and again, that was my argument for many years that at least with a refurb you knew everything had been tested and the like.

However, once I married an IT bod I didn't get much say in this stuff - after all "they" are the expert... (*rolls eyes*)

Touch wood, I've never had a problem with a SATA drive, and I've been using them for a number of years. My problems always tend to be the motherboard - or the power supply (which is how the fire got started).
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM   #50
deadliness

where do I find this Voyager of the first images?

The Wolf Class will have a version for poser?

Can i do a spaceship inspired in your desing?

Last edited by evil_genius_180; May 3rd, 2009 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: There's no good reason to post 3 times in a row to ask 3 questions when you can accomplish that in 1 post.
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #51
jayru
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliness View Post
where do I find this Voyager of the first images?

The Wolf Class will have a version for poser?

Can i do a spaceship inspired in your desing?
You'll find the "Voyager" mesh on the following site, it's the "Flat Eric" version > The Star Trek Meshes and Objects collection

The Wolf is being built in Max9 - I have no way to convert it to any other version/file type at the moment (and that's kind of way in the future).

As the Wolf is inspired by Star Trek, and the small dust buster I had, I can hardly say no to your final request. Although I would be obliged if it was different enough that I don't see the Wolf when I see your design. Can't say fairer than that really.

Last edited by jayru; July 16th, 2009 at 09:24 AM..
jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #52
martok2112
Shuttle Pilot

VERY NICE! I like its derivative take on the Intrepid class. Looks like a refit. Well done!