Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old August 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1
shrox

Default my mesh, you mesh

I've been downloading and comparing different 3D models of the Enterprise. It is interesting how different people make their models, the most difference is in the slope of the saucer section. It's amazing how even different plastic models have devations from each other, and you would think they had direct access to the original.

Just noting our differences in how we push our polys.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:38 AM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: my mesh, you mesh

That's something I have done in the past ..I also have found it interesting ..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:53 AM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox View Post
I've been downloading and comparing different 3D models of the Enterprise. It is interesting how different people make their models, the most difference is in the slope of the saucer section. It's amazing how even different plastic models have devations from each other, and you would think they had direct access to the original.
It doesn't help that there were 3 original models and I don't think any one of them looked exactly like another. Also, there are many blueprints sets out there and they all have a slightly different look to them. The funny thing is, I was looking at various blueprint sets recently and watching the show. I'd think one thing was wrong on one blueprint set or another and then I'd see on-screen evidence that it wasn't wrong. It just depends on which model was used in that particular effects shot.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #4
kmkenpo

Your attention to detail is... well... wow. I don't think that I have ever noticed the difference in models from shot to shot.
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #5
shrox

The most noticeable difference is the rear cap of the warp nacells. One version has a white dome on the rear, another has vents on the rear.
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

That's because of the 3 different versions of the ship used throughout the series because of the cost of filming new shots when they had stock footage. The one from The Cage actually had something else on the cap but it was never seen on screen. They did have a few shots from The Cage used throughout the series, but they were all from the front, especially in the first few episodes because they hadn't done a lot of new shots, most notably the shot of the camera panning over the top of the saucer towards the bridge which was part of the establishing shot from The Cage. That one can actually even be seen in Season 3. The version from Where No Man Has Gone Before had the vents in the rear and was used for every fly-by seen from behind when the ship wasn't orbiting a planet in the series. The orbiting shots from the front and rear (but not the side) usually used the series version, which had the globes in the back.

And that's just for the different version. There were also at least 2 different series version models, which have slight differences. All this crap is what makes it so hard to "accurately" model this thing.
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #7
kmkenpo

I need to go back and see this... I am intrigued.
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It's really fun to watch the various fly-bys and see which version of the ship they used. It's one thing you cant' do with the "Remastered" episodes because they used the series version CGI model except for in the flashback shot in The Menagerie and in Where No Man Has Gone Before, since established fandom says the ship was refitted after both of those episodes, giving the ship the 3 different looks.
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #9
shrox

The nacells also had an antenna like probe on the front center of the forward rotator domes at one point, but it is hardly visible on most of the composite shots they used, they was very thin.

And my quarters had not been assigned yet.
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #10
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Charles Casimiro did blueprints way back in 2003 and a new set in 2007. Both sets include the 2 pilot versions of the ship. You can compare the last two sheets with the others and see all the differences.

http://home.earthlink.net/~casimiro/blueprints.html