Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old July 31st, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Interceptor

A couple weeks ago, I was watching the 1961 film Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. While I was watching it, I came up with an idea to do a space ship based off of the submarine Seaview from that film. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, look here. Though, as with most of my “good” ideas, I didn’t start right away. Real life distractions and things like playing the video game Mass Effect took up much of my time. However, I finally got a few days ago.

Back story:

For starters, this is from my own Sci-Fi universe; not Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG, etc. Though, while it is my own thing, I’ll be borrowing from other Sci-Fi and even non Sci-Fi stuff. It’s hard to do anything completely original. In the past, I’ve even had ideas that I thought were original, but they later turned out to be something that had been done before and I hadn’t known about it. So, I’m not worried about being totally original.

The year is three thousand something. Humans no longer live on Earth, (for reasons to be determined later) but they live on a series of colonies spread across the Milky Way galaxy. They’re also part of an intergalactic community originally formed by a race called the Korvellins, known as the Korvellin Alliance. (think United Federation of Planets, Galactic Republic, etc.) And, of course, there are other races and factions throughout he cosmos. After all, you can’t have a big Sci-Fi faction without having adversaries. Though, not all races and factions are enemies of the Alliance, some simply choose not to join. I’m still working on the details of some of the races, but I’m thinking the Korvellins have tentacles. They also breathe a different atmosphere than humans, so they don’t typically serve on the same vessels as humans due to the need of cumbersome environment suits. (other races have this issue too, but not all)

Space travel isn’t done through any conventional ideas of faster than light travel. Instead of warp drive or hyperdrive, the ship uses something called subspace streams. The idea is that these naturally occurring, crisscrossing streams exist in subspace and ships ride the streams at great speed to get to where they need to be, making accurate stream maps a necessity for galactic travel. (similar to the slipstream in the TV series Andromeda) So, the ship doesn’t have to have any kind of FTL engine, it simply generates a field that allows it to transition into subspace and, therefore, into the streams. Much of the galaxy’s streams are mapped, meaning you can travel to most of the galaxy, though there are unmapped areas. Stream mapping is extremely dangerous, because you run the risk of getting lost and you also don’t know what you’ll find when you leave the stream and return to normal space. Sensors work within the stream, but scanning normal space while in the stream (or vice versa) is not possible.

So, the ship I’m building belongs to the Korvellin Alliance Defense Force. Much like modern day Coast Guards, the Defense Force has its own command structure and vessels and is independent of the Alliance Navy. The ship is an Interceptor, meaning it’s fast. Note: Interceptor is the type of ship, not the ship’s name. The jargon you see on the right side of the background in the images (KAPV 015824ST) is the ship’s designation. KAPV stands for Korvellin Alliance Patrol Vessel, the rest is the ship’s unique identifier. Though, “ST” unofficially stands for “Star Trek.” Since it’s an interceptor, it’s designed to move more quickly through the subspace streams than most vessels, allowing it to catch other vessels traveling through the streams. That’s why I thought a submarine was a good starting point, since they’re designed for rapid underwater travel. Though, what it makes up for in speed, it lacks in weapons. It’s only going to have a couple heavy cannons and a smaller rear cannon (some kind of particle beam technology.) So, it’s not useful as a front line ship, but it is useful as a scout, a courier or a border patrol vessel. In the last role, the high speeds it can travel would allow it to rapidly evade invaders and make it to a command base to warn the defense forces of a possible invasion, if it couldn’t handle the problem itself.

Size wise, it’s between 100 and 110 meters long. One thing I don’t like about Lightwave is that I haven’t found anything that tells me things like this. In software I’ve used in the past, (TrueSpace and Blender) I can bring up something that shows me length, width, height, etc. I can get all kinds of polygons stats in Lightwave, but I haven’t seen anything like that. If there is such a thing and somebody knows where it is, please tell me. (I’m using Lightwave 10.1) The ship only has two decks. It was originally going to have three, but the bulge on the bottom isn’t large enough and is too round to be a real deck, so I figure there are some water and fuel tanks down there. Don’t even ask me what the mass is. I’m not very good at math (that’s why somebody invented calculators) and I’m not even sure how you calculate mass anyway. For crew size, I’m thinking somewhere from forty to seventy. This thing is roughly submarine size and they pack more people on submarines, but a space vessel requires systems that submarines don’t, which leaves less room for a crew.

