Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old July 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Default Star Trek III: Redemption

This is the official project thread for my latest project, "Star Trek III: Redemption," the epic film that concludes the Specter saga. I just posted the full version of the first scene on YouTube, check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRevOT-pefw

I've posted my preliminary plot outline on this project's Wiki at Star Trek Expanded, if you have any feedback on Act 3 I'm all ears, the plot gets a little convoluted there and I'm open to any ideas about how to simplify things.

Other than that, thanks for watching!

Last edited by tnpir4001; August 1st, 2012 at 12:04 PM..
tnpir4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:52 AM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: Star Trek III: Redemption

Always great to see your work and this project just grows and grows ........

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:14 AM   #3
gmd3d
Admin

I have stuck this tread so we can keep handy for viewer´s ...

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 31st, 2012, 06:32 PM   #4
BlackXANA28
Shuttle Pilot

@Tnpir4001: I don't know if you saw this in the other thread from me, so I'll just do this as a sort of a quote-on-quote...

I've been doing some thinking for your ST: Redemption, and this is on a If-ish scale...
What if, WHAT IF, Seven of Nine (From ST:VOY) came in to help with the mission since you're dealing with (in a term) "Borg"?

Last edited by BlackXANA28; July 31st, 2012 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: misspell on username
BlackXANA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:12 PM   #5
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

I didn't see it but I'm afraid I have to turn that one down too. Simply put, there's no way to work her in. The early scenes in 2399 all center on the Fitzgerald crew, with whom Seven is not affiliated, so her presence would have to be explained. Then when we go back to 2378, and then to 2367, she'll still be on Voyager and then part of the Borg Collective--both in the Delta Quadrant--during those time frames.

Spoiler:
Spoiler
The intent is for the original version of Dr. Garr to be the resident expert on the Borg, hence why they enlist his assistance during Act Two in 2378.
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
BlackXANA28
Shuttle Pilot

Rats... There goes that idea then, and I thought it would work too. Guess its back to the drawing board.
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM   #7
BlackXANA28
Shuttle Pilot

ok, then let's say the child (Teen or Adult) of Seven and Chakotay who's in Starfleet, and can't reveal himself/herself to her biological parents in the past of any time frame...
Would that work instead on a list of possibilities for you?
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:20 PM   #8
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Not really sure that would work any better. I brought in two characters from canon into the first film, and even to my eyes it came across a little awkwardly. Admiral Janeway appearing in Retribution worked a little better because it was little more than a meaningful cameo.

Then there's the complicated backstory. Plus having to explain where this character comes from. Plus the fact that they'd have nothing to do.

Bear in mind the plot of this film is going to be tangled enough as it is. We're going to be traveling back in time not once but twice, and we're going to have two versions of each of the following characters:
1) Gaius Reyf
2) Bradley Prentice
3) Kendra Ronston
4) Braiyon Garr (there will actually be THREE versions of him)
5) Merv Ronston
6) Renee Mitchell
7) Jennifer Hargrove
8) Lesley Kal

Plus Dr. Falwell, Maxwell Garrett, Howard Parks, and maybe a few minor 2378 Fitzgerald crewmembers. At minimum that's 20 speaking roles. Any changes to that cast have to be fully defensible, since I'm having difficulty coming up with enough to keep even this cast engaged for the entire plot. There simply aren't any openings for additional characters here.

Here's what I've got:
A-story: stopping Drakus and repairing the damage to 2399
B-story: Kal and Mitchell / Prentice and Ronston / Garr and Kristie
C-story: the crew from 2399 and the crew from 2378

The established Borg expert and omnidisciplinary scientist here is Dr. Garr from 2378. Period. That was clearly established in Specter when it was discovered that the ISS Voyager had been outfitted with Borg weapons and defenses, and reinforced in Retribution when it was learned that Drakus' physiology was being sustained by Borg technology.

Before suggesting any more cast changes, consider that this is the third film in a trilogy, with a plot that intends to reference events from the first film, and ultimately intends to focus internally on our by-now-well-established principal cast. Add to that the fact that the 2399 version of the Fitzgerald is only going to have seven crewmembers aboard, and there's simply no opening for a one-off character.

Given that, trying to shoehorn in yet another character would be distracting. And as I've said before there's simply nothing for them to do, meaning all the exposition required to explain who they are and why we should care would add up to nothing.

Last edited by tnpir4001; August 1st, 2012 at 09:25 PM..
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM   #9
BlackXANA28
Shuttle Pilot

Hmm.... ok, so instead of new/addtional characters (since this just popped into my head from reading your last post), what if on a plot scale, you would have one of the characters you mentioned (since it's doubled in a way, #3 in the your list for example) mirror the other each other, in synch, when they come face to face for the first time, until one of them screws up or both of them gets cought by a different crewmembers past or future self.

I mean, we've all looked at ourselves in mirrors all the time, and the reflection just mimics.

And I've got to ask this....
Are you planning on destroying the Fitzgerald, or just leaving it as a museum once this is over?
Because I'm kinda hoping on using it for a rescue mission on my end.

Last edited by BlackXANA28; August 1st, 2012 at 10:50 PM..
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:20 AM   #10
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXANA28 View Post
Hmm.... ok, so instead of new/addtional characters (since this just popped into my head from reading your last post), what if on a plot scale, you would have one of the characters you mentioned (since it's doubled in a way, #3 in the your list for example) mirror the other each other, in synch, when they come face to face for the first time, until one of them screws up or both of them gets cought by a different crewmembers past or future self.

