Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 5th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

Default Revisiting an old friend

Hey all

Over the past year i have slowly been returning to 3D and to help me along, i have been working on an old mesh I used to use back in the late 90's and early 2000.

This is Eric Petersons Enterprise -A, with his permission I am updating the model and smoothing out some of it's rough edges. I've used this mesh for a lot of things in the past and I didn't feel like leaving it behind. So to help me get back in the saddle, Ive made it my pet project. I've already learned how to make grass, something I have never tried to do

Thus far i have upgraded the windows and texturing on the neck and photon tube area of the ship. I have also updated the garden windows on the lower half of the secondary hull. Replacing the basic garden interior with something a little more realistic. Bare in mind, that this mesh was made originally in or around 1995-96. Hopefully after her "refit" she will be hold her own in high resolution renders.

www.startrekart.com
Raptornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Revisiting an old friend

I think most people who started on CGI back in the day used that mesh. I know I did.

For its age, it's looking really good. In fact, I've never seen that mesh look better.
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

Many thanks, the lighting and some of the texturing was done by myself in the late 90's. Which has caused me a few headaches, as they are all in IFF Amiga format. It it still early days yet, aside from the garden, I have not really touched the secondary hull.

My plan is to smooth out the mesh and add detailing to area's that where otherwise very plain. This can be seen, by the two docking ports. The lower one is an original, the upper is one i installed, with a hand drawn texture map, tho i still need to add a bump map :P

I've not been active on any forums for a long time. I moved from Scifi-art.com to Gladiator3d when it was first created, I think WarriorDL invited me over.

www.startrekart.com
Raptornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

Quote:
Which has caused me a few headaches, as they are all in IFF Amiga format.
IFF wow that brings me back.

Look forward to seeing the finished ship.
Old June 6th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Tenement
3DG Forum Moderator

I think I've got an untextured version of that mesh on my computer and I think it was my very first Star Trek mesh back in 2000 or some time around then.
Tenement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It was one of the first meshes I ever downloaded as well, around the same time. It's still available on at least one website,