OK, here’s what I have so far:

Some wireframes, for those people who like such things:

Now, to some people, probably people who don’t do CGI or who are better at it than I am, it may not seem like I’ve done that much so far. Though, other people who do CGI and are in the same league as me (amateur) know better. Flowing, more “organic” shapes like the main hull and even the engines/pylons aren’t that fast or easy to do. They require a lot of work and a lot of it isn’t anything that can be rushed. The main hull took two tries to get right. I had a few issues with how the final shape turned out on my first attempt, so I had to start all over again. I also had to do two tries for the engines/pylons, but that was easier. The engine shape was almost what I wanted, but it was slightly off. I could have lived with it if I didn’t hate my first version of the pylons. So, I had to redo the engines and pylons because they’re connected. I’ll separate them later, but I wanted to build them connected so that they’d flow together. Anyway, it was a long and tedious process to get where I am. There were some errors that have been connected.

Another thing that slowed things down was deciding if I should put the tower on there and what shape it would be. My first version had no tower:

Then I decided I wanted one, but my first attempt came out way too submarine-like:

(Note: ignore the parts where you can “see through” the mesh, those are non-planar faces that I’m not fixing because I won’t be using those parts. I fixed them on the final version.)

So, there was quite a process involved in this. The only thing that went kind of quickly were the view ports. Note on those: the original Seaview from the film and the first season of the TV series had two rows of four separate view ports. For season two, the ship got a “refit,” which drastically changed a lot of things (including, apparently, the internal volume.) Aside from adding a large launch bay for their new mini sub to the bottom, they also removed the upper row of view ports and made the bottom row into two larger ports, each bisected by a girder. Why they did all this, I don’t know. Since I’m making a space ship and not the submarine, I decided to do my own thing and went with a single row of four separate ports. Behind them will be the ship’s command center.

So, that’s what I have so far.
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

Default Re: Interceptor

Beautiful. Sexy. Sleek. You never fail to impress.
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks a lot, dude.
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:03 PM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Let it not be said that I never listen to suggestions. (I just don’t necessarily follow them :p) A couple people over at Scifi-Meshes suggested that the back was a bit boring and needed to taper down. So, I went into may pre-sub patched version and tapered the top. I don’t know if that’s what they had in mind, but that’s as far as I’m willing to go with it. I may add a big ol’ retro fin to the back, to add visual interest and because fins are cool. The opening in the back is for some kind of embarkation craft. (shuttle, etc.) I don’t plan on giving this ship the ability to land. No, it’s not very large, but that’s beside the point. There’s just no reason to give a ship that’s designed to operate in space alone that ability. You’re talking about adding a bunch of extra systems to allow it to land and it’s already going to be cramped quarters aboard. Besides, this is the future, there are space stations at every port with which ships dock.

It was also suggested that I make the engines more round, which I’m not willing to do. The engines are designed as they are in order to incorporate the mix of round and “harder” edges that the main hull has. I did change the shape of the bottom slightly and add some “scoops” to the top. Whether or not they serve an actual purpose, scoops are cool. (that’s the only reason I need)

Aside from that, I also changed how I made the ship smooth. Rather than sub patching and then subdividing, which caused some problems (such as those nonplanar “flat” faces that I had to fix) I sub patched and then sub patched again. The result is that my flat faces aren’t nonplanar and there’s no funkiness in the mesh structure. It’s a lot higher poly than it was before, but it’s smooth as can be. I’m not worried about the polygon count, this isn’t a game mesh. The veiw ports have to be completely redone, including the frames, but I haven’t deleted the old frames yet.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Every once in a while, I get a crazy ass idea that just doesn’t work out the way I’d hoped it would. This is not one of those times.

One of the things I’ve had planned from the beginning was to put some big ol’ retro fins on the back. Before I tapered the back end, I was just going to build them traditionally and stick them on straight up and down or, more likely, at an angle. Well, the back end makes putting them on at an angle so that they follow the hull contours a nightmare. So, since that’s out, I decided to go crazy with them and have them be these weird curving things. After all, the ship hardly has any straight lines, why start adding them now? The end result is actually better than I’d hoped it would be.

Yes, I realize they’re completely impractical and serve no purpose. But, I don’t care about that. I’m an artist, not an aerospace engineer. I like how they look and that’s all that really matters to me.
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It should be obvious what I've bee doing today. Not counting adding the winglets, which took only a few minutes, I've spent a good four hours on this. That's on the paneling alone. I watched an entire NASCAR race and some of the post-race interviews doing the paneling. And that's only on the top side. And I'm glad I do CGI and can mirror stuff, so I only had to do them on half.

No underside renders because I still have to do the underside, which I'll tackle later. It won't take as long, but my back and neck have politely asked me to take a break.

Old August 4th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I did the paneling on the bottom. Since it’s not as complex as the top, the paneling went faster. I probably only spent a couple hours on it. Then I finally rebuilt the forward view port frames.

Old August 7th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #8
gmd3d
Admin

Damn that is nice work Chris..... I love it

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks a lot, Ger.

I’ve spent the past couple days having fun. I figured, before I get any farther on this, I need to decide what I’m going to do with the materials. I started out by trying to UV map it. Ha. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, consider yourself lucky. For those who do, you understand my pain. Obviously, traditional “flat” maps are out, this thing has too many curvy lines. So, I started looking at unwrapping.

