Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old March 8th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #1
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Default Freighter/cargo carrier designs

Anybody have some links to TOS or pre TOS freighter or cargo carrier designs that have yet to be modelled? I looked at EAS and other sites but didn't see anything that hasn't already been done.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Masao

Those are few and far between. The TOS freighter designs of Harry Dodema (Prakesh) and Kris Trigwell (Reverend) have been done. I have one small ship on the transport page of the museum site ( http://www.starfleet-museum.org/small_transport.jpg ) but I'm not entirely happy with it. You could also try USS Huron ( http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v...shuron2004.jpg ) . It's been done twice, by Mateen Greenway and "Atrahasis), but that shouldn't stop you. (See huron stuff on this page: http://www.startrekanimated.com/tas_ep_pirates.html ).

Last edited by Masao; March 9th, 2004 at 03:54 PM..
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Interesting ideas. The Huron shouldn't be too hard to do with all those flat edges.
Old March 10th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #4
Masao

The Robot cargo ships hasn't been done in a while either Thomas7g did one years ago, but that's the only one I've ever seen. I have the David Winfrey schematics; if you'd like a copy I can scan them for you.
Old March 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #5
thomas7g

If you do decide to redo the Robot Cargo ship I just wanted to warn you, that big superstructure on the top is drawn differently in two different views. Otherwise its pretty consistant. Though the windows are like HUGE. You can almost fly the Galileo through one.
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #6
Masao

Thomas, are you saying that's a problem with the published Winfrey blueprints. That's perhaps why I had such trouble when I redrew them.
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #7
thomas7g

I never saw them. I just know from frame capturing the show and building it that the superstructure is thinner in a profile shot but wider in a 3/4 view. If I remember right.
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #8
Masao

I just checked my screen caps. Yes, you remember correctly. In such cases, I usually go with the straighter/orthographic view. The Winfrey blueprints (sold by Omega Graphics) choose the thinner superstructure as well.
Old March 11th, 2004, 05:14 AM   #9
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Thanks Masao. I will keep it in mind. Want to see what I can do with the cruiser project before starting something else.
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #10
thomas7g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
I just checked my screen caps. Yes, you remember correctly. In such cases, I usually go with the straighter/orthographic view. The Winfrey blueprints (sold by Omega Graphics) choose the thinner superstructure as well.
If I remember right, I went with a medium inbetween look. Though I think I sould have been brave and gone with the profile view.

I never saw the Winfrey blueprints. But I would be willing to bet your drawings could give them a run for their money.
Old March 12th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #11
Masao

Actually, I pretty much traced the Winfrey blueprints. I'm lazy.
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #12
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Tsk tsk
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #13
Masao

Oh, like you never traced anything before.
Hmph! (sign of indignation!)
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:01 AM   #14
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Not since fifth grade ot thereabouts. I realized early on that I could not draw worth a darn, even after a try in some art school, so I didn't even bother tracing. What would I do with it?
Don't worry, you have quite a portfolio of your own work. We can let slidew a little tracing now and then.