Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old September 21st, 2005, 11:56 AM   #31
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

I just read that the Star Wars: Clone Wars will be an animated series. I suspect this is how the Star Wars universe will be expanded.
McAfee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #32
dragonie
Novice

oh my god... i just hope they dont let it go to... well i hope they keep the whole thing the same rather then what happened with star gate with teal'c getting hair...
dragonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:26 PM   #33
jf3000
Shuttle Pilot

The tv series will be filmed in parts of Sydney, u want a part, u should here what the casting agents in sydney are saying to there clients, people are just so excited about the possibility of being in starwars.
jf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM   #34
batboy853
Shuttle Pilot

does any one know when it will be going on air?
batboy853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM   #35
Northwatch
Shuttle Pilot

I'm afraid it is going to be like any other series I like, Lasts one and half season and just when it starts winning awards, the network will pull it. I hope it flys but I'm not holding my breath.
Northwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #36
joelglaine
Shuttle Pilot

It might be good if Lucas set up the story-arc and let others fill in the details. If they want to fill in some of the details of some of the other places in the galaxy, there's plenty of source material to bring to the screen in the SW universe. I have little expectations of good or bad at this point. I still remember: EWOKS stealing the sixth movie and ruining it, JARJAR Binks poisoning the first episode, and THE STAR WARS CHRISTMAS SPECIAL which was....like the holocaust. Absolutely nothing good came of it.

The high points of SW were so high, and the low points were SO very low. I'll wait and see.
joelglaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #37
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Dude, Ewoks rule!! C'mon, what's better than the over-confident Imperial forces having their asses handed to them by a bunch of stone-aged teddy bears? As for Jar Jar, I don't see why everyone's panties got in a wad over that one, I laughed my ass off when I watched that in the theater. Jar Jar is cool. A little comic relief is great.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #38
Skullsplitter
Bad Email Address

Lucas does need to get other writers & directors in on this project - the prequels prove that.

Good Sci Fi does not have to be kiddified - the sort of kids who like sci fi are very intelligent.

Oh! and Ewoks are best barbecued over a low heat, or kebabed with Jar Jar's eyeballs.
Skullsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #39
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I agree that kidified scifi is an insult to kids. I grew up watching these movies and my favorite has always been Empire, which is the least kid friendly of them all. As for Jar Jar, I like a little humor in a movie, that's why I think he's funny. I was 20 years old when that came out, so I didn't look at that so much as a kid thing, but rather as your standard comic relief.

Now, onto the Ewoks. The Ewoks kick ass if you look past the cuteness to the irony of the situation. Here's the Empire, this group of badass soldiers with the latest in weapons and armor. Nobody screws with the Empire. They take over the Endor moon and pretty much ignore the Ewoks, becuase they're a bunch of spear-chucking primitives. Then, in the course of one battle, these spear-chucking primitives lay to waste an entire legion (I was in the military and believe me, a legion is frackin' huge) of the Emperor's best troops. These aren't your standard weekend warrior stormtroopers, these are the Delta Force of stormtroopers. And these little Ewoks took them down. Why? Because the Empire didn't see them as a threat and ignored them. Their own arrogance killed them. If that's not the very definition of ironic, I don't know what is.
Old July 21st, 2006, 04:18 AM   #40
joelglaine
Shuttle Pilot

I do see the whole battle of Endor as VERY ironic! Not from the story either. I knew what went on BEHIND the scene. It was a corporate circuis horror!

The planet was intended from the beginning to be Kashyk, the wookie homeworld, first off. Then Lucas had kids, and he made the descision to add in whole cloth a new race that was "More cuddly, sort of like teddy-bears to appeal to the younger audience." What younger audience? His four year old daughter?

At the time it was viewed as a gross back-stabbing in the un-holy name of market-share and coporate greed. He kept the story unchanged otherwise (really?) and simply had the three foot tall Ewoks do with 'stone knives and bearskins' what seven foot tall Wookie warriors with Bowcaters and blasters would have done.

Then he marketed the unholy crap out of everything Ewok! Ewok Christmas Specials, Easter Specials, and Tv shows of animated Ewoks to make them even cuter. Ewok games, shows, lunchboxes, figures, underwear, clothes and everything else! It seemed that Star Wars itself was actually forgotten in the Ewok flood following the release of Return of the Jedi.

If you were twenty when Episode 1 came out, you missed the crap about the Ewoks. I was twenty-two when Return of the Jedi came out and still feel backstabbed after all these years.

THAT is why I hate Ewoks.
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:18 AM   #41
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I was four when ROTJ came out and I saw it in the theater. I was stoked because that was the first one I saw in the theater (for obvious reasons.) And, yes, I managed to avoid all of the extra Ewok crap over the years. They were cool in the movie, but that's as far as I can stand them.
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:22 PM   #42
ramjam380
Novice

Well if it answers some of your questions, the last that I heard about the live-action TV series, Lucas was working to create a sort of meta-plot for the first 100 episodes, leaving other writers to create the actual scripts and specifics. The entire first season will be written and filmed at once. However, this won't even begin until 2008.

