Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Mesh Releases
Notices
Mesh Releases If it's been recently released; it's probably been posted in here! You must be a registered member to view this forum.

Old December 9th, 2000, 03:26 PM   #1
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Default Nebula Class Bridge

The texturing is unfinished (still has all Star Trek VI textures), but I decided to go ahead and release it now anyway. If you wish, you may certainly retexture it.

Required Shaders:
Perlin Noise
Yamaneko Noise

Required Textures (\TS4\Textures\Okudagrams\):
http://www.webolutionary.com/truespa...udagrams-m.zip (2.1MB)

And here is the URL you've all been waiting for:
http://www.webolutionary.com/truespa...dge_nebula.zip (973K)

FYI, once I get my finished set of TNG LCARS panels from Resistance, I will release those textures as well. All you will need to do is save them to the same folder as these, overwriting the others (create a copy of the okudagrams folder first) and reload the scene, as I will reuse the same filenames so that the scene doesn't have to be retextured. If there is any change from that, I'll let you know when I release the new textures.

ADMIN NOTE: Per email conversation on 12-28-2007, this is now available in the Downloads.
------------------
Sean Robertson
Moderator, trueSpace Q&ampA

http://www.webolutionary.com

"I'm the UUA and I vote."
seanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2000, 03:08 AM   #2
DrBob

I have been looking at the scene.
Another great effort by you.
But.....
it says , missing 2 texture maps :
OpsControls1701B
and opscontrols1701b.
Looks like they are the helm textures
Old December 10th, 2000, 04:36 AM   #3
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

I thought they were in the texture zip file, but I guess they weren't. I'll fix that on Monday.
Old December 24th, 2000, 01:27 PM   #4
brunocollaer
Shuttle Pilot

will there ever be a lightwave conversion ?
brunocollaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2000, 02:39 PM   #5
Dan
Commodore

3D Explorer does a great job of converting TS to other formats, including LWO and LWS. It's got a demo that's free and fully functional for about a month.
http://www.xdsoft.com/explorer/

Dan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2000, 04:32 PM   #6
Dauntless

Does it do max conversions?
Old December 24th, 2000, 04:41 PM   #7
Dan
Commodore

3DS only, but it retains all the texture coordinates, so it's a simple thing to retexture and relight.

Dan
Old December 25th, 2000, 02:51 AM   #8
Dauntless

I see.
Now if only I could learn how to texture....
Old December 25th, 2000, 05:49 AM   #9
Dan
Commodore

Well, it's just a matter of dropping a map (or in this case, a proceedural texture) into a slot and seeing if you like it...

Sean uses Noise maps alot to good effect...

Dauntless, if you'd like and are seriously in need, I'll give you a brief text tutorial on how to do it...

Dan
Old December 25th, 2000, 06:23 AM   #10
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Thanks! Most of my objects are painted with a flat color, but some, like the walls, railings, etc. in this set have noise bump maps. The carpeting is two layered noise shaders.

If anyone does successfully convert this, feel free to re-release it, just make sure you add a text file or something saying who the original mesh was by.

Old December 25th, 2000, 01:54 PM   #11
Dan
Commodore

'K. Well, quick and dirty, unless you've got a specific detail bitmap in mind, you should generally use a noise or blend shader in the diffuse channel, and make it *very* subtle; this is just to get away the constant look you get in CG. Second, use a either an instance of your diffuse or a more saturated version of your diffuse for your specularity channel.

Now comes to where most of the detail comes in: the shininess level channel. Here, a good map would be the plateox.TGA that comes with most Wolfpack stuff, or the STEELPLT.jpg map that comes with most theforce.net/scifi3d stuff. Tile this a few times on large surfaces to give it subtle highlights that also simulate reality.

I also like to use the "metal" shader on some of my textures, just to give some surfaces a very different look. Most of the time, I use Blinn.

Stay away from bumpmapping with interiors, and in fact, most exteriors, as well; it doesn't simulate well.

If you have a specific question, ask it and I'll see if I or another member can help.

Dan
Old December 25th, 2000, 02:14 PM   #12
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

I'm not sure that the plateox.tga or steelplt.jpg maps would work for an interior. On a Star Trek interior, the surfaces are mostly smooth, especialy on a federation ship, with not hint of paneling.

With regards to bump mapping, in most cases, there should be none, but some interiors (Enterprise B bridge, for example) have surface that look like the were sprayed with paint, leaving a rough looking speckled kind of surface. Those types of objects should have simple noise displacement shaders (with a fairly high frequency, low amplitude) applied.
Old December 25th, 2000, 02:53 PM   #13
Dan
Commodore

Most of my interiors use the plateox.TGA. You need to play with the glossiness/shininess channel to keep it from going overboard, but it's very effect.

With regards to the stucco effect in the E-B, that's an instance where I'd rather use a shininess level than a bump: interior textures should be hinted at rather than overt, and I've yet to see a truly subtle bump map that worked for me in Max. That might be different in TS.

Dan
Old December 25th, 2000, 04:22 PM   #14
Dauntless

Thanks!
I'll see what I can do with your suggestions.

------------------
Moderator - Star Trek and Non-Scifi Artwork.

Contact me at ICQ #
Old December 25th, 2000, 05:48 PM   #15
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Quote:
interior textures should be hinted at rather than overt, and I've yet to see a truly subtle bump map that worked for me in Max. That might be different in TS.
In trueSpace, at least, it all depends on what you set the amplitude to. It should be so low as to be nearly invisible. That is quite easy to do in trueSpace, but I have no idea what settings are available in Max.

------------------
Sean Robertson

http://www.mania-online.com

Old December 25th, 2000, 06:17 PM   #16
Dan
Commodore

No, Max has an amplitude. I've just never found that I got adaquate realism from low amp bump maps vs fiddling with the shininess. It's entirely personal.

Dan
Old December 25th, 2000, 06:30 PM   #17
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

All of the walls in this scene, as well as the railing and the stanalone consoles have low amplitude bump maps appled. The chairs do to, all though those have a higher amplitude than the wall and railing do.

------------------
Sean Robertson

http://www.mania-online.com

Old December 25th, 2000, 10:21 PM   #18
Dauntless

Dan: If you can provide any texturing help in max, i would love it. I have only the most basic knowledge of texturing.

------------------
Moderator - Star Trek and Non-Scifi Artwork.

Contact me at ICQ #