I mean, we've all looked at ourselves in mirrors all the time, and the reflection just mimics.
...seriously? Remember the discussion we had about serious and adult storytelling? The mirror gag is something I've only ever seen in childrens' cartoons, and the one time I saw it live-action was in an episode of I Love Lucy. That's the kind of thing no self-respecting writer wanting to be taken seriously would include in their project.

Quote:
And I've got to ask this....Are you planning on destroying the Fitzgerald, or just leaving it as a museum once this is over? Because I'm kinda hoping on using it for a rescue mission on my end.
I'm going to say this as diplomatically as I can...
1) You don't expect me to give away the ultimate ending do you?
2) I came up with my own ship and crew, you need do the same.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:52 AM   #11
BlackXANA28
Shuttle Pilot

Rats, dang, and phewy.... so much for that. I guess I'm thinking to hard, so I'll just lay off for now until I can come up with something useful on the a possible scale, even if they were just suggestions.

And ok, I was only asking.

But on a request, and if you get into a starship battle scene, could you do a Saucer Seperation with the Fitzgerald (since it's a upgraded galexy class ship), or is that out of the question?
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #12
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

The first actual scene of "Redemption" is up! Sorry it took so long, this was an elaborate scene to produce. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWbTJItLg3A
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #13
gmd3d
Admin

very nice opening ..... bravo

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 5th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #14
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Next piece is up, it's short but VERY much worth seeing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=horfaLywCjo

The action is starting a lot sooner this time around than it did in either Specter or Retribution

Last edited by tnpir4001; August 5th, 2012 at 09:13 PM..
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #15
BlackXANA28
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
very nice opening ..... bravo
Indeed, though I'm beginning to think that the blue head (Forgive me that I've forgotten her name) just joined up with Section 31, hence the black clothes she's wearing.

It makes you wonder if she did or not. Puzzling, no?
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #16
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXANA28 View Post
It makes you wonder if she did or not. Puzzling, no?
No. Section 31 operatives didn't go around openly. When in public they blended in with whatever the crowd around them was wearing. Kal is also the only one who is wearing lipstick, and not wearing a uniform. The implication is that she's wearing civilian attire...strongly hinting that she's not in Starfleet anymore, but just came along with two of her friends for one last look around the ship before it's mothballed.
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #17
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

A quick little sneak peek at the next scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iwk4n-eNTk

Haven't settled on a final music track yet, but right now the frontrunner is "Escape from the Ocampa Underground." I don't want to since it was used in both Specter and Retribution, but I haven't found another one that works quite as well. Open to suggestions on this one too...
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #18
starshipdriver
Novice

Greetings all I'm new here and hope to learn a few new tricks.

can anyone tell me what "Section 31 " is?

Last edited by evil_genius_180; August 7th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: merged double posts
starshipdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #19
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshipdriver View Post
Greetings all I'm new here and hope to learn a few new tricks.

can anyone tell me what "Section 31 " is?
First welcome to 3DG.

I playing around with CGI for a few years and I still learning ...

Quote:
In the Star Trek fictional universe, Section 31 is an autonomous intelligence and defense organization. It is presented as a special security operation, manned by Federation citizens, that is not subject to the normal constraints of Starfleet ethical protocols. The organization appears, or is mentioned, across eight episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Enterprise.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #20
MasterAccount
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpir4001 View Post
A quick little sneak peek at the next scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iwk4n-eNTk

Haven't settled on a final music track yet, but right now the frontrunner is "Escape from the Ocampa Underground." I don't want to since it was used in both Specter and Retribution, but I haven't found another one that works quite as well. Open to suggestions on this one too...
Maybe you should use "Genesis Armageddon." when the Fitzgerald escapes as the planet tears itself apart.
MasterAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #21
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpir4001 View Post

Nothing comes to mind at the moment music wise.... tense scene and nice build up.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #22
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Scene 3 is up in its entirety: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9WVAT3QBk

Trust me, this is one you WON'T want to miss.
Old August 9th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #23
gmd3d
Admin

GREAT !!! ....... mystery deepens

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #24
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Also going to say a major THANK YOU to DopiusFishius from DeviantArt for generously creating brand-new STO uniform textures specifically for use in Redemption with the P4 turtlenecks, they'll be introduced in Scene 4 and you'll see the earlier scenes re-rendered with the new uniforms during the next production stopdown. Check the project Wiki for links to his page and to the uniform textures!
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #25
gmd3d
Admin

Looking forward to seen the new uniforms .

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 11th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #26
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Here's Scene 4, "Sector 001." If you thought Scene 3 was a shocker, wait till you see this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-MdLd2E6cg

Also, a note about the uniforms: the way the textures were designed means that for them to show up properly I have to render the character animations at a higher resolution than normal, which would slow down production too much...they're going to glitch some (like when Hargrove steps into the turbolift, she's behind Ronston but it looks like she's standing in front of her), but we'll have to deal with it until principal production is complete. The show what DopiusFishius' uniforms "should" look like, I rendered Ronston's solo tour of the ship at those higher settings, so for a few minutes at least you can see them as they were meant to be seen.
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #27
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

New long clip is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm8MGwKjwcU

Complete scenes 1-4, this time proudly featuring DopiusFishius' uniforms all the way through, with some glitches fixed here and there. Looking forward to moving ahead with Scene 5, just did the voice recording for it and going to get started on it later tonight.
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #28
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Scene 5 is up in its entirety: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK_IwtFrBu8

If you didn't see the preview I posted earlier, be ready because this is a powerful scene.
Old August 16th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #29
uncledonmc
Shuttle Pilot

I just saw this and will need to look it your work asap.
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #30
tnpir4001
Master Pilot

Next scene is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6l73uOmSAw

I'm particularly proud of this one for the way it works in character development with Merv and Kendra right alongside solid advancement of the sci-fi plot.