Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old July 18th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #1
plum

COOL Plums UV texture mapping for ... tribbles...

OK, I'm the brainless tribble... who can't get his head around that weird ass 'UV texture mapping' program in Maya 4.

I need Maya UV texturing for tribbles. At least people as brainless as one. Like me!

I've been trying to get the ships hull (all one object so it's complicated) shaded with a TIF graphic. But the Texture commands and the UV Tex Editor is confusing me!

... as you can see...

Nice wrapping eh? Candy starship... we serve the galaxy.. ice cream!

Help? ;p

I modeled up this nice little ringship (Rommie War Star Trek design... I call it a 'Corvette' class), but I am a complete newbie at texture mapping and can't figure out the basics.

I select the main hull bit/ It's the bit that's now blue with red stripes. Which was my first test texture TIF file. I know, that shape is complicated... I'm a tribble!

My texture is a 635X...er,(something) pixel graphic. I took a screenshot of the UV texture map screen and created the graphic (a TIF file on Photoshop) to match up with the displayed 'faces' in there. This was using the 'Auto mapping' command in Edit Polys>Textures ...

but the UV Tex Editor repeats it into all four quadrants and wraps the graphic on the model... not like I asked it too. It's weird.

Hey... I've read three tutorials so far and still have weird results and can't get my head around moving UVs... which I don't get.

Problem 1. - why is my texture split into 4 quadrants in the UV Tex Editor? How can I just get one flat representation of the ships faces and then make a matching graphic? In spite of blurring... just wondering.

Problem 2. the Auto Mapping gives a flat UV display of my ships hull in 'faces' in the UV texture map. But it's 'projected' a bit. Isn't there a way to get the faces separated and flat in one display in the UV tex Editor? Then I cold just cut up my graphic in Photoshop to match. I'm a wis with the Photshop and I'm keen to make some kewl shaders... skins... meshes. What are they?

... or am I waaaay off! Any tips welcome.
Old July 19th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #2
Commodore-SirJohn
Larger than the
average starship
captain

Hmm... You might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.subspacebbs.com/forums/sh...threadid=16226

We did a bit of work with that type of warp drive system in part of the backstory, which became a major work in and of itself...

Unfortunately, I can't help with your texturing problem. Even though I use Lightwave, I'm just as much of a tribble at it as you are. Not even some tutorials from the great Mojo could help me much...

Last edited by Commodore-SirJohn; July 19th, 2003 at 09:37 PM..
Commodore-SirJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 06:07 PM   #3
plum

rats... but thanx! ;p I wonder is there ARE many Maya users on this forum?