Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:48 PM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Another Star Trek Ship!

Believe it or not, this started out as an original thing I was working on earlier. I started working on some engines for a totally original ship with no agenda in mind at all and was coming up with nothing good. Next thing I know, I have a space energy/matter matrix restoration cowl for a TOS-era ship sitting there. (the thing on the back with the ridges and the globe coming out of it.) So, I started making the rest of the nacelle. This is the first time I've started a Trek ship from the tail end, but it's fun. I usually start with the saucer like most everyone else or the main body of the nacelles. But, I literally started this one from the back.

After a couple hours' worth of modeling, I have the main componets for the nacelle and a small start on the greebling because it's fun. The colors are just placeholders for yet-to-be made textures. I just hate throwing up pics with plain white on white modeled pieces.

Here's a little background on the ship that I've been making up in my head while I was modeling. It's a medium cruiser from sometime between the launch of the original Enterprise, NCC-1701 in 2245 and her return to spacdock for its major refit 44 years later.

So, since I'm working with 44 years of advancements, I'm not restricting myself to just TOS-era components. After all, when Kirk took command in 2265, there had to be more advanced ships out there and the Enterprise was obviously refitted slightly between the Cage and WNMHGB and between WNMHGB and The Corbomite Maneuver, but most of the refits were minor and were probably restricted mainly to the components, not so much to the cosmetic exterior of the ship. So, this ship will be significantly different than the Enterprise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nacelle01.jpg (33.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg nacelle02.jpg (44.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg nacelle03.jpg (43.6 KB, 4 views)
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Well, apparently nobody cares. Oh well, I don't need anybody.

hello, somebody, anybody

*the sound of crickets chirping fills the air....*

Anywho, I guess I'm talking to myself. Hopefully one of my personalities will take the time to answer. :evil: I finished the nacelle and plan to move on to either the primary (saucer) or secondary (not saucer) hull after I get some sleep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nacelle05.jpg (39.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg nacelle06.jpg (44.5 KB, 7 views)
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #3
gmd3d
Admin

lOOKS great ..... As said before I love the orignal Enterprise in alls it glory .. i wish I could do the enterprise myself

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Complete more of it
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Complete more of it
Well, if you insist...

The secondary hull has been started. I've decided to do a layout similar to the Constitution-class heavy cruiser. However, this is a medium cruiser, so it will be about 1/2 to 1/3 the size. I did some scaling on the nacelle earlier and here are the stats: it's approx. 80 meters long, 10.25 meters wide and 13.5 meters tall. The secondary hull right now is approx. 55.5 meters wide and has a diameter of 18.3 meters. The saucer will probably be around 80 meters in diameter, giving the ship a balanced look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sechull01.jpg (35.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sechull02.jpg (35.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sechull03.jpg (27.3 KB, 5 views)
Old August 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #6
Moebius

I can't wait to see all the bits and pieces assembled together...

Cheers! — Möe
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #7
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Nice detail. You have done a bit of detailing on the secondary hull, are you going to create a fantail? If the ship is only 1/2 to 1/3 the size it would seem to have larger amount of area to take up.

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

No, no fantails. I thought of the amount of space even having a shuttlebay in the secondary hull would take up, so it will be in the larger primary hull. The secondary hull will mostly be engineering systems and cargo storage. The shape of the secondary hull right now is how it will mostly stay on the completed model.
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #9
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I had a little fun earlier. I started cutting windows into the hull of my ship and found I was getting a bunch of mesh errors. I tried adding faces, but that made it look like it had been mangled. So, I remodeled the main part of the secondary hull so it has a lot more polys. Then I had to redo the stripes and writing to fit the new hull. So, after that was done, I took a break and watched a movie and then I just came back and cut the windows into the new hull. Fortunately, the higher poly hull worked and there are no mesh errors on the new hull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sechull06.jpg (52.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sechull07.jpg (51.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sechull08.jpg (39.8 KB, 1 views)
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #10
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Today's components include the neck and nacelle struts. I still have more work to do on the engineering section, but I started the saucer (that's how I got the cut in the neck.) I also copied and mirrored the nacelle, flipped the registry around and changed the red light to green so the nacelles are correct. I'll probably post the saucer in a while, once I at least get the grid lines in.

The secondary hull right now is 53371 polies and the ship with the saucer attached is around 160 meters, making it a little larger than 1/2 the length of the Constitution-class ships. It will have 14 decks, 7 less than the Constitution-class. (And as many as the Intrepid-class, which is odd, given the fact that the Intrepid-class is a lot larger.) My decks are 2.4 meters tall, plenty of room for most people, with .6 meters between decks (to give room for a fairly thick deck and a little space for conduits and jeffries tubes and whatnot.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sechull09.jpg (41.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sechull10.jpg (48.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg sechull11.jpg (42.3 KB, 2 views)
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

A little pic that wouldn't fit on the last post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sechull12.jpg (33.8 KB, 3 views)
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #12
morganzacd5p

You know... Iv never been a fan of the TOS versions of ships, but this one is starting to pull me back.

