Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old August 18th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #1
cobywan
Novice

Default NCC-1701 Refit Enterprise

Hello, I'm and architectural model maker from Seattle who has just dove into the CGI pool as it were.

This is my first Star Trek mesh. I started this project with the intention of using the model to CNC a practical model but it ended up being a full-on educational experience for me. Before I tackled the Enterprise I had a little experience with Rhino at my workplace on a large model of a support pylon for a pedestrian bridge. Even with many layers of clear plexiglass to deal with, that project was much easier than tackling the good old Enterprise.

Here is my Enterprise page to see some progress pictures. You will see, in the center of the page, a photo of the first CNC test I did. The second test turned out much better.

http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/Tem...rprise_CGI.htm

If you browse my homepage you will see that CGI is a relatively small part of my hobbywork. But I think it is a very important part of most of what I do in my morkplace and my home leisure. A perfect example of this is this ship that I designed in Rhino and Autocad. I laser cut the layers for the ribs out of styrene and built by hand from there.

http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/Templates/Vessel.htm
cobywan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 03:38 AM   #2
ST-One

Very good.

Keep it up!
Old August 19th, 2003, 08:39 AM   #3
JasonA

Welcome to 3D Gladiators! Very good work you have there.

I too had made a cgi refit enterprise, so I can appreciate the work you've done here. Let me just say, Great job! you've pretty much nailed all of the hard parts of this ship well. Good job on the shuttle bay and the nav dome. two hard structures for sure (and those nacelles are a bit tricky too). So can you post some wires of the model?

Anyways, good work and I look forward to seeing how your physical model turns out.
Old August 25th, 2003, 06:25 AM   #4
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Welcome cobywan. Awesome looking work so far. Let's see more.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 06:07 PM   #5
cobywan
Novice

Thanks a lot. It really means alot coming from you guys. But I am afraid that I am at a dead end on this model. The problem is the app I'm using. It really isn't meant for illustration and mapping is almost non existant. I will have to start over in Max. But I still have a Nurbs model that is good for the CNC patterning I want to do.

I will definately post some more pictures showing the surface breakdown but since it is a nurbs surface model it may not be pretty.
Old August 26th, 2003, 02:37 AM   #6
Proximo

You're using Rhino aren't you? Can't you just export it to a format Max can read?
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #7
cobywan
Novice

I have done some preliminary exports. but they totally lack any of the elegance I have seen posted here and what a friend of mine has done. I will try to get some shot up in the next week or so. The way Rhino creates it's plygon meshes from nurbs surfaces is quite.......interesting.
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #8
Proximo

Ahh, well I've never used it before so I wouldn't know. I have heard though that i can be tweaked in to outputting useful meshes. Someone around here should know how.