Lucasfilm has been guaranteed 100 episodes of one hour each. They will be based on a spinoff character (shown in the movies but not a focus), and they will be set between episodes III and IV.

Oh, and it'll all be in 3D. As in glasses...yeah.

This is all on TFN (here), and largely from the man in plaid himself. However, since shooting won't even begin until '08, it's too early to expect to know specifics.
ramjam380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 05:28 PM   #43
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Basically, this sounds like a huge waste of money to me. But, that's George's call to make. I know I'm not sitting for an hour in front of my TV with stupid 3D glasses on. I can't even stand to wear my sunglasses for extended periods of time, let alone wear stupid red and blue cardboard glassed for that amount of time. Honestly, I don't know exactly what goes on in George Lucas' head that he gets these stupid ideas.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:07 PM   #44
joelglaine
Shuttle Pilot

I can agree about the wondering about stupid ideas. LOL

Maybe it'll be "Adventures of the Intergalactic Cook"? Obi-wan's friend from Episode 2? Be all I need to swear off SciFi right there!
Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM   #45
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It's not like you have to watch it or anything...

There are about 1000 channels if you have cable or, if you don't, there are 6 channels and DVDs.
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #46
ramjam380
Novice

Actually, I heard something about the actress that played Aayla Secura (sic?) being pulled in for the project, so it sounds like the 3D is good news for the blue head-tentacle fetish community.

That also says that we may be still looking at some jedi making their way into this series. Notice that some were not shown actually dying in Ep. III, but merely being shot at or crashing. That's purely speculative, but I feel like it's entirely possible given how the EU brought Boba Fett back. Popular (i.e. profitable) characters aren't likely to get killed off.
ramjam380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #47
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Hey, I've seen pics of that chick that played Aayla at SW.com without the blue tentacles and makeup and she's pretty hot. She works at ILM or something like that, that's how she got the role.
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #48
joelglaine
Shuttle Pilot

The Jedi, Shak-Ti, didn't buy it on Episode 3. She's popular from the Clone Wars shorts from the cartoon network. We'll have to see.
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #49
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

She was killed in the deleted scenes. It depends on whether George decides to resurrect her and pretend it didn't happen, since it wasn't in the movie.
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #50
joelglaine
Shuttle Pilot

Only what made it to the big sceen counts. Deleted scenes don't require characters to be brought back to life, because they weren't killed where it counts.

Also George Lucas is a king in pretending things didn't happen.
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #51
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I know it didn't count that it wasn't on screen. However, it did happen in the novel, and George tends to maintain a continuity with his novels, when it's convenient.
Old July 29th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #52
joelglaine
Shuttle Pilot

The Star Wars movie didn't read ANYTHING like the original novel. He made younger and despensed with General Solo, creating Obi-wan out of whole cloth for the movie. Originally, the Millinium Falcon was to become Luke's ship after General Solo died battling Darth Vader on the Deathstar.

The ORIGINAL novel got yanked just before the movie release and a slightly diferent version was released after the movie, ghosted by Alan Dean Foster. I actually loved the dark dystopian Galactic Empire that Lucas wrote about. It was more like THX-1138 than what we saw on the screen.

As such--yeah, continuity where convenient! ROFL
Old July 29th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #53
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I still think he should have gone with the original, where Luke's name was Anakin Starkiller. :evil:
Old July 29th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #54
joelglaine
Shuttle Pilot

"Starkiller"--Now that is a MANLY, dude-to-kill-all-dudes name and then some!

DARTH STARKILLER!

O-kay, that is scarier than Vader. Melodramatic, but scary. ROFLOMAO
Old July 29th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #55
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'm just glad the lightsabers went from everyday use to just being Jedi weapons. 'Sabers wouldn't be nearly as cool if your average stormtrooper was a 'saber-wielding mofo.
Old November 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM   #56
bwaomega
Shuttle Pilot

Not having Lucas doing the detail work might save the series. He might be able to put together a decent big picture, but right now I'd rather see Timothy Zahn handling Star Wars than Lucas.

As far as main characters appearing, there's really only a few that would make sense showing up for an episode or two. Han, perhaps, if they can find a good actor. Maybe Leia, Chewbacca or Lando. But Luke and Obi-wan are off in the middle of nowhere for a reason...
bwaomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #57
pgtyner
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: Starwars TV series

The trailers look great! I am looking forward to see Obiwan and Annikan and their characters expanded!
pgtyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #58
pgtyner
Shuttle Pilot

Has anyone heard any dates for when this will actually begin?
pgtyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #59
Giantsquid
Shuttle Pilot

Supposed to be sometime this summer I believe. It might be pretty good, but it would have been better if it was post Return of the Jedi I think. Because no matter what happens in this one, it really has no affect on the balance of the star wars universe.

I just think its a 'safe zone' for Lucas and co. Whereas picking up afterwards would potentially lead to him being very jealous is the Zahn stories go over well- especially if film geek-dom fills the internet with rhetoric of how much better the actual story may or may not be.
Giantsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #60
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Last I heard was September 2007 (though obviously that ship has sailed.) I wonder what the freakin' holdup is. They should just start it so it can suck and then flop and George Lucas can give up on this silly TV idea and finally move on to some Episode 7, 8 & 9 movies.