Nice work
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #13
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks. I was hoping to get away from the TOS a little, but keep it mostly in the style. I love the TOS Enterprise myself, it's the best in my book.
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #14
morganzacd5p

For that ship, Im more for the refit. That was a beauty. And I like 1701's they have refit with NX-01 style. I guess to me it looks too low budget for its time. Look at what shows like Battlestar and Buck Rogers were doing with model work. Model work, not the motion controle. That sucked compaired to TOS
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #15
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The Enterprise Refit is another favorite of mine. (I just love the oldies.) The only issue I have with it is the registry. Decker comments that it's an almost completely new Enterprise. And, it had to be. Everything right down to the spaceframe had to be new, there's no way the old spaceframe would fit that shell. Basically, I thought the Enterprise in TMP should've had the registry NCC-1701-A because it really was a new ship, not the beloved ship from the series. I guess one of these days I'm going to have to build one of those hybrid ships.

Now for the saucer section. This took way longer than it should've to complete. The problem was in the grid lines (as usual.) I decided to save some time by cutting the round lines before I lathed the saucer and it was a grand plan. However, that did something to my template that screwed the saucer up and the straight lines wouldn't cut after the lathe. So, after a lot of foul language and some death threats aimed towards my PC, I figured out the problem and fixed it. Then, as if by magic, the straight lines straightened themselves out and worked.

Saucer notes: The saucer is 80 meters in diameter and is 4 decks thick without adding the bridge and whatnot. There are 20 straight grid lines and you can count the round ones if you want numbers on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saucer01.jpg (34.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg saucer02.jpg (40.3 KB, 1 views)
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #16
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

And in the "just because I can" file...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ship01.jpg (31.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ship02.jpg (46.6 KB, 4 views)
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #17
The Dyslexic One

Nice ship
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #18
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks.

This damn saucer is seriously trying to cut into my plans to have this ship all modeled by the conclusion of this weekend. The straight grid lines, somehow, managed to be wrong (some parts were magically missing lines.) So, I had to go back to the templates and the lathe (which sucked because I was tired this morning and accidentally didn't save the template with the cuts for he round lines in it.) So, I have this beast corrected now. This time I was smart and made the lines black so I could see they were all there, and they are. And, once I had that done, I started on the "B" deck and bridge module. The B deck also wanted to be a pain in the ass with the windows, but I got that fixed. (hopefully) Next is the sensor dome on the bottom and the windows and impulse engines and RCS thrusters and....

*walks away mumbling to himself*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saucer03.jpg (43.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg saucer04.jpg (43.7 KB, 2 views)
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #19
morganzacd5p

Got to keep an eye on those gremlins, they like to mess things up
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #20
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganzacd5p
Got to keep an eye on those gremlins, they like to mess things up
Yeah, trueSpace has a lot of Gremlins. And they love to mess things up.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #21
morganzacd5p

That thicker saucer is kinda sticking out to me. Im worried this might end up as one of those ships that only shoots (films) well at certain angles. Its modeled well, just odd.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #22
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It's only 4 decks thick.
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #23
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

And onto the bottom of the saucer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saucer05.jpg (49.9 KB, 5 views)
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #24
gmd3d
Admin

looking good eg180... look smooth

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #25
Moebius

I like... Looks very slick and clean.

Cheers! — Möe
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #26
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks. I'm workig on the weapons systems right now. I should have an update later tonight.
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #27
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Guns are now in place in the secondary hull. I added 2 forward-firing photon torpedo launchers and 1 rear-firing launcher. Also, 3 rear phaser banks and one on the belly near the front. I also added some cargo bay loading doors and tractor beams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sechull14.jpg (37.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sechull15.jpg (32.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sechull16.jpg (47.8 KB, 2 views)
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #28
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

And some shots of the whole ship because some folks over at sfm requested them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ship03.jpg (24.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ship04.jpg (28.1 KB, 3 views)
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #29
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Here's a little detailing I did earlier while watching Football. I added the phasers to the saucer and did some little sensors or something above the bridge. I also painted the darker sections on the bridge and the B deck so they'll stand out more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saucer06.jpg (49.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg saucer07.jpg (53.9 KB, 1 views)
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #30
joelglaine
Shuttle Pilot

It's looking really faboo,so far! You going to add any greeblies from the refit? I liked the Saucer bottom sensor pallettes, for instance. Some details like that might show a "bridging-the-gap" kind of look.

A hangar bay on the back of the secondary hull would look cool. How about the round section on the aft being split vertically for a huge pair of doors revealling a circlular ingress into a hangar bay? It could have a flat floor and be lined with 'stadium seating' like cargo bays. Just and idea.

These kind of models get my imagination fired up!
joelglaine is offline   Reply With Quote