Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

QUESTION Star Wars Ep III

Who's seen it, and what did you think of it?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #2
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

I just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was easily the best of the prequels.

There are a few parts (very few) that seemed a bit corny, but overall, it's the darkest of the films - it has to be, when you consider all the horrible things that have to happen in it.

And most importantly, it does a pretty good job of tying into episodes 4 thru 6.

Script-wise, there was a lot of dialog that I would have changed, but I have to say it was still a damned good flick.
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #3
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

I saw it at 9:00am in the morning. It was great. How Anakin turned over to the dark side I thought was a bit quick and the ending was like they were trying to tie up loose ends, which I didn't particularly like, but apart from that, it was quite good, I may watch it again before it disappears from the screen.
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Spoiler
Vader is a clone!

Just kidding.
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #5
dfalconet

I have not seen the movie but I did get to see a pre-show. People camped out on the sidewalks of Main St. in Bishop, Calif. of all places, just waiting for StarWars III to open. That was a show all it's own.

I have lived here since 1954 and have NEVER see a sight like that in this area. Publicity for this movie really did it's job!
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #6
Proximo

I'm getting more than a little hyped up about this. If I get the chance, I'll see it this weekend. Or perhaps monday... I just hope I don't have to stand in a huge queue to get there.

Is it true that Vader is Luke's father?
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #7
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Spoiler
Yoda is Anikins father, while The Emperor is the Vader clones poppa!
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #8
moovok

Spoiler
Palpatine kills Mace Windu. You shouldn't read all spoilers thinking they're not :P
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #9
Titon
Colonial Fleets

Haven't seen it yet.

One of my employees and i almost hit the noon showing today but i guess we had to work.

hehe
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:46 PM   #10
p.s. Cargile
Master Pilot

The worst part of EpIII is the existance of Ep 4, 5, and 6. The original trilogy is the ultimate spoiler.
I loved the hell out it. I especially loved Obi-wan's using Anakin's impatience and lust for vengence to defeat him. Obi-wan even had the decency to warn him.
p.s. Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:21 PM   #11
moovok

I was reading the script for it, they cut out two important scenes which I think would have been good to show the progression of Anakin turning to the dark side and the whole Qui-Jon storyline that just popped up at the end.

Jar-Jar (his only speaking part), Palpatine and Anakin are talking. Jar Jar says hello, but that's it, but Palpatine says that Obi-Wan shouldn't go on the mission because it's rumoured he fancies a Senate, a FEMALE Senate, which gives Anakin suspicions of Obi-Wan and Padme cause next he has the dream with Obi-Wan above Padme.

Also, Yoda is contacted by Qui-Jon, voice over only, and it's there we learn that the force can be harnessed beyond death...
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Proximo

Well I've seen it now. I didn't care for the political editorialising that Lucas seemed determined to stick in... "Oh, democracy! Democracy is dead! Waaa! I hate the republicans! I mean, I hate the empire!" That said, it was a bloody good film. Almost on a par with the originals. A bit rough in places, a bit unbalanced, probably due to timing cuts, but very, very good.

I didn't have any empathy for Padmé though. None at all. Somehow she just wasn't interesting.
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #13
SeanP
Master Pilot

I saw it yesterday afternoon.
Overall it was a great movie.
The big battle scene at the beginning was incredible.
I was sitting there saying to myself "holy sh*t which part do I watch" because there was so much going on on the screen.
You could watch the battle scene 20 times and still not see everything.
I thought that Anakin's transition to the dark side was a little quick as well.
One thing is for sure the light sabre battles in the prequils are a million times better than the battles in the original trilogy.
I watched part of A New Hope the other night on TV and I saw the battle between Obi Wan and Darth Vader in the hanger of the death star and I thought "What a frickin' joke."
It looked really really really bad.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #14
Proximo

Perhaps they were out of practice.
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #15
Ryoken3D

Wouldn't have taken much skill or fancy moves to take down a stormie with a saber.. They just got old and slow

I just saw it, I though it was great, and didn't find it too overly political, given we knew before hand that the senate was gonna vote themselves into irrilvence ..

