Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > The Help Zone
Notices
The Help Zone This is where questions are asked about how certain things work in your apps.

Old November 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #1
psycoderek

Default The Bryce zone.

Ok I hope the mods don't mind but I am starting a bryce zone.
Bryce is a 3D application for all your renders.

To get you started with bryce I have written a quick guide to save you all the hassle of looking through the help files. It is very basic and comes with screen grabs but it outlines the basic functions of bryce. I use version 6 but it is applicable to version 5.

Bryce is available from http://www.daz3d.com/ and i think there is another link somewhere here in the forum for a download site from cnet.

Ok get the quick start guide from here
http://digitalvault.bt.com/invite/lo...a&r=mg&lang=en

and get playing with Bryce.

I will use this post to link you to more Bryce related stuff as I go unless the mods say other wise.

I appologise in advance if this is not the correct course to take and will take any advice offered by the moderators.

Thanks Psyco
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2
psycoderek

Default Re: The Bryce zone.

First render tut now available.

To get you startred I wrote a quick guide for new users. Using the link there you can go to my vault and down load the first render tutorial to get you well on your way. You will also find two other tutorials i wrote a couple of months ago for smoke and flames effects and a bubble making tut.

enjoy.
Pictured below is the result of this tutorial.

Psyco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klingon.jpg (41.9 KB, 4 views)
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #3
psycoderek

Get your copy of Bryce 5.5 here.

http://www.download.com/1770-20_4-0....form%3DWindows

I think this may be in the useful links section if not here you go. You ca also download the Bryce presets from here too. Do not download the Bryce 6 application it costs $99. If you want to upgrade then buy the upgrade pack from Daz studio at half the cost. This will get you started with your renders.

Have fun all.
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #4
gmd3d
Admin

No I think it a great idea and thanks for posting it.. I would incourage all bryce user to make use of it . I will be one of them thanks

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #5
Fretslayer

Just my opinion (after having Bryce'd for several years) but Bryce isn't that strong for starscapes - how about sharing some landscape pics? That would really show off the power of Bryce. It's really, really good at landscape footage.

BTW - Warrior said he was going to hook me up with a YouTube'ish type of code so I can share something with y'all. Now that there is a 'Bryce' page this would be the place to do it.

It's the original footage (now used as story boards) for my SciFi animated film 'The Legacy of Time'.

It's made 99% pure Bryce (the early MetaCreations version!) and the only thing in it that isn't Bryce are my P4 people.

I know it kind of sucks but it's kind of cool at the same time - and it does a good job of showing just how much horsepower you can get out of Bryce if you kick it really hard.

Just so you know Pychoderek - I'm not downing Bryce in anyway - It's what I cut my teeth on. I think Bryce is one of the best 'Welcome to the world of CG' programs out there. It's simple to use and gives awesome results.

It does however have it's limitations and what happened to me is that I hit a plateau with Bryce and only MAX and LWO were able to rescue me.
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #6
gmd3d
Admin

Starscapes or Landscapes .. is good .. Personally Landscapes is an area I like to see .. esp for my land based images Id like to do ..

but I have not had time you to look at the program properly yet

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old November 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #7
psycoderek

Ask and ye shall recieve. I shall start work on a landscape scene and ascociated tutorial right away.

Fretslayer My good friend. I fully understand your sentements. There does come a time when you take a piece of software as far as it can go. That's the nature of your growth. It is heartening that so many cut thier teeth on Bryce and I am very pleased that you still have a soft spot for it.

Thanks to people like you and Teranis I gain in confidence. When I joined 3D gladiators i said i had found a home with like minded people. I was right. I have recieved encouragement and praise for my meagre efforts from people who are kind of heart and generous to a fault.

This kindness makes me strive to improve and share. I have seen your work Fretslayer and it is incredible. I have a lng way to go but I know that in time i will get there. I have yet to try my hand at animation. I am concentrating on Scenes first. animation for me is years away until then I will continue to improve and share what I learn.

thanks guys. I will work even harder to help my new family.
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #8
Fretslayer

You're too kind. LOL!