Lightwave comes with an unwrapper, but it sucks. It creates way too many parts and you wind up with a FUBAR mess. So, I found out about a plugin on the Lightwave forums. I downloaded that and it works great. However, it was creating the map for the main hull as one big blob-shaped thing. I could define edges by selecting them, but that part has 224,254 edges. No way in hell was I driving myself nuts doing that. I could also split it up by surface. Great, except that it was one surface. Yes, I can make it multiple surfaces, but it has over 100,000 polygons. (just for the main hull) So, I went back to my pre-sub patched version. It’s only 826 polygons. So, I went around and made that into a few different surfaces. Then I re-sub patched it. Unfortunately, I also had to redo the paneling. Though, that’s not that bad because I decided I wasn’t 100% happy with my first panels anyway. So, that’s all redone. Then I unwrapped it again.

After unwrapping it, I found out two things: 1. (most important) Lightwave will only export the generated texture to a .eps file that GIMP can’t import. There’s another plugin I could try, but it’s only 32 bit and I use 64 bit Lightwave. And, I don’t have money for any of Adobe’s overpriced software, so that’s out. 2. I don’t really feel like making a bunch of textures on the “sheet” it generates anyway. Since the model has no straight lines, neither would the textures.

So, after all of that, I finally decided I’m just not going to texture it. I decided, since I had to split the damn thing into different materials anyway, I’d just go with a four color scheme with reflections. The colors I chose were eggshell white, robin’s egg blue, cobalt blue and chrome. After doing that, I decided I didn’t like the robin’s egg blue and cobalt blue together, so I changed the robin’s egg blue to sky blue. I like the way it came out, so I’m keeping it. I figure, if I decide to add some grime, (the jury is still out on that) I can add it with some procedural textures with transparency. For the markings, I can do some small textures and apply them like decals. Also, I may do some stripes and whatnot by selecting faces and changing the material on them. I figure that’s faster than textures, it won’t go to crap if you get too close and I’ll have no issues with it following the crazy hull lines.

So, here it is with the new paneling and some colors.

Old August 8th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

After the fun of frakking around with materials lately, I decided to do something less stressful. So, I started detailing the engines.

Up next are some more engine details, then I might start on the guns. The ship will only have two big guns, it’s designed for speed and not necessarily hardcore warfare. Really, detail wise, I plan to let the ship’s flowing design and paneling do most of the talking. I don’t want a bunch of stuff hanging off of the ship because I figure the subspace streams work like a slipstream and that stuff would just slow you down. Plus, I like the idea that Gene Roddenberry and Matt Jefferies had when designing the Enterprise, which is that everything should be contained within the ship’s hull for ease of access. Anything outside would require you to suit up into an EVA suit to fix it when it breaks. So, stuff inside the hull is good. The exceptions, of course, are the engines and the guns will be external also.
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Not much to report. I added some exhaust things to the back of the engines. I also added the ship’s number to the side of the engines. It’s done with simple textures I made in Inkscape, but they get the job done.

Old August 11th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #12
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

In the words of Clarence Boddicker:

“Guns, guns, guns!”

(If you don’t know what I’m talking about, watch Robocop.)

Since the rest of the ship has kind of a retro look to it, I wanted the guns to have a retro look also. So, I designed them to look like a cross between battleship deck guns and old school Sci-Fi laser cannons.

Old August 12th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #13
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Work, work, work.

I added a bunch of stripes and stuff. I still have to do the bottom, but the top is coming along nicely. I also added a hatch to the tower. Even though this isn’t a submarine, I figured a submarine hatch is a good place to find inspiration. It fits with the retro look I’m going for. By the way, it turns out you can find lots of pictures of submarine hatches on the internet. Finding dimensions for a submarine hatch, however, is another story. So, I finally decided to just wing it. The hatch is a little over 1.5 meters wide. I figure that will do fine. (you go through it vertically) I decided one isn’t enough, so I also added one to the bottom. It required a minor modification of the mesh structure down there to make the “opening” for it, but nothing major.

Old September 30th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #14
lcamaral
Shuttle Pilot

I really like how the hull curves make it streamlined and give a strong feel of speed, while the rounded nose keeps it of being too agressive.
I think the lines you just added to the hull also add a lot to the sense of motion.

Only thing I have to crit is that it seems that when adding the bottom guns, the mesh in front of it got a bit rugged, or perhaps it's just the reflection map you are using and the angle?

anyway, neat model.
lcamaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #15
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Thanks. The problem with the bottom guns is probably the reflection map, though I can take a look at it when/if I get back to working on this model. Unfortunately, I'm at a creative block on it. Plus, I've been working on some Star Trek stuff (again.)