Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old August 27th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Dennis

Default Version 2.1 - Refit U.S.S. Enterprise from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"

Not to be bombastic or anything.

Oscar Wilde wrote that "Books are never finished, they are merely abandoned", a sentiment that was pretty quickly paraphrased and applied to art in general. So it is with this mesh, but "abandoned and to be released" didn't sound right.

This is a new mesh, built from scratch over the last year or so, more accurate and detailed than the one I released in 2001. I've been tremendously gratified at the number of folks who've used the 2001 mesh and posted their work on-line over the years. This one is based mainly on the photo gallery at www.cloudster.com, the David Lindsey/PocketBook drawings from 1980 and study of the modeling and lighting work of a lot of other, better modelers over the last four years.

There's a lot more that can be done with this ship -- particularly the lighting -- but not by me. Within the next forty-eight hours I'll make the mesh available for download, probably here and at www.lwg3d.com. Folks are free to do with it as they wish; I ask only that if you use it you credit me as the modeler.

Anyway, enough out of me. Here's what I got:

Oh, one thing -- the most frequent request I've gotten over the years regarding the 2001 version (besides, "can you fix that missing polygon on the bottom of the engineering hull") has been for NCC-1701-A registry markings to swap with the NCC-1701 version. This release will include both markings, as well as a third set that are a surprise and rather a little self-indulgence.
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #2
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

Great work.
shugotenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #3
gmd3d
Admin

Dennis the Enterprise Looks great ... No AWESOME is a far better word.. Thanks for sharing it... I will have to wait about 3 weeks before I can go near my PC again .... as I am off on my Honeymoon... I am going to see it a the best wedding presant yet.. (at least for me her indoors can have the picture frames etc) ... Shugo I will do some super picture with this model

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #4
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Excellent as per your typical work. What are some of the enhancements over the 2001 version?
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:15 AM   #5
gmd3d
Admin

how big is it .. on memory ... the first one was very easy to use ..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 06:27 PM   #6
mavek
Shuttle Pilot

This is an awesome model, i've had a rummage around with it already. Do you have any tips for changing the decals, particularly how do you do the circular text in lightwave?
mavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 04:19 PM   #7
Cinnabear

It's a beautiful mesh, Dennis...
You are very generous to share it.
Thank you!
Now all I gotta do is buy myself a copy of lightwave. ^_^

-jaime
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
as well as a third set that are a surprise and rather a little self-indulgence.
Do I hear a hint of "Exeter" in that comment?

If you have any problems uploading it here to make it available, lemme know ASAP and I'll help ya get it up there.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote