Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old July 30th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #511
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Default Re: Star Trek: Retribution

Just be careful. When you present ideas that are as incompatible with someone else's project as yours are with mine--ideas that fail those three tests--then, when your ideas are rejected as too derivative, announce that you're forging ahead with a full script, it presents the appearance that you're more interested in pushing your own ideas than you are with the other project. I don't want to dredge up ancient history, but suffice it to say that over the course of producing two elaborate films, I'm speaking from experience.

I'll give you an example--when I was producing my first film, Specter, one user wouldn't stop harping on the idea of using the title theme from Disney's The Black Hole from 1978 for Scene 42, "The Extraction Process," nevermind that that particular piece of music had entirely the wrong feel and mood to it, not to mention it was far too long for the scene in question and couldn't be edited down smoothly. I pointed those things out repeatedly, to no avail.

The same kinds of things kept happening during the production of Retribution. In every case, people were putting forth their own ideas of things that would have been interesting to see, no question, but which had no place in serious storytelling. It didn't take very long before I stopped taking those people seriously, and not much longer after that before I stopped listening altogether.

Long story short, anytime you're going to offer a suggestion for a project--be it Redemption or anything else--you want to make sure what you're offering isn't too "off the wall" compared with the existing project.

A story involving the Q is at least within the bounds of the Star Trek universe, even if the concept you presented is very derivative. A concept that in any way involves Digimon has no business being anywhere near the Star Trek universe. And neither of these ideas are in any way compatible with the story I'm telling.

The Section 31 bit made some sense since it was established in Retribution that they were connected to what was happening there. The difference is relevance.

Last edited by tnpir4001; July 30th, 2012 at 02:55 PM..
tnpir4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #512
BlackXANA28
Shuttle Pilot

Caitian are a species within the Star Trek Universe, not from Digimon. As I've said in one of my previous posts, I'm doing my research this time and not ripping it off from somewhere else. However, I'll only quote this once....

"I'm a writer with ideas, not a animator!"

Sorry, had to pull a McCoy there. :P
Don't know if you'll be interested after Redemption is over with, but I'll just leave that up to you to decide.

On a minor note, I've seen your trailers, as well as scene/part 1, and I must say it's very good. Especially that intro taken from the TNG series, which I've really grew up from my childhood. I like it.
BlackXANA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:55 AM   #513
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXANA28 View Post
Whoops. Sorry, I guess I got a little carried away there. :p
ha ha.... not a bad way to be carried away...... but you are welcome to start your own project thread when you need it.....

some great ideas there too.

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:32 AM   #514
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Remember when I posted Scene 32, that one where Drakus goes to inspect his fleet? There was a bit of a disagreement between me and the fans about what the BGM should be. Now that "Retribution" is complete I've been tinkering with this scene anew, and I think I've found a piece of music I like, and I figured I'd see what everyone else thinks. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQovnrswMDU

The piece I originally used was "Turn Turn Turn (To Everything There is a Season)" by The Byrds; the fans wanted "Suicide Mission" by Jack Wall, from Mass Effect 2. I didn't really like that piece, but this one I think I could live with if you guys like it. What do you think?
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:46 AM   #515
gmd3d
Admin

..... do you have links for the other scene to compare.

but sounds ok ..

that is a hell of a lot of ships in that scene... how many warbirds did you use

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 31st, 2012, 07:04 AM   #516
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

The original version of this scene is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Uc-...ailpage#t=839s

One commenter on YouTube already feels "Mega March" is far better than "Turn Turn Turn." Offhand I can't say I disagree...

As for the number of warbirds, I lost track when I was putting that scene together!...it was too much for Bryce to handle in one layer, so I wound up having to split the fleet up into several layers and then composite them all together.
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:15 AM   #517
gmd3d
Admin

Yeah I agree that Mega March is better ... I do think that the music in the up`dated scene should fade when the Scott Fitzgerald
appears and add some character trek theme music.......

Just a thought ?

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 31st, 2012, 07:22 AM   #518
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpir4001 View Post
The original version of this scene is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Uc-...ailpage#t=839s

As for the number of warbirds, I lost track when I was putting that scene together!...it was too much for Bryce to handle in one layer, so I wound up having to split the fleet up into several layers and then composite them all together.

Not surprised ........ there are a lot of birds in that scene.....

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 31st, 2012, 01:11 PM   #519
BlackXANA28
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
ha ha.... not a bad way to be carried away...... but you are welcome to start your own project thread when you need it.....

some great ideas there too.
Thanks , though I'm still in the process of working on it.

And @Tnpir4001, I've been doing some thinking for your ST: Redemption, and this is on a If-ish scale...
What if, WHAT IF, Seven of Nine (From ST:VOY) came in to help with the mission since you're dealing with (in a term) "Borg"?

Last edited by BlackXANA28; July 31st, 2012 at 09:21 PM..
BlackXANA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM   #520
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXANA28 View Post
Thanks , though I'm still in the process of working on it.
No Problem.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old January 6th, 2014, 04:50 AM   #521
DCT1964
Shuttle Pilot

Are the scenes still available some where?
DCT1964 is offline   Reply With Quote