Something about Bryce that was really important to me when I first used it was that I was able to animate on day one.

I have taught a few of my friends Bryce basics and watched them run with it.
It's a great program to get started in and even at the stage were some around here are at it's still a great tool for landscapes and backgrounds.

I'll always have soft spot for it - Without Bryce I wouldn't have ever gotten the concept of key frame animation. I owe a lot to that program and it makes me smile to know that others are still using it.

Hell, I wonder if I should go back and revisit it now and again.
I think that v.6 allows for importing of Poser and Daz animations. That would be pretty awesome if it did.

I'm going to be sharing something soon that I made years ago in Bryce.
I hope it shows off the software a bit.
It was an old verison I had though - I think it may have been 1.0.
The last version I had was v.5 but by then I was already getting my feet wet in 3DsMax and so I didn't do much in B5.

And yah, this is a pretty cool site because there are so many people using different software and nobody acts like their software is the killer goods and software X is beneath them. I haven't found any snobs around here.
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #9
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
And yah, this is a pretty cool site because there are so many people using different software and nobody acts like their software is the killer goods and software X is beneath them. I haven't found any snobs around here.
I am sure Warrior appreciates that..

but in continuing your thread of thought .. I have seen people make awesome models with programs I would never had thought would be any good.

(This is because I could not use them)

case in point .. Truespace .. never got the hang of it .. so I gave up on it moved to Lightwave.. and could use it . I had given up on Truespace . and thrown it to the scrap heap of CGI haven .. that was until I ran across EG180
and others who have really opened my eyes.

So in short I learned a valuable lesson.. Its not the program but the mind behind it..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old November 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Fretslayer

'...So in short I learned a valuable lesson.. Its not the program but the mind behind it.'

That is so very true.
I've messed with several different modeling and animating tools and I know which ones I'm most comfortable with. That makes all the difference in the world.
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #11
gmd3d
Admin

I have given this thread a rating of (5) for good work

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old November 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #12
psycoderek

Thanks teranis.

ok here is the landscape base tutorial to get you all going. I have uploaded a zip file to my vault called landscapetutorialandmaterials. It includes a snow material for you to use. I am going to put together some of the materials i have found on the net in a zip for Bryce users to download to thier user files shortly.

The link in the intro to the thread is the one you need so go there and click to get to the vault. The images here are the result of the tutorial. The winter scene is the tut scene and the spring scene is exactly the same but wiht the snow all gone. Just a taste of the power of Bryce as a landscape creater.
I have introduced new users to the terrain editor in bryce. It is brief so that you have a good play with it. It is part of my encouragement process. It will help you discover your own potential rather than following mine by the letter.

Enjoy the tutorial and I will write another one soon.

Psyco.
Cool, 5 star rating. I am honored.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winter.jpg (170.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (163.3 KB, 3 views)
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #13
psycoderek

Hi all
here's another tutorial I have created for you. this is a much simpler one following on from the landscape these of the last one.
this is for a basic seascape. You can download it from my vault using the link in the welcome message below.

I used all bryce default meshes and materials so you should have them in your version. If you do not have the Deep sea material let me know and I'll upload it to the vault as part of the materials pack I am preparing.

See the image below for the tutorial result.

have fun all
Psyco.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schooner.jpg (64.1 KB, 3 views)
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #14
gmd3d
Admin

these are great,, I'll have a look soon mate

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old November 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #15
Fretslayer

Bryce always does great water.
All of them are nice images.
Bryce in the right hands is a heck of a thing.
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #16
psycoderek

Thanks guys. i am looking at water splash effects at the moment in Bryce as well as sea spray. It's a tricky effect to pull off. As soon as I have it mastered i will do a tutorial for it. I am also going to look at wind effect as part of my ongoing projects. I am trying to find as much as possible to give members plenty to think about.

I am continuing to push 3D Gladiators over at Daz in an effort to get more people involved. I am especially trying to get the Model builders in here so that they can share a few secrets.

The more knowledgable people i can convince the better it will be for all members here. I am also working on a model and trying to texture without resulting to premade textures. It is quite a challenge along with the bryce stuff but in the end well worth the effort. My partner is looking for more psp brushes for me especially brushes that give a hull plating effect.

I'll post more tuts as i work out the finer points of Bryce and Blender.

Laters my friends.

Psyco
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #17
gmd3d
Admin

sounds good .. I like too see more tutorials too ... I will be looking into one soon .

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old November 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #18
psycoderek

thanks for that. I amworking right now on another water effect called washover.

it's for those rock scenes that have water washing over them. I am going on to develop that into waterfall as well.

here's the first render of the effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg washover.jpg (87.1 KB, 4 views)
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #19
Fretslayer

Ok, I don't know if it's more proper to post this here or in the animation thread.
But I figure that since it's a Bryce thread I'd drop it here for now.

Here is a link to a page I set up for you guys here.
It's my very first animation and it's made 90% in Bryce 3D.
I did this around 2,002 or so.
It's rough but it was my start so it's kind of cool - to me anyway.

Just make sure you read the stuff I posted about it so that it all makes sense and I even have a section at the bottom of the page where you can read a short version of the main plot.

I hope you enjoy it and and all of that.

http://wabashponies.com/dan/

Here's a very compressed version for dial up connections
http://wabashponies.com/dan/LegacyOLD.wmv -- it's only 3mb in size.

In order to get it that small I had to compress it to something like 320x240.
If you are going to load up the dial up version, please look at the webiste link first because it has important information about the file.

Last edited by Fretslayer; November 15th, 2008 at 05:15 PM..
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #20
psycoderek

Enjoy it? It was first class. Who's have thought that was your first animation.
If you hadn't have told me i would have thought you had a few years under your belt before that one.

Superb Job.
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #21
Fretslayer

Want to see something funny?
Go back and watch it again...
At 59 seconds in take a look at the computer screen (the large one) on the desk.
Look familar?
LOL!
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #22
psycoderek

Now that wouldn't be you playing techno geek would it? LOL
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #23
Fretslayer

Do you recognize the screen?
I've not seen that app in a while so I don't know if the newer versions still look that way.
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #24
psycoderek

Bryce has had a make over. there are screen shots of it in my tutorial. Have a gander and see if it looks the same. My water splash experiments are getting frustrating but I am getting close. Now some animation to think about.
I have animate for daz studio as well as jasc animation shop 3 and a few other basic progs from seriff. I'm sure I can dream up a few seconds with that lot. I had a dancing robot avi that I created until my pc went poooof. Must redo that when my new graphics card arrives. mines a little small for 3d at 128 megs and a 200 clock speed. I got clued up by the makers of truespace.
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #25
Fretslayer

Your stuff looks good to me.
I really like the ship shot.
Something about ships in the stormy seas has always captured my interest.
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #26
psycoderek

Thanks frets, My partner loves your animation. i had to show her it is so good.
Old November 18th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #27
Robot
Shuttle Pilot

Bryce is truly a great program, but is there a way to convert Bryce files to be used in other programs? I made some interiors and I don't know how to convert them. Any help in that?
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #28
Fretslayer

That was something I hated about Bryce back when I used it - Lack of export. Grrrr.

The newer versions might support it and DazStudio can probably import Bryce files.
I'm willing to wager that Psycoderek would know.
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #29
psycoderek

If you create an object in Bryce such as a mountain or building then you should be able to use the Eport tab in the files menu and export as an obj file. It's not something I have done yet but I will do some experiments and see. i know when I create a custom terrain it can be exported normally. I assume this is the case with anything created in bryce. I have yet to begin using bryce for making models so I'll do a scratch and see what export formats are available.
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #30
psycoderek

I have tried a scratch model in Bryce 6 and the export option is NOT available. If you create a custom terrain however and even the default one this can be exported. It seems strange that a custom odel can't be exported the same way. i am going to have a play around to see what else can't be done or if there is something missing in the settings option.

I'll get back to you on that one. I'll ask in the bryce forums as well and see what they ahve to say.

psyco