Can't wait for I/II/III DVD Box set

Ryoken
Old June 4th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #16
p.s. Cargile
Master Pilot

As far as political inspiration, I always thought it followed the Roman Empire. GL says in many of the documentaries that the Veitnam War was an influence, at least in the area of agrians defeating technilogicals. The backstory of the fall of the Republic was crafted during the writing stages of the first movie so I doubt current events were much of an influence. We can draw parallels, but I think they are coincidental.
p.s. Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #17
choochst

i thought it was the best of ALL of them except EMPIRE, i mean,you can't compare the characters, these movies are backstory fillers, the interactions and personalities ofn the originals are the best bar none, but as far as if you take this flick and look at it on it's own merits, not as so much "comparison"to the rest, the pace, style, action, darkness, and effects blew me away.

and FINALLY! some lightsaber duels that did not take over an hour because everyon e was so damned skilled! LOL!

the characters in these prequals were written poorly, wooden, lacking of personality, natalie portman had to struggle to make Padme someone we will miss, and jar jar...did he even HAVE to drop him in, even for one quick scene?
Old June 5th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #18
Sitting Duck

Well if it wouldn't have been for that fantastic lightsaber duell between Obi-wan and Anakin I would have been more dissapointed. Padme's role was degraded to that of worried housewife and some of the flat attempts of humor just didn't fit. Episodes 1-3 live from pure action and special effects but they dearly miss the charm and heart of episodes 4-5 which I grew up with. Nevertheless episode 3 completes the story and is a must have seen.
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #19
jbroneske

Jar Jar is the lamest Star Wars character ever. I was hoping he wouldn't be in this episode, as they only had him in AOC briefly and to make him a senator was just plain stupid.
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #20
nezhdan
Shuttle Pilot

The original three were far superior. I didn't really enjoy any of the new ones unfortunately. But maybe that's just me. :/
nezhdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #21
Mythos

One morning when going to school by train I heard some guy say: "[...], but I never would've thought that Anakin was Darth Vader..."
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #22
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Sounds like the deal where you just do not tell your blonde date the Titanic sinks in the movie
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #23
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroneske
Jar Jar is the lamest Star Wars character ever. I was hoping he wouldn't be in this episode, as they only had him in AOC briefly and to make him a senator was just plain stupid.
Actually I was kinda hoping they would put him in the movie for a death scene...
shugotenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #24
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP
The big battle scene at the beginning was incredible.
I was sitting there saying to myself "holy sh*t which part do I watch" because there was so much going on on the screen.
You could watch the battle scene 20 times and still not see everything.
I agree, that's why I can't wait for the dvd just to rewatch that battle.
shugotenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #25
martok2112
Shuttle Pilot

Well, I loved SW Episode III...it just edged out Empire Strikes Back as my favorite Star Wars film....but only just.

The lightsaber fights are simply beautiful. The music "Battle of the Heroes" during the climactic final battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan (with hints of Duel of the Fates with Yoda and the Emperor) really set it off for me.

I love how this movie played like a buddy flick at the beginning, with the banter between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Reminded me of the Lethal Weapon movies sometimes.

Eagerly awaiting this movie on DVD in November.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #26
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

DVD in November? Cool.

There's a couple of birthdays to keep in mind for that time frame-

3DG turns 5 and my birthday
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #27
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

I agree about the "buddy film" aspect near the beginning. Acting-wise, that was the best part.

I hope that kind of interplay is used in the upcoming TV series, assuming it actually gets made.
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #28
martok2112
Shuttle Pilot

I think a lot of the acting improved in this installment as well.

Gotta admit, many scenes in there sent chills up my spine. If they could've taken THIS movie, expanded on it, and made it into three episodes....THAT would've been the ultimate prequel trilogy.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #29
martok2112
Shuttle Pilot

If there's one thing that this movie series proves is that cornball screams of denial run in the Skywalker family.

Irreverently,
Martok2112
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #30
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

Default Star Wars III

The movie was great. A great deal to take in, and I want the DVD when it comes out. There was just too much to see. Yes the acting was okay, but the visuals are outstanding.
McAfee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote