Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old April 1st, 2004, 06:14 AM   #1
Godfrey

Default Lighting Federation Style

Ran across this explanation of the lighting setups for vessels on Star Trek were done, written by someone who was on the CG effects team. Figured I'd post it here for anyone else who hadn't seen it before:

Lighting Federation Style
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Proximo

Interesting article, to be sure... Personally, I've always thought that the trek lighting has deteriorated over the last few years, especially the way they light it in CG. It's less... well it's like there's less effort put in to it. I understand the nature of television requires that things are done as fast as possible, which can limit the scope of some effects, but the lighting is the most important part. Lighting was something that ultimately killed believeability for Babylon 5, although they did do the odd special bit. It's azs if a lot of these houses don't see the need for just one more light at an interesting angle.

My opinion anyway. Still, good article.
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #3
Fabio
Lightwave Samurai

the irony is that in space - there is only one main light source and that's the nearest star - one - not five - not ten - just one
THE ULTIMATE NURNIE COLLECTION Vol 1
WEATHERED TEXTURING
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:19 AM   #4
Proximo

Except when you're near a planet.
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #5
Kakaze

I got a subscription to Newtekniques just for that article—then it died like